Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Tab for Sweet Lei Mokihana?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ana
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  8:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a uke tab for this song? I'm trying to pick it out from the Hui Ohana album I. Thanks!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  12:45:03 AM  Show Profile
That is one very nice song. Such sweet voices. Dem boys was so good togedda. That whole album/CD is wonderful. It is one of my month of May CDs in the car. Listen to `em over and over. Ever see that unusually-shaped Tahitian banjo or `ukulele that Dennis Pavao plays sometimes? Unique sound. We saw one at the Paradise Cove luau we went a few weeks ago. By the way at that luau, there was a very good musician playing "background" music while the guests were sucking up their free included maitais -- kind of jazzy music. Paul and I were the only ones sitting at a picnic table in front of him listening. He played a swell jazzy version of Hi`ilawe and when he was finished, we were the only two clapping. He probably thought we were polite tourists. Later on, we approached him and thanked him for sharing his version of Hi`ilawe with us. He was quite taken aback that we knew the mele and asked if we were local.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  07:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha e Ana,
Welcome to Taropatch! We're a friendly group (most of the time).
I play this song in G:

[G] Sweet lei [C] moki[G]hana
Au[D7]hea [G]`oe
[E7}Ku`u [A7]lei nani `oe
[D7]Poina `ole[G]

As a matter of policy here at Taropatch, we generally don't give away tabs. The Hawaiian music family is pretty small and we want to be pono about how we share the music. But make some friends here and if you need help with a song, someone can help you directly.

Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 05/30/2007 5:10:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  3:29:06 PM  Show Profile
I listened to the CD over and over while painting my bathroom. There is an E7 before the A7 for "Ku'u". To borrow from Slipry1, the song is a bit "crooked" and that can make it a challenge to hear the E7.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  5:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I agree. I've added it. If it is a slow song, there is often a VI chord in there somewhere.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

ana
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for your help! That song is one I learned a hula to when I was a keiki living on Oahu and it gets stuck in my head whenever I think about Hawaiian music. I just started playing ukulele and it's so hard to find Hawaiian tabs, I really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  6:39:20 PM  Show Profile
May I suggest you have someone help you learn a couple of dozen chords and then you'll be able to make use of a lot of resources, both published and on the net. Not as hard as it may first seem.
Go to Top of Page

ana
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  09:38:52 AM  Show Profile
I've been able to learn chords off different websites (esp. sheep entertainment, they're really helpful). I'm ok at picking out tunes but figuring out chords for songs is tougher.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  10:48:53 AM  Show Profile
A really good source for Hawaiian music tabs is "He Alohe Mele" (aka "The Blue Book") which has chords and the fingering for `ukulele chords. The tab for Sweet Lei Mokihana is included in C. A lot of people that we kanikapila with have the same book, which makes playing together so much easier.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  5:37:10 PM  Show Profile
www.ukulelestrummers.com
Try this link, there's a lot of playing info plus they have lyrics and chords to a bunch of songs. No tabs, but to strum and sing tabs aren't really necesary. Work on the chords, and on keeping a stesdy rythm to sing with. When you can do that, you can have a lot of fun, while you learn the more intricate stuff.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  12:56:59 AM  Show Profile
The same web site that Bob Benzel told us about that had the video about wa`a builder Puakea (and Bob's music in background)....has pretty good videos on learning `ukulele. I know absolutely nothing about `ukulele, but have been thinking about getting one. I watched these lessons over the weekend, and they are very well taught and begin at the beginning. And I do mean at the beginning, first just how to strum...use your hand and wrist and don't be moving your whole arm...and it goes on from there. Taught by a young fella (they all look young to me, darlin`) last name Guererro (any relation to Uluwehi).

Anyhow, here is link for the `ukulele lessons. Videos are free to watch but you do need to register and sign in when you want to watch. http://www.iamhawaii.com/videos/search?searchshow=Ukulele+Lessons&class=show

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/05/2007 12:57:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000