Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Help with these mele ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  4:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message

Can anyone tell me what key or tuning these songs are in?

Uluwehi Gurerro
Radio Hula

Dennis Pavao
CD-Wale O
Ipu Lei Manu

Thanks.

My power and phone are still out, five days now. The phone guy actually said about our downed power/phone lines, "maybe we should just wait until the next storm comes through!". and the next, and the next...auwe! Now at the library to get on here!

See ya, Ross

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  6:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Can't speak to those particular versions, but Led plays Radio Hula in Taro Patch. Keola plays Ipu Lei Manu in F Wahine, Dennis Kamakahi plays it in C Mauna Loa, tuned down to the key of A, and Cyril Pahinui plays it in C Major!

Not sure if that helps or makes it worse.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/19/2002 6:26:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  11:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Uluwehi Gurerro ~ Radio Hula

Sounds like it's in the key of C. Not sure what tuning was used to record it. Try Leonard's C or Keola's C. Or if your in taro patch, try putting a capo on the 5th fret. See what you can do.

Not sure about Ipu Lei Manu. I couldn't get the link at mele.com to work on that one.

Hope your power and phone are back up soon.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  11:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Don't know if you want this kind of info, but I'll share what I know.
Radio Hula is not very easy, especially at Led's pace. There is a pretty good Taro Patch version in Mark Hanson's book - start slowly and work up to speed and it is pretty playable.

Ka Ipu Lei Manu's melody is very easy to figure out in Taro Patch -- the melody is on the 4, 5, 7 and 9 frets, mostly G and D chords. The problem with that song is that all the variety is in the (most beautiful) words -- and in the implied pathos between the early romantic verses and the last verse written upon Kalakaua's death -- unless you sing, the trick is getting enough variation in the repetitions of the melody.

Both are great songs. Ka Ipu is one of my favorites and is extrememly powerful emotionally. If you want to hear an incredible version, check out Kekuhi Kanahele's latest CD Honey Boy. She combines Ka Ipu with the chant used at Kalakau's funeral procression. You got to be dead not to get chicken skin over that track.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Craig and Andy.
That all gives me some stuff to chew on.

Raymond,

That's one thing I like about Uluwehi's version of Radio Hula, it seems like a speed I can maybe handle. I like his Spanish-style(to me) turnarounds in Radio hula alot. In fact, I couldn't remember where i had heard them, but they were in my head for months, trying to figure them out. Got them in Taropatch now, and they've crept into my Salomila somehow too!

I was really drawn to Ka Ipu Lei Manu, without knowing the story; then when I learned the story behind it, it had a deeper draw for me, as I lost my mother last year after she went on a cruise to ChilŽ and passed away on her cruise, never for us to see her again.

Anyways, I love it too, and no, it's not morbid for me at all. A very sweet song with lots of personal resonance. I do try to sing it, and enjoy that aspect too.
Yeah, I have Kanahele's Honey Boy CD. I didn't know that the Oli was from the funeral procession.

thanks guys and cheers,
Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000