Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Dennis & David Kamkahi - You Tube - Wahine Ilikea
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  09:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Here is a wonderful video of Dennis & David playing at a school on Kaua1i, sharing Wahine Ilikea. I especially like this because I have never seen hula for it before, but always felt it would be a most beautiful hula. It is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOhZdZlVoQY

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Wanda,

You have been scouring youtube for our benefit. Thanks for sharing that. I love that song.

That Uncle Dennis, he occasionally writes a good song. 1

1 ...and by occasionally, I mean everyday. And by good, I mean great!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile
To me, Wahine Ilikea is one of the most POETIC songs I have ever heard. The imagery is so amazing. I still shake my head in wonder that he wrote that song at such a tender age with such emotional maturity. Oh yeah, and the tune ain't bad, either. Why didn't we have assemblies like that in school? Lucky they live Hawai`i those school chirren!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  11:36:00 AM  Show Profile
That's a performance as part of our island's annual "E Kanikapila Kakou" -- held at Island School in Puhi (next door to Kaua`i Community College. Workshops and performances are FREE-FREE-FREE, held every Monday night from late February through April.

And did I mention that it's free?

http://www.gardenislandarts.org/ekk.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  12:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
When he performed that song at the Kalama Days event two years ago, we had a couple from our halau dance it. Uncle Dennis said it was the first time he had seen it danced as a couple's hula - he wanted to stop playing and just watch the dancers! This is one of my favorites to sing, too.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile
If you subscribe to the newsletters from Garden Island Arts Council, they are really a treat. Carol Yotsuda writes a review of each weeks concert, and it really makes me want to be there. She has a flair for letter writing, turning into a lost art form.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000