Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Looking for Ideas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  09:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi everyone,

There are so many players and music lovers here with wonderful ideas, that I thought I'd pick your collective brains. I'm in the final stages of manufacturing for my second album. Like a number of folks in the Patch, I'm a small, independent musician, dependent on grass roots marketing efforts.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/plans/thoughts on various ways to market an album in today's world? And, if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to share what's worked for me in the past.

Thanks to all!
Darin

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  11:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Darin -

I'm assuming you are hooked up with all the online sources? But, inasmuch as other TPers may not know about the subject, here are few couple thoughts:

1) Sign up with CDBaby & then go with their digital distribution service. Best deal in the biz.

2) If you haven't yet manufactured your CD, check out CustomFlix.com. They do on-demand CD printing & fullfillment. That means you can send on-line buyers to them via your website. Customflix will print out and mail the buyer a CD and send you a check. They also get your CD up on AmazonAdvantage.

Even better, you can order short run CDs (as in, 50 copies for gig) with full color grafix, jewel cases, shrinkwrap & barcodes, for a very reasonable price. No more trying to store 2500 CDs under your bed. (BTW gang -- it takes a hell of an effort to sell 2500 copies of a self-produced CD. As in, constant touring, constant promo, yadda yadda. No matter what Oasis or Discmakers tell you...)

3) Get a MySpace page (I haven't done that...)

4) If you want to sell your songs, consider Taxi, an independent A&R outfit. I haven't done that, either.

5) I have had zip luck with buying a cut on one of the myriad compilation CDs you'll be pitched if you do go with Oasis, Discmakers or one of the other mass duplication outfits. Sorry, but 99% of DJs toss 'em. But try it if you think your cut will stand out.

6) Give lots of stuff away... on your website, on your myspace page, etc. Hand deliver CDs to radio. (Darin's lucky to live in a state that actually plays local artists; for the rest of us, cultivate your local public radio or community access DJ.) Try to get it reviewed. (Why can't Hawaiian music get any ink in Songlines, Dirty Linen, Sing Out, The Beat, or any of the 10,000 alt & world music mags????) Give away more CDs. If you have a friend of a friend who's working on a film or TV show, give 'em a CD. Donate music for public service produtions. See if your local TV station can use a cut under the weather or traffic segment (ask Chris Proctor about this one.) Get it on a music service. Sit on the beach at sunset every night and play for the tourists (works for Doug & Sandy on Kaui; that leaves a lot of open islands...), send CDs to the editors of the Rough Guide, go to the FolkAlliance or South by Southwest or any of the other booking cattle calls, try to get noticed & pay lots of money to stuff your cd in the gimme-bags. Hire a publicist. Buy a billboard on Sunset Blvd with a picture of yourself in a bikini. Works better if you look good in a bikini...

7) But it really comes down to this: Sell 'em off the stage. Which means playing. A lot.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  11:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Aloha e Darin: Just saw the Petrol "Hawaii: Greatest Songs Ever" compilation in a store a couple days ago - was pleasantly surprised to see "Lisa's Lullaby" included - congrats on the inclusion. =Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  12:00:52 PM  Show Profile
I never thought about making a CD, so I never looked into any of this, but you may be able to get airplay from someone such as Slack Key Paradise,Aloha Joe, or Hawaiian Rainbow. S K Paradise is an independent through www.live365.com/stations/arthadley2 www.alohajoe.com. www.hawaiianrainbow.com . Also, let all us TP Buggahs know where to buy it. There's no reason we can't support our friends.Maybe those of you who sell your recordings could get together on some of the sales aspects, plug each other to your audiences or something?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 05/23/2007 12:01:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  11:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Darin - you probably know more about this subject and have had more success than most here. Nevertheless, nice to see some good feedback.
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Hand deliver CDs to radio. (Darin's lucky to live in a state that actually plays local artists; for the rest of us, cultivate your local public radio or community access DJ.)

