Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 James D. Houston's Newest Books
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  6:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
I just had the pleasure of reading two of James Houston's most recent novels, The Last Paradise (1998) and Bird of Another Heaven (2007). Houston, of course, is well known in Hawai'i for his writing on various aspects of Hawaiian culture, including Hawaiian Son: The Life and Music of Eddie Kamae (2004). He also is excellent on California and Pacific Rim topics, both fiction and non-fiction. He co-authored Farewell to Manzanar with his wife, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston. I've read most of his stuff and the two novels listed above are excellent reads filled with fine insights into Hawaiian culture. His treatment of music, especially in Bird of Another Heaven, should be very appealing to members of the taropatch.
Enjoy,
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  07:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
This post needs to be moved to the "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar/Hawaiian Music" forum...this forum is for slack key instruction books.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/15/2007 07:18:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  07:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hmm, even I get confused where posts belong. Anyone interested in becoming a Taropatch.net moderator? There is no pay but you can impress yourself, if not, your friends.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  07:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Anyone interested in becoming a Taropatch.net moderator? There is no pay but you can impress yourself, if not, your friends.
I thought we ALL had that job already!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  03:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

I thought we ALL had that job already!

Good point! This is true.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  9:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I already impress myself (until I pick up my guitar).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  10:36:24 PM  Show Profile
On the other hand, thanks so much to sandy for pointing us in the direction of an interesting, knowledgeable author.
nancy
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  06:49:56 AM  Show Profile
I read the Eddie kamae biography a year ago and have been loaning it to several friends who have very nice comments as well -- it sheds a very interesting insight into Eddie kamae and the Sons of Hawai'i.

I just finished reading "Bird of Another Heaven". I liked the narrative style and the lessons from a diary/journal. The yarn he weaves about King Kalakaua is very plausible. If you know very little about "Kawika" and the relationships between Kaleponi and Hawai'i, and you like historical fiction, this is a very good read. It is about to go out on loan to a ukulele friend from Moloka'i.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  07:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Since I am an avid reader and I have spent most of my future retirement fund on books, I hereby move that we establish a category for the bibliophiles amongst us. I have quite the collection of books(especially Hawaiian- themed books) and would be most happy to mail them to those who would give them a good home. And, I would hope that whoever would get them, would lend them to other folks as well (expecially our Taro Patch friends who may be interested.) I would be willing to do the work to start out a "Taro Patch Lending Library" by maintaining address lists, lists of titles available, etc. for anyone who would be interested. I suggest that the fees for postage be borne by those sending the books...because when you get a book, someone has paid to send it to you, and you pay it forward by sending to someone else who would be interested. I would be most interested in reading book reviews of Hawaiian-themed books. I would also love to see discussions of books on here amongst those who have read a particular tome. I have a good collection of both fiction and non-fiction.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/05/2007 07:58:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000