Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Drums in Hawaiian Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  1:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
The thumb rythyms of kiho'alu replace the metered beat of percussive instrument in many "traditional" kiho'alu songs. Originally, pre-contact music only had percusive instruments. Hawaiians did have one stringed instrument but I have never physically seen one or heard it played.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  3:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha folks,

May I jump in here? E Wanda, zis mean you no like Hawaiian jazz? Lots of traditional Hawaiian songs have been done like jazz songs, such as "Maile Swing" and others. Same with hapa haole stuff. In my opinion, the drums make those songs all the more enjoyable to the ears. Check out Aaron Sala's version of "'A'oia" from his debut CD. Just great! I wish I could play piano like him.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  3:12:17 PM  Show Profile
I just do not like "synthesized drums". Real drums are OK by me.

I do like traditional Hawaiian rythm implements better, though. Ipu, ipu`heke; pu`ili, `ulili, pahu, etc.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  3:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I just do not like "synthesized drums". Real drums are OK by me.

I do like traditional Hawaiian rythm implements better, though. Ipu, ipu`heke; pu`ili, `ulili, pahu, etc.

Hiki no.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  6:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
JUst my 2 cents. Take a listen to the Hui Ohana version of Lei Nani...I believe that's Dennis Pavao on drums. Saw him on a set many years ago, about the time that recording came out.

Also, a lot of the stuff that Olomana did had Willy Paikuli on not only ipu heke but tradtional drum set too. Also, check out Lei Ohu by Na Palapalai. It can be done and it does fit...sometimes!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Hula...polka....salsa....clogging...

Have you been looking at my set list?

(insert rim shot here)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  3:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by 808robertr

JUst my 2 cents. Take a listen to the Hui Ohana version of Lei Nani...I believe that's Dennis Pavao on drums. Saw him on a set many years ago, about the time that recording came out.

Also, a lot of the stuff that Olomana did had Willy Paikuli on not only ipu heke but tradtional drum set too. Also, check out Lei Ohu by Na Palapalai. It can be done and it does fit...sometimes!

I love that version of "Lei 'Ohu!" ISn't that entire album so good? I think it's the best one they've put out thus far. I'm shocked that it wasn't even nominated for a single Hoku Award!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  9:35:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I think one of the reasons I really love Hwaiian music is the lack of drums.

Just yesterday I was cruizing around running errands and Leinaala Haili's version of Kaneohe came on the radio (if you like sample: http://tinyurl.com/6ca4o6 from the AM940 site) and besides the nice jazz arrangement, the use of drums is what stood out for me. So I suppose it depends on the context.

I know that percussion always gave the Ka`au Crater Boys a fuller sound.
Go to Top of Page

kamalani764
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  03:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit kamalani764's Homepage  Send kamalani764 an AOL message  Click to see kamalani764's MSN Messenger address
I agree, I think it really depends on the song itself. I love percussion in all types of music, but some songs are really done best without in my opinion. Sometimes it adds to it and makes the song more meaningful, but I've noticed, especially in hawaiian music, the oher instruments tend to create a better meaning and depth of the song then it would if there were drums put in.

Kamalani
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000