Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Herb Ohta Junior Interview and Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  07:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I just listened to the Herb Ohta, Jr. (KPFK) interview. He's fantastic! Is it my imagination, or is he performing pieces that sound like ukulele slack key, with very long phrasing? Maybe its just his Hawaiian roots that's bringing it all together. He's playing some great music. (It's a real eye opener for a beginner like me with aspirations to write slack key ukulele music some day...you know, the type that actually sounds good. )

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 06/04/2007 07:47:08 AM

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  09:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Herb Ohta JR> is one of the best ukulele players around and is the son of the living legend Ohta San(Herb Ohta SR.) Get some early recordings of Ohta San and compare the two. Like father, like son, but don't tell them that!? Both have the same technique and philosophy about the uke sound.
Compare them to James Hill, very different. Jake Shimabukuro is a more advanced Ohta San. Keep an eye on Britni Paiva, David Kamakahi, Evan Tom, Kathryn Miyahira and Aaron Duffy for new directions that the uke is headed.
Ohta San Sr. made his mark on the uke world in the late 50's and early 60's and continues to entertain today. Ohta San inspired me to play the uke, although I didn't start until many years after I first heard him. One piece he did, 'Sushi', opened my eyes to the uke. After about 20 years of playing the guitar, standard and various slack tunings, the uke was easy to pick up.
I met Ohta San, before Jr. was born, at the UH where he taught and remember him to be a very nice guy and a highly regarded teacher at the UH. Ohta San is responsible for giving the uke a more prominent role in the Hawaiian folk music world. His style of playing inspired others and soon we had a lot of pickers in the Hawaiian genre. Along with some of his friends, Eddie Kamae and Roy Sakuma, they brought the uke to the forefront of the music world. Later, Troy Fernandez took the lead until Jake hit the scene. All the while, there are lots of fantastic uke players everywhere. I have come into contact with many players who are just as good as the above mentioned artist and sometimes better. But these players are not published or not interested or don't fit into the music industry. There are elements of the industry that deter or undermine the music and magic that some people have to offer. The goal is to find your inner voice, not to win a grammy. Winning a grammy is easy. Finding your inner voice is harder and more meaningful when attained.
Ohta Jr.(Little Ohta) is a refreshing and good fun entertainer with impecable technique. His relaxed manner of playing is rich and intricate and draws the listener into an enjoyable, soothing state. My favorite recording is 'From the Heart' with Keoki Kahamoku.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  09:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Just last week, I got to see some footage of Evan Tom (one of Hiram's students) performing at the `Ukulele Festival - in Heyward, I think? That's one kid with some great chops - keep your eyes and ears out for the chance to hear him play.

Ohta-San is definitely a huge reason why people can take the humble `ukulele seriously as an instrument, by going worlds beyond just rhythmic accompaniment; his techniques for blending chords and melody have influenced countless players worldwide. Though Ohta-San stayed most often in the jazz and pop-instrumental worlds, Herb Ohta, Jr., has a clear love of the Hawaiian song repertoire. He's doing some great things in that realm, both solo and with folks like Keoki Kauhumoku and Daniel Ho. His talent as a teacher means that many of us get the opportunity to pick up on his skills and aloha.

When it comes to the daddy of Hawaiian-music uke players, all roads lead back to Eddie Kamae; you'll get that same answer from Herb Jr., Jake, David Kamakahi and so many more.

Edited by - Retro on 06/04/2007 11:34:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  10:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
All I know is the father makes me want to play jazz on a ukulele, and the son makes me want to write slack key music for ukulele. (My hat's off to Ohta Jr., because I can't believe that slack key influence in his music is purely accidental. His music sounds so alive. Way to go!) What a talented family!

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  11:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Herb Jr. is both a genius and a genuinely sweet guy.

But no sense of humor, sad to say.

Fran
<grin>

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:08:29 PM  Show Profile
I was told his "girlfriend" keeps telling him to smile on stage. Nobody likes a frowning performer, she said.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:52:17 PM  Show Profile
I respectfully disagree about Herb's sense of humor. He was quite funny the few times I've had a chance to talk to him, but his sense of humor is pretty dry and wry. He has the most unexpected and infectious laugh.

I think his solemn demeanor on stage serves to make what he does look deceptively easy when it really isn't.

Ohta Sr. has long been one of my idols. My parents had his "Cool Touch" album (long out of print), which is what made me want to learn to play.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  2:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
That comes through in the interview when he describes how his father responded when he asked him to pick out a Kamaka ukulele for him (after he'd abandoned the ukulele years earlier). Apparently this was his way of letting his dad in on the news that he planned to take the ukulele more seriously. He seems kind of like the Mozart of the ukulele to me.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  5:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

I respectfully disagree about Herb's sense of humor. He was quite funny the few times I've had a chance to talk to him, but his sense of humor is pretty dry and wry. He has the most unexpected and infectious laugh.

I think his solemn demeanor on stage serves to make what he does look deceptively easy when it really isn't.
<snipped>

Sorry, Momi, I was trying to make a joke. Actually, since Herb reads Taropatch.net and even posts occasionally, I was poking fun at my friend, trying to get a rise out of him.

If you get to see Herb playing with David Kamakahi at their Hilton Hawaiian Village pool bar gig, they reverse the roles that Herb and Keoki play. At the HHV, David does the stonefaced ironic one, and Herb tells the wandering stories and jokes. Herb is equally funny in either stage personna, and even funnier off stage.

My surprise favorite Herb Jr. gig turned out to be Hy's Steak House, where he plays "no talk" ukulele solo to an audience that rarely acknowledges his existence. Like the professional and virtuoso that he is, Herb turned his set into an exquisite miniature concert of hula classics. He spun out these rich arrangements, so sophisticated but still totally Hawaiian.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  09:33:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Sorry, Momi, I was trying to make a joke.

Aha! I wondered, what with the grin next to your signature.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000