Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 iPod Mics & Flash recorders
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  11:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi gang -

I reviewed three popular iPod mics for O'Reilly Digital recently.

As it turns out, there's also a glowing review of the little Boss 4 track flash recorder in the same ish.

Check it out at:
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/

Happy recording.

Mark

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  4:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Like many here, I am heading to Hawaii and wanted to take a recorder. Because there is a possibility that I may record several hours of music non-stop, I will probably take a minidisc machine. I bought 15 discs for less than $15, so I have lots of recording time.
But then I found I could get two one gig SD cards for $20, so I'm thinking of taking an Edirol 09 instead.
At the risk of hijacking this thread, what recorders are people taking to the islands for workshop season and why?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm still using my 40gig iPod w/ iTalk. It's obviously an older version. With all my CDs on it, and all the stuff I've recorded, I still have almost 30 gigs left. It'll record about 10hrs before needing to be recharged, and will fully recharge in a couple hours. I also carry the small circular speaker that I use in my car so can listen back easily. It is way more sensitive to noise when being scooted around than with wind (a consideration at camp) With the ways I use it, it doens't lend itself to the cute covers so it's gotten a bit scratched up - - I've dropped it on pavement - - oops and it's still working well. Fortunately it's hardened better than I would have expected. Bet that doesn't help, Jessie, but maybe it'll help someone else. I've seen the new little gadgets for the iPod that look like a tiny microphone. I wonder how sensitive those are to the wind. Any comments?
By the way, in the tentalows, the 12V outlet is located just below the lightswitch if you'd prefer recharging in your tent.
n
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  5:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
apropos of nothing, I took my minidisc to Hawaii for my vacation. I give it a mixed review. I took it to a jam session with some kupuna and it performed well. The recording time available was critical. Later, I took it to another jam session and the battery died while recording, basically erasing the song I should have gotten. Very frustrating.
Minidiscs have an internal rechargeable battery, which goes bad quickly. Luckily, there is also a provision for a single AA battery if necessary, but it only last around 3-4 hours. If you're not watching it constantly, you may end up with nothing to show for it.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  06:37:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Minidiscs have an internal rechargeable battery, which goes bad quickly
If you treat them right, (i.e. charge and discharge them fairly regularly) the NiMH batteries used in most modern minidiscs will last about two years, then they need to be replaced. This is the same will all devices that use NiCad or NiMH. NiMH batteries are only slightly better than NiCad when it comes to life and the "memory effect". Early minidiscs used Lithium Ion batteries which are far better, but they were deemed too expensive. As you know the better cell phones all use Lithium Ion.

Most of this category of equipment these days whimp-out on batteries altogether by just providing battery slots and no self-charging system at all. This is much worse because it is cheap and forces the customer (i.e. sucker) to use lots of alkaline cells or drag around a separate charger.

My minidisc will record for 16 hours with the internal NiMH and for about 24 hours with the additional strap-on AA cell. As long as I remember to charge overnight I can use it all day without worry. I replaced the "gum-stick" battery after two years and it is due for another. I am going use this machine for another year but next year maybe the technology of the flash recorders will have progressed (and also maybe blank minidiscs will not be available!) so that I will switch to flash for a small 2-channel recorder (but not quite yet).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/12/2007 07:41:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  11:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks Lawrence. I am usually conscientious about my rechargeables, but I don't use my MD much. Any suggestions about where to buy the best gumsticks?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  12:39:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Any suggestions about where to buy the best gumsticks?
Jesse Tinsley

I order such stuff from Minidisco.com. Maybe with a rush rush order they can get you one by friday. P.S. they are not cheap (approx $40 or such), which is why they should be exercised so they don't die prematurely.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/12/2007 07:39:43 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000