Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The "S" sound in mele/Panini Pua Kea
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile
I have been wondering about mele that have the "S" sound in them...those that quickly come to mind are: Sanoe; Noho Paipai and Panini Pua Kea. Now, Sanoe, I believe is someone's name, which then means it is probably not someone who is Hawaiian, right? I think if I remember correctly, that song is about someone fiddling around with someone else and the gossips talking about it. In Noho Paipai..."hone ana o uese i ku`u poli", the word means "sweetie"?

Now, in Panini Pua Kea, the line goes..."eia mai au `o suipa lilo" and that translated supposedly means "Here am I, "Sweep-all-to-myself". I am at a loss to understand that. Is it supposed to be someone's name? What is that supposed to mean "Sweep-all-to-myself"?

Are any words in Hawaiian that use an "S" sound taken from another language or are there true Hawaiian language uses for the "S?

And if you are wondering why I am writing stuff during the day, I am off work today to get some laser tack welding done on my eye for diabetic retinopathy. I am not wasting your tax dollars!

Mahalo for help in understnding these mele.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  11:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
You find the "s" in the Hawaiian Language in many places. The use of the "k" exclusively occurred as the written language began to be stressed instead of the spoken over the years. Modern Hawaiian uses the "k" sound in the written form because the missionaries that developed this form were unable to