Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 True Aloha Moment!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  5:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Howdy, Fellow Taropatchers!
I just had to share this with you.

I'm sitting in my home office just a few minutes ago, practicing my guitars per my usual goodnight custom. As always, I ended with my complete (although limited) slack-key repertoire. Just as I began, a rather serious, slow-moving thunderstorm passed through. I raised the shades on the windows, and jus' pressed, as the sky lit up with electricity and thunder roared. Without warning, I was instantly transmitted to the beautiful islands of Hawaii, sitting under a thatched roof, playing the most beautiful and relaxing music that I've ever encountered, all the while watching and hearing the absolute majesty of our planet accompany me!

I think that I have finally realized the true aloha spirit, and wanted to share it with all of you. This truly is magical!

Aloha,
Ben Sterling

Serenading and being serenaded in the Heart o' Texas!

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Sounds like LSD to me.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 05/03/2007 10:04:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  10:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hmm, I do not want to start a battle here. This just isn't the place for it.

I thought it was nice of Ben to share his personal moment with us. The music, the `aina and aloha are so often inter-related. From Texas, why not?!?!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  2:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Ahhh...thunderstorms. We don't get 'em often here in Seattle, but when I visit family in the Midwest, I always love 'em.

The sound of heavy rain on the roof, late at night in Kane`ohe, is also special to me - particularly when accompanied by Hawaiian music.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  3:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dog
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  4:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Yeah, the sound of rain falling on my roof here in Kaneohe in the evening is nice, but it's really the sound of the slow but steady leak in the family room that is so special. There is something about the little drop of water falling into the small cooking pot every two or three minutes. The other special sound is the one my wife makes when she asks me "when are you going to fix the roof?"

PM
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  12:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Awright! Eh...talk about "pidgeon to da max"!!!!!!Bruddah... I know wut you mean 'bout da loud tundah...Eeeahs ago, us guys wus training Puhakuloa....Auwe!!!!! One night da bugah wen come along wit lit'ning! Cuz...da ting wen shoot accross da sky like huge ele'tric bolts!!!!!And wuz some loud!

Ohhhh yeahhh...de'yas nuting like da sound of rain af'tah da storm... 'Az like picking up da kika in open-G....middle fin'gah on 2nd fret 'en G-string...den go...5-3-2-1-2-3-2-1 sev'ral times li'dat....ahhhhhh so nahenahe....'jus like da sound of ua no? and one gentle flowing stream....Try close yo eyes 'en hear wut I mean.......5-3-2-1-3-2-1...5-3-2-1-3-2-1...5-3-2-1-3-2-1........

"slackkey" Bill
Go to Top of Page

Downer Cow
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  05:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Froppe,

I'll be in Austin Monday night, checking out JRE at Friends. Look for one tall haole with an Aloha baseball cap!
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  05:48:13 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean, Menpachi Man - I grew up near the coast of Long Island, and I remember always racing outside to stomp puddles and dance in the rain and watch the summer thunderstorms there. I loved them. I would even ride my bike to the bluffs overlooking the water to watch the lightning (which was all sorts of beautiful colors) play across the sky and be reflected in the sea. Then I moved to the Midwest and hoo-boy, are the storms here NASTY. Turn off all the electronics - except for one TV to watch for tornado warnings- stay off the phone, hunker down and pray your house doesn't catch fire (we have had several in our area hit by lightning).
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  12:33:20 PM  Show Profile
When I was still unmarried living at home with Ma & Pa, my doggie got hit by lightning and fried to a crisp. She loved to chase squirrels and had one treed in the big field behind our yard. It was barely sprinkling. But one giant crack of thunder and lightening split the tree where the squirrel was...split it right down the middle, fried the squirrel, the tree and the dog and left one big hole in the ground where lightening hit the ground. Lightening makes me scared.

It rained on us every day while we were on O`ahu, but like Menpachi said, not like rain over here on mainland. It was soft and warm. Even rained on us while at the Shell for Cazimero's lei day show -- but only for a minute or so. No boddah anyone.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  5:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Years ago when I was attending the East-West Center at UH I lived just a block from Kuhio Beach. I would get up early, catch the bus on the corner of Kealoalani and Kalakauha for school, look at what waves there were (and the few if any surfers), voraciously suck up what my amazing professors offered, and bus back to my ramshackle, rat infested wooden domicile. Then I would pick up my monstrous (by today's standards) hand made board and head for the beach.

Sitting outside whatever break there was, salt encrusted as I hoped to be, I would watch the inevitable clouds come over the Pali and dump clean, clear water on me. It may have happened for only a few moments but it was a wonderful experience.

Dinner was usually mahi mahi at the International Market Place (a buffet now long gone) and watching the short show featuring dancers. I later realized they did tamare and Moari poi ball quite well, as well as hula for tourists.

Then back to my room to study, write, and keep the rats at bay.

True aloha moments, indeed.

I would do them again in an instant.

And almost have,
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
Growing up in Michigan, I too recall the awesome display that a thunderstorm can be. I still watch the storms during summertime visits.

My aloha moment came thanks to ki hoalu, nothing to do with lightning. I had been learning and playing several slack-key tunes -- rather mechanically -- for about year or so. Then we decided to go to the winter AMC on Molokai.

I arrived after about 40 hours in airports and in planes (straight from a funeral in Michigan, through home in Anchorage, then to Molokai). Camp was not yet started, and very few people were around.

I eventually took my guitar and my wounded spirit to sit under a tree at the edge of the beach. I started to play slowly while watching the waves, the sun, the blue sky, and the palm trees. Just absorbing the sights, the sounds, the smells. After a while there was a sort of trance, and I finally GOT IT for the first time! I started to understand nahenahe and the aloha spirit. I still get chicken skin thinking about the episode. That moment alone was worth the trip, and the entire AMC was a bonus on top of that.

Aloha,
Earl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000