Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Bill Campbell
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  05:41:09 AM  Show Profile
I stumbled across the following today:

http://www.billcampbell.us/

Anyone hear of him? I listened to the samples and they are plain and simple. Very mellow. I do not, however, hear much bass line to his playing, so I really don't know if this is true kiho`alu or just "finger picking"... or is there a differnce?

Is it slack key if you play an alternate tuning, or is it slack key only if you play within the traditional conventions?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  06:28:53 AM  Show Profile
I see why you asked.
Slack Key is more than just altered tunings for sure. Is it a style? I think so but then there are so many styles that I consider Slack Key. So what defines it? Maybe it's the players background and emotional makeup.
Note:
Ok, I had a lapse of judgement in this response and have removed some of it when it occured to me that I was being foolish.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 07/11/2007 07:02:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  06:46:04 AM  Show Profile
Bill is a long time taropatch member and is an excellent slack key player. His Kauai On My Mind CD is wonderful.

I'm not sure what Wanda was listening to, but I hear a strong alternating bass line in all of the clips except in Holly, which is an original by Bill. It has a different type of bass line.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 07/11/2007 08:07:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  11:43:39 AM  Show Profile
Given that nearly any tuning can be used for slack key, it's possible that some tunings don't lend themselves to alternating bass. Gabby doesn't seem to alternate on Hi'ilawe. I'm listening to the samples of Bill Campbell's CD now. I adjusted the bass on the Real Player, and it's more prominent now. ( Don't know what player Wanda used; she listens at lunch time at work. I'm at home.) So far the bass doesn't seem to be very high in the mix, but it is alternating. Could be differences in speakers, also. Employers may not have audio quality formost in mind when buying computers.
Last year when I spent a week in workshops with Patrick Landeza, he found it necessary to keep telling me to emphasize the bass. I would concentrate on the melody, and let my thumb get too quiet. Still have to remind myself sometimes.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 07/11/2007 11:45:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000