Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke Slack Key Book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  5:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
This is an update to you all who have contacted me and are waiting patiently for this project to be finished. The cover design is completed and I sent back the galley proof to make two slight corrections to images that slipped away. I found out the hard way that images are squirrely when using publishing software. Hopefully it will be published by end of June. I will let you know when it happens. Check out the cowboy cover design at

http://ukeslack.blogspot.com/

Remember the legend of how it was the cowboys of Mexican/Spanish origin who gave the Hawaiians tunings that became slack key?

Aloha, Uncle Dave

preston
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  03:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Uncle Dav,
Am waiting for this book. Looks good. Are you going to include a dvd with videos of you playing? I have watched you on youtube and think the videos are great.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  06:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Hello Preston. Using the power of the internet for video tutorial rather than packaged CD to get away from the high cost of production. A private site has the tutorials and the YouTube is being used to show how the performance side of the song works. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  11:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Lose the cowboy (shudder). Put yourself on the cover.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  1:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I see the cover price is $18.95? Will there be an ISBN associated with the book? This number is derived from a list assigned to individual publisers beginning with their ID number and typically ending with the price in dollars and cents. (I've forgotten the name of the company that assigns ISBN numbers. They used to just send publishers a printed list, but now they've got software that generates the bar codes.) The ISBN makes it much easier to locate, because it is unique, and can be a sticking point with some on-line retailers, who maintain inventory based upon it. In addition, there may be some need for a bar code for scanning purposes at cash registers. You can locate on-line resources to help with the bar code. Local retailers can test it for you with their scanners if you find a store manager who agrees to help beforehand. Your publisher will probably take care of this, but you've put the price where the bar code symbol and price would typically go.

Will this book be sold through Barnes & Noble on-line (www.bn.com)? Note that retailers typically expect a 100% mark-up on the wholesale price.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  2:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Good luck with your book and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 05/25/2007 4:04:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  4:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
When does this thing come out, anyway? I want to recommend it to the local library system as a book they should purchase, but not until its available. (Your publisher should try to get you hooked up by telephone with the LA radio station that showcases ukulele talent for an interview linked to the book. It's named on another recent post about an interview with Steve Espaniola. What about a word to "All Things Considered" or "Morning Edition"? A slack key ukulele book is a fairly rare object.)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  08:15:29 AM  Show Profile
Any updates on the publication date?
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  12:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Update: Thanks guys. I have to apologize for delays. So many images that print techs kept giving me page setting errors. Finally got to approve the draft copy and the galley proof should be here soon. Again, basic distributors will be Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble (internet store). Will surely let you know when it arrives. Author signing is scheduled for a Saturday at Basically Books bookstore in Hilo (sometime in August we hope).
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  3:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Will you be doing a generic signing of the copies distributed through Amazon and BN.com?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Aloha Lokahi. RE: Generic signing. I don't think so - - just wrapped around the axle trying to get it to final stage. Mahalo.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  10:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Speaking of ukulele books. It's August, and I'd love to be able to order this one from Barnes and Noble, oh yes I would...

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  12:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Guess what I found on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Slack-Key-Hawaiian-Styling/dp/143270625X/ref=sr_1_1/103-6214545-5044600?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188338920&sr=1-1

I guess I'll call the local BN store and see if they can get a copy locally.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  3:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Contrary to information at the publisher's web site and prior posts on this thread, this book is not yet available through Barnes and Noble on-line (www.bn.com). This is a major impediment to my inclination to purchase it, though I've been looking forward to it for months. I've got this BN gift card, you see... I was hoping to order Mark's book and this one at one time from the same source to avoid double shipping charges. Grrr....

Guess I go back to Alligator Boogaloo and "Beyond the Sea". Nice piece to use to expand my chord repertoire...

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  4:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
For anyone, like me, waiting for Barnes & Noble to put this book on their list, so we can get it locally and save shipping, I contacted the publisher and asked the relevant question.
Their response:

Yes it should be available from B&N soon.
Sincerely,
Jeanine

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

berean_315
Akahai

96 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  07:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit berean_315's Homepage
I ordered my copy from Amazon, and they sent me an E-mail that said it was shipped on Saturday (9/22/07). Should receive it in a couple of days.

http://www.youtube.com/berean315
http://www.reverbnation.com/greadore
How to Play the Tahitian Ukulele PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/jz0219v8ec7bitu2h3mb
Tahitian Ukulele, Music & Language PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/7xdrebqoulugrvehf43l
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000