Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 L.A. area Hawai`i musicians needed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  12:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Got this email from silvers @ allbluegrass.com -- don't know him; just spreading the word:

My company is looking for Hawaiian bands to record special projects for us and would like to know if you can help spread the word. Our site is - www.cmhrecords.com

Thank You
Jim Silvers
CMH Records, Los Angeles
323-663-8073

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
These guys do some fun projects, like all those "bluegrass tributes" and "string quartet tributes" to all kinds of bands. They are expanding into "Hawaiian tributes" of different artists now. Back in the '80s, when I did folk music radio shows, they were a great source for really good bluegrass recordings - high in quality and some top names on the label.

Edited by - Retro on 06/29/2007 4:09:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  4:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Oh yeah, like this one...

Na Mele O Keaka: The Hawaiian Tribute to Jack Johnson

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1020 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  1:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Andy, can't tell if your being facicious.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  1:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
These aren't exactly brilliant works of musical genius - just "fun," like I said. I have a few of 'em, though I haven't heard any of the "Hawaiian tributes" yet - like this one: http://www.cmhrecords.com/web/page.asp?pgs=product&catid=7&id=1031

Edited by - Retro on 06/30/2007 1:22:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  4:13:06 PM  Show Profile
I would be failing to live up to my reputation as the persnickety language person if I didn't point out that the title of that "tribute" is incorrect. As it is music that was written by Jack it should be "Na Mele A..." not "Na Mele O...". Na Mele O would mean songs written for him, not by him, and the list does seem to be his compositions. Actually, "Na Mele No..." would be the best choice for compositions written for him anyway.

Probably TMI, but somebody had to do the dirty work ;-)

Edited by - keoladonaghy on 06/30/2007 4:18:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile
I think Jim "Kimo" West played slack key for the Hawaiian Tribute to "Sublime" and the Hawaiian Tribute to "The Eagles". Both are also CMH Records. You can find these CDs at most WalMart and BestBuy stores.

Jim is the road guitarist for "Wierd" Al Yankovic and has two Slack Key CDs. He is an excellent guitarist.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  07:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Andy, can't tell if your being facicious.
Oh sorry. No, I was not trying to be facicious facetious. I was just happy that my brain made the connection that the original post was connected to that CD. You see, CMH had sent me a copy a little while back.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  12:46:59 PM  Show Profile
facetious

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  06:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
When I studied 'Olelo Hawai'i i Honolulu, my kupuna mentioned the use of "o" and "i" were interchangeable and that both ways were correct. He also mentioned that there is a more formal "proper" language used exclussively by royals where proper structure is strictly enforced. I always think of him since he was a native speaker immersed in the language when arguments and comments over semantics come up.

quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

I would be failing to live up to my reputation as the persnickety language person if I didn't point out that the title of that "tribute" is incorrect. As it is music that was written by Jack it should be "Na Mele A..." not "Na Mele O...". Na Mele O would mean songs written for him, not by him, and the list does seem to be his compositions. Actually, "Na Mele No..." would be the best choice for compositions written for him anyway.

Probably TMI, but somebody had to do the dirty work ;-)

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.

Edited by - kaniala5 on 07/08/2007 06:39:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile
I believe that the piece Keola put in related to k-less possessives o and a and not i which is usually a locative. While it is true that we should always refer to manaleo and their opinions. I just want to know in which context when translated to 'olelo haole is i and o interchangeable. I'm no expert so I ask for the sake of my own knowledge.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000