Not to highjack Darin's post but is this true? I do not know the subject well but more often than not I've heard that the 50th state suffers from similar radio play issues to the rest of the mainland. My understanding is that the bigger stations on O`ahu are owned by the big boys where some guys on the mainland sit in a room to decide what will be popular (most radio & commercially friendly). Local artists may be played, but it's the same artists and some really old songs that are in the rotation. I've been told that it is extremely difficult to get a new release radio play. A friend told me that the outer islands were better.

In some ways, the internet is leveling the playing field for the little guy. Nobody says it's easy but myspace and youtube have proved to be a unique and potentially powerful way to get your music out there.

Anyhow, I am excited about the release. Full disclosure, I am biased because I understand that there is a very nice track done in collaboration with some dude in New Jersey.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  4:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Thanks for the advice.

Mark, you're the best. You are a wealth of knowledge. Let me respond according to each of your suggestions.

1) My first album is on CDBaby, and I certainly plan to put the second one there as well. I agree. They are excellent. I've found another service, www.tunecore.com to also be helpful. They put music in the international iTunes stores. It's a nice supplement to the digital distribution you get through CDBaby.

2) Customflix looks cool. I see they're owned by Amazon. Is there an advantage to using customflix over a service like cafepress? Also, my stuff is up on Amazon.com currently.

3) Myspace. It has been helpful for me. I find that it's a good supplement to a website, but not a replacement. It's a good way to draw people to the main website. It's also extremely time consuming, so I guess that's the tradeoff.

4) I've been looking at Taxi. It's just a bit difficult to tell whether it will be worth the membership fee. I guess it's worth a shot at least once.

5) I agree with the Oasis compilation. I did both albums with Oasis. I think the extra promotion they gave the first time was worth the added sticker price. I'm not so sure this time.

6) Yes, I do use a lot of cd's as promos. They make pretty business cards, don't they? In response to Andy's post, Cox Radio owns the major Hawaiian terrestrial radio stations in Hawaii, and yes, it is virtually impossible to get new music on those stations. I think the outer island stations are probably more receptive. Internet radio is wonderful, and they have been very receptive in the past.

7) I just moved back to Hawaii, so I'm just now starting to get out and play live a bit more. It's great fun!

8) I think podcasts are a great way to promote. There are some awesome podcasters here on TP. The podcasting (and vodcasting) community are soooo supportive. They're really wonderful.

9) Licensing. I've been very fortunate on the licensing end, both for subscription services and for television and film. In reality, the licensing end dominates the physical sales, and I suspect that will continue to be the case. Certain folks here at TP have been a wonderful help!

Retro - That's very exciting that you saw the compilation in the store! I knew it was coming out, but didn't see it on the Petrol website. I checked this morning and it's up on iTunes.

rendesvous1840 - Thanks for the kind words of support. It's wonderful how folks here are so supportive. I actually connected initially with Andy partially through this site. My new album is scheduled to be in my hands in two weeks, and I'll try to get it up on CDBaby, etc. as soon as I can following that. I'll let you folks know when it's up. A couple of the tracks from the new album are up on my Myspace page at the moment: www.myspace.com/hawaiiguitar

Andy - Yup, I hear there's a killer guest artist on the album, and he's from New Jersey! No, not Bon Jovi.

Darin

Edited by - Darin on 05/24/2007 4:19:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  04:32:01 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Darin!
I have DishTV here in the Los Angeles area. Channel 987 plays exclusively Hawaiian music and i've heard some fairly obscure music there. My guess is that they'd include your music. I have no idea if that will actually help sales, but they do give the pertinent info while it's playing.
Best wishes!!
auntie nancy
PS: Since this is Asia-Pacific Islander month (I don't know if that's California or national), there is a bit more hitting the airwaves locally. Last night I was lucky enough to catch "Ki Ho`alu; Slack Key Guitar" on Riverside (east of LA) PBS station. I know others, perhaps Seattle, have had it on as well. My guess is that it will indirectly help sales with all the music out there.
If you can price your CD such that it's easy to buy a handful, it makes a perfect gift for older folks who don't need more "stuff".
Have fun!

Edited by - Pua Kai on 05/25/2007 04:36:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  06:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
On 6/1/2007 I will launch 50th State Radio in a new format on Live 365. The station site will promote new artists and their CD's as well as on air promotion and add their songs to our 24/7 play list.

