Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Na Hoku Awards show online tonight
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  10:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Just found out that tonight's Na Hoku Hanohano Awards show -- which is broadcast statewide on island TV -- will also be broadcast online: http://www.k5thehometeam.com

7:30pm (HST)

Here's a list of the nominees:
http://www.mele.com/hokunom_07.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  07:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Thanks Auntie, I tried to watch but it seems they were having some problems. It was there, then it wasn't, then it was, the sound kept coming and going. I finally gave up and went to bed. I did get to see Kaukahi perform though, and that was what I was most interested in. Walt Keale is coming to our Luau in Aug to play along with Mike and Bill Keale. It was nice to get a little preview of his talents.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  1:08:03 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that the online stream has problems -- the TV broadcast we taped has sound fading in and out, too.

The live event was boffo! Very different from past Hoku Awards nights, in that a dress was implemented (yay!) banning shorts, t-shirts, tanktops, and rubbah slippahs. The crowd was looking very, very nice. Performances were refreshingly not the same-old/same-old lineup of talent that has been prevalent in years past. We had hip-hop, reggae, traditional Hawaiian, contemporary, island contemporary, jazz and more.

The wahine group wowed the crowd -- Darlene Ahuna, Ku`uipo Kumukahi, Kealoha Kalama, Karen Keawehawai`i, and Leilani Rivera Bond on guitars and `ukulele, Mihana Souza on upright bass, and Owana Salazar on steel. They need to tour together.

Long night (bar opened at 5pm; dinner served at 6; broadcast started at 7:30 and ran until 11pm) -- but fun, fun, fun as always!

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  1:19:18 PM  Show Profile
Ooops, forgot to include this list of award recipients!
http://www.mele.com/na_hoku_hanohano/2007/

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  7:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Mahalo Auntie! I just finished watching the music on the link you provided and was especially lifted by Jerry Santos and the tribute to Don Ho. Thank you for the "chicken skin" experience!

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  06:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
This link will take you directly to the list of video clips. And yes Jerry's performance was indeed moving. Also enjoyed the Native Hawaiian Band.

http://www.k5thehometeam.com/Global/category.asp?C=103959

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  07:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Jerry Santos has such great mana, in my opinion. That song, plus "Come to me Gently", even though not written in `olelo Hawai`i are very powerful. Jerry is very deserving of the "Aloha Is" award. He is kind and considerate and giving. He did not hesitate to sit and talk with us after his show at Chai's when we were there. We talked story for quite some time and he shared some of his familty history with us and provided some very wise counsel and insights to Paul about a song that Paul was not certain about playing -- whether it was pono to do it or not (decision made: not pono). It was good to see Hoku and also Barry Kimokeo to get some exposure. Barry can really play that guitar, and his singing, oh wow!

What was that instrument which Nathan Aweau was playing? Was it a 6-string bass? The neck was so very wide!

The Native Hawaiian Band, with Mike Ka`awa singing lead, was most excellent. Mike sang with great power and feeling. I love the sound of a 12-string...so beautiful (partial to it, since that is what Paul plays mostly). Way swell to see Paul Kim and especially Pekelo. By watching this video, you can see how swell the shows at Honey's on Sundays are. Ledward, of course, was excellent, as per usual.

They were all great in their own individual ways. It is so nice that those of us on the other side of the country can access, see and listen to the clips. I am most appreciative to the station for makinig that available.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  09:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I didn't know there was an online archive. Thanks for posting Auntie! I watched this years and the clips from 2006.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  1:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
The bass you see Nathan playing in the video clip is a 7-string bass. He is under contract with Conklin to promote their bass guitars and they in turn provide him with whatever he wants or needs - to his specifications. The last time we spoke, he informed me that they are currently working on a 9-string version. Unbelieveable...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000