Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 7th wonders...altered dominants and minor wonders.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  08:33:52 AM  Show Profile
I was playing around today, and thinking about some of the nice colors that Ozzie, and all the masters use.
In a dominant function (any 7th chord that is like "G7, C7 etc...not minor seventh or diminished)...but they have similar coloring areas.. There are nice "clusters" and color tones...
and it is fun to experiment with altering the 9ths...flat, sharp and "normal"--my term, not official...
when these tones ring against the open and other chord tones, it makes some nice dissonances...
By exploring the changes in high and low alteration options on 9ths, 5ths and maybe an 11th or 13th...I hear some of the more complex sounds, the sounds we hear on recordings become less intimidating...
any other explorers been here?

Minor 7ths, and diminished too offer nice and easy colors options... usually again, the 7ths, 9ths 11ths, and 13ths...all extensions of those D7 and other dominant (V or V7) chords...

You don't, of course have to understand theory to be playing these....but it's a nice tool, once your brain and body go beyond the fear.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 05/27/2007 08:35:58 AM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  11:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the dark side.
I go through a couple of months of playing with these "altered tones," and then going back to very simple playing. Each time I cross over from one style to the other I feel a renewed appreciation of both styles. It also keeps me fresh. For the last two weeks or so I've been messing around with minor 3rds. as a base, adding on 6ths and 9ths. Very nice. I've lowered the B to Bb so I can get the G minor open.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  2:36:29 PM  Show Profile
With C6 on steel, you get the minor chord on top of the major, for free, and it is also an inversion. Lucky us. The Dom 7ths are all on one fret, with some open strings which are immediately closed. Lucky us. The other odd chords are simple to form, in a sequence, as on a fiddle. Lucky us. Lap steel beginners are forced to fool around with the kind of experimentation you describe, because it is the easiest way to make good sounds.

Also, in my case, I am freed from the responsibility of forming bass or rhythm patterns. Lucky me. A fiddle should also be pure melody, if it wants to be.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  2:37:33 PM  Show Profile
I have recently talked with some of the "Masters" on Oahu. My "takeaway" from those conversations is that many of the slack key greats will use the bass string to set the root tone for a chord and add in a second, drop a third, add in a 9th, add in a dominant seventh, or whatever to alter the mood of the song, create variety and interest and create their own style or arrangement of a Hawaiian melody. There was a lot of experimentation going on without so much as a thought to music theory. The G2sus is a common variation to the Open G Major and sounds really nice in the right place. In addition some of the tunings intentionally add in a ninth (could be a second in some places). Whoa!!!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  08:15:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

With C6 on steel, you get the minor chord on top of the major, for free, and it is also an inversion. Lucky us. The Dom 7ths are all on one fret, with some open strings which are immediately closed. Lucky us. The other odd chords are simple to form, in a sequence, as on a fiddle. Lucky us. Lap steel beginners are forced to fool around with the kind of experimentation you describe, because it is the easiest way to make good sounds.

Also, in my case, I am freed from the responsibility of forming bass or rhythm patterns. Lucky me. A fiddle should also be pure melody, if it wants to be.

...Reid

And, on the steel, if you put a Bb on the bottom in place of the C, you get 7th chords, 13th chords AND diminished chords - almost everything you need.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  08:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
And, on the steel, if you put a Bb on the bottom in place of the C, you get 7th chords, 13th chords AND diminished chords - almost everything you need.

Then why does the lead singer get all the chicks?

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  09:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Once again, the mana`o of the kane -- always worryin' about chicks.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  12:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
In answer to Mark's question (as a lead singer myself):
"Because the drummer was busy."
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm alergic to chicken. Maybe that's why I never got any.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000