The station already has a large following where it is currently based, but our test period at 365 has already indicated a huge increase and a global audience

Contact me via Taro patch e-mail or call 702 260 2807 to discuss getting you set up.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  08:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

Aloha e Darin!
I have DishTV here in the Los Angeles area. Channel 987 plays exclusively Hawaiian music and i've heard some fairly obscure music there. My guess is that they'd include your music. I have no idea if that will actually help sales, but they do give the pertinent info while it's playing.
Best wishes!!
auntie nancy

They already do. That's my Muzak program - it plays all over in Island businesses, and his first album has seven cuts in rotation, so I am certainly looking forward to #2.

I think the Hawaiian music is ch. 981. He's also in my programs on ch. 970 (Plaza) & 977 (Aura.) Glad to know that you listen at home!
=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  08:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow Don!!
That's terrific! What an excellent venue for our publishing `Ohana here! Is that the internet radio I was finally able to get a few months ago? It's not totally user-friendly to Mac users and the latest free software wasn't supporting Macs. I had to get my earlier version from a friend who still had it.
Be sure to let me know how to hear you! And will announce it around - like at Bob's and Paul's Kitchen (Keneke-Ka).
mahalo nui loa!!!
n
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  1:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Darin -

Well, I figured you were hip to any tips I might have, &, being considerably younger, no doubt way ahead of me in terms of alternative and net stuff. Pobably look better in a bikini, too.

quote:
2) Customflix looks cool. I see they're owned by Amazon. Is there an advantage to using customflix over a service like cafepress? Also, my stuff is up on Amazon.com currently.

Yes, Amazon owns them. The big advantage of using their service for getting sales through Amazon's website is that you don't have to pack up and mail out a small number of CDs every so often. Amazon Advantage tends to do "just in time" inventory & I can't tell you how many times I've had to drop everything and mail one or two CDs. Which always means swallowing the shipping costs.

I even put "The Water is Wide" on CustomFlix, even tho it was already selling though Amazon. I just got tired of constantly mailing CD; and eating it if they got damaged in transit.

I haven't tried selling CDs through CafePress. Has that been useful for you?

I'm currently trying to get placed with Muzak, found out none of my back catalog was in the databanks -- haven't heard boo, though.

Good luck!

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  2:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Mark,

Yes, I've had the same issue with Amazon Advantage. It's a lot of work to send cd's one by one. I will definitely look to customflix to make life easier.

I haven't used cafepress yet. I wouldn't use them for cds, since I'm doing a full run, but I may try to use them for apparel (t-shirts, mugs, etc.).

Nancy, I've been doing bulk pricing with the first album. Usually $10/copy for more than one copy. I'd be happy to send multiple copies to whoever wants them for gifts after I have the new album in hand.

Don, I'll send you an e-mail through TP. Thanks!

This community is the best.
Darin

Darin
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

I'm currently trying to get placed with Muzak, found out none of my back catalog was in the databanks -- haven't heard boo, though.
Sorry, Mark - didn't I do boo to you yet? I will do further boo after Folklife finishes me off.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  09:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Change of plans, all - got unexpectedly laid-off this week, when the company decided to shut down our entire Seattle music-programming office; part of their "reorganization." No can help with Muzak no mo.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  10:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Greg -

Sorry to hear about your unexpected retirement.

Just so's ya know, I did follow up on your earlier e-mail and sent a couple CDs to whatshisname at corporate HQ (I followed up, but gawd knows where I stashed the info...).

So it's him I haven't heard boo from.

Other than that, I wish you all the luck in finding joy, love, health and peace. Or a new job.

yr pal,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  10:34:37 AM  Show Profile
Greg - I am so sorry to hear that. What an exciting career you must have had with them. If I can help in any way, let me know. About as much as I know is how to find federal jobs - www.usajobs.gov. I do not know what your background is, but if you have a college degree you can get just about any federal job, depending on the salary you are willing to start at. Don't hesitate in immediately applying for unemployment benefits. Its what it is there for.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000