Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Bulk Guitar Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  10:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried buying guitar strings in bulk? I'm looking at Martin phosphor bronze (92/8) light strings in bulk. The price is right, about $2.50 a set for 12 sets. The prie goes down as the number of sets ordered increases. I don't perform and just play for my own enjoyment (and hopefuly for the enjoyment of those who might hear me). Anyway, are bulk strings a good buy or does the old adage "You get what you pay for" hold true here?

Thanks for any info. you can share.

All Thumbs

We often feel sad in the presence of music without words; and often more than that in the presence of music without music.

Mark Twain

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  12:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

I'm not sure what you mean by "bulk strings." But I regularly buy strings in quantities of a dozen packages at a time. One benefit, aside from the lower price, is that one is more likely to change strings often when there's a pile of 'em in the closet.

Musician's Friend started out as a mail order string company. They offerred bulk string deals where you'd get six individual plastic packages, each with a dozen of a particular guage. Don't know if they still do that, but I used to buy certain guages by the gross for some of my less common instruments.

No worries about storing them -- just put them in a climate- and gravity-controlled vault as close to zero degrees kelvin as possible at a pressure of - 3.414 atmospheres.

Or maybe your sock drawer.

Edited by - Mark on 06/10/2007 12:24:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  12:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Be careful of the gravity setting if it is too high the strings take on an ovoid shape on the longitudianl plane.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000