Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What were your last 5 CDs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  11:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just curious what people out there have been listening to. In no particular order, and not limited to 5, my recent CDs include:
  • Songs of the Hawaiian Cowboy
  • Best of Hui `Ohana
  • Art of the Solo `Ukulele
  • Cord International Volume 7 History of Slack Key Guitar
  • Na Palapalai
  • Patrick Landeza
  • Waialea Jammin'
  • Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
I'd like to add these to the review section but can never seem to find the time. Maybe over Christmas.

Andy

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  12:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi andy,

well, i've been listening closely to ho'onanea by john keawe lately. he's doing some interesting things on the bass strings that i'd like to try to do.

aloha, keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  1:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
John's on a roll here...last 5 I bought:

1. Ho`onanea
2. Auhele
3. Manaolana
4. Facing Future (IZ)
5. Nanakuli's Raymond Kane (LP)

Five most listened to lately (because I'm still waiting for most of the above to arrive):

1. Facing Future (IZ)
2. In a Land Called Hanalei (McMasters)
3. Punahele (Uncle Ray)
4. Hawaiian Slack Key Christmas (Various)
5. Slack Key Praise (Siu & Kahiapo)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  1:47:38 PM  Show Profile
- Keb Mo slide out

- Norah Jones come away with me

-RadioHead The Bends (2nd copy)

-Warren Zevon Bad luck streak in dancing school

-John Keawe Ho onanea

-Tampa Red Shes tight like that/best of 27-34

Warm Holidays to all of you,

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  3:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi john,

quote:
Drop him a line or give him a call. John and Hope are the nicest people you'd ever like to meet. He's in the Kohala area on the Big Island, so if you're ever in the area, consider settin' somethin' up with him. Tell him I sent ya... well, er... he might not remember my name, so tell him "da beeg guy who give you one half gallon jug of dat rum at da music camp of Meester Beama... you know... dat good stuff rum lil'dat... Cap'n Ahab or something da kine".

john, you sound unforgettable! we're thinking of taking a day trip to the big island, so if we do then i'll check with john first. thanks for the tip!

mike, keb' mo is one of my favorites. i didn't think of mentioning non-hawaiian music; otherwise, i would've listed the stratas/domingo version of La Traviata. talk about chicken-skin music!

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  3:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Looks like I'm out of style without Ho`onanea. I'll have to pick it up to join the cool kids.

I was surprised to see cpatch's Slack Key Praise (Siu & Kahiapo). I'm a big fan of Kawika Kahiapo. I'm listening to Slack Key Praise and One Heart, One Voice right now.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  8:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
That's easy, I'll just paste in my last order from mele.com:

Hui Ohana & Jerry Byrd, Hawaiian Style Guitars
Hui Ohana, Young Hawai`i Plays Old Hawai`i
Ned Kaapana, Pana
Maile Serenaders, Evening in the Islands
Maile Serenaders, Hawaii's Favorite Slack Key & Steel Guitar, Vol. I Sunday Manoa, Cracked Seed

Just before that, Makana's Koi Au, and on the way Kapono Beamer's Pana Aloha. We won't get into my serious gypsy jazz addiction. . . .
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  8:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Last 5 Hawaiian in order:
Pulama 'Ia Na Mele O Kaua'i by Leilani Rivera Bond
Hawaiian Suite by Herb Ohta
Koi Au by Makana
Soft Green Seas by R Alex Anderson (Used LP)
Forgot the name -- Na Leo's latest all Hawaiian CD.

Most listened to Hawaiian in past 2 weeks:
Ozzie and Steve's Ki Ho Alu Christmas
Dancing Cat Slack Key Christmas 1 & 2
Makaha Sons Christmas Day in Hawaii Nei
Casimero's Christmas CD #2

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  10:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Looks like I'm out of style without Ho`onanea. I'll have to pick it up to join the cool kids.
I was just pulling Xmas CD's for tonights dinner, and found Ho`onanea. Duh, that was the first Hawaiian CD I ever bought. I figured it was a newer one you guys were talking about... yep, great solo guitar, that one.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000