Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 '52 Martin uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  4:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I've got this uke and I'm thinking that since I never play it and I want a new guitar, maybe it's time to sell it to help me pay for the guitar(wife won't give me any guitar money). Trouble is, I don't know what it's worth. Any ideas on how to make that determination? Any uke traders out there with some knowledge of vintage values?

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  12:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Oh yeah. I know. $52 is about right. Er.. thats the ticket. But, I tell you what I'm going to do. Throw in a set of strings and I'll buy it from you for a hundred dollars. Just email me where to send the check.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  06:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
It definitely depends on the size, model and condition. The most common are the standard (soprano) style 0. They go for $400-$600 on Ebay. If it is a style 1, 2 or 3, it will be higher.
Tenors are quite valuble. staring around $1000 on up to $2000.
If you search completed auctions on Ebay, you can get a sense of what they're going for, though Ebay varies wildly depending on several factors. A vintage instrument dealer like Elderly.com would sell an instrument for 25-50 percent more than the average Ebay price. If you put it on Ebay, buyers will want to know every detail, including the location of every scratch, crack and separation.
Feel free to share details about it and we can probably get a better value estimate. Or you could just sell it to Hikabe:)
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  07:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Hikabe, goin' once, goin' twice.....just kiddin'. Jesse, I'm not very e-bay savvy but I'll take a look there. Thanks for the tips.

I might have shared this story before here but here goes. I acquired this uke in a trade with one of my customers...some pinstriping on his '29 roadster pickup for the uke. He bought the uke while stationed - USMC - on Oahu in 1952. He and a buddy were at a Honolulu bar one night, sitting in the corner playing their ukes when a fight broke out. I guess it got pretty nasty and a knife was thrown. The knife was heading straight for Norm (my customer) so in a reflex action he raised the uke to deflect the knife. Instead of deflecting it, it stuck right in the side of the uke. Other than that little knife slit, this uke is in almost perfect condition, being stored in the original case all these years. I think the story alone is worth a hundred bucks.

Quite sure it's a soprano, that's the little one right? I have a nice 8 string uke I play quite regularly and I just don't give much attention to this one, although I would like to keep it just because. I want to give my oldest son my Martin Guitar, but if I do I will need another guitar. So, if I'm able to sell this uke I will be on my way to saving up for a new guitar.

Thanks all.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 06/17/2007 12:19:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  08:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Those tiny ukes, so prized now, sold for many years for around $10. And that is a great story..."The Uke That Saved My Life!"
Jesse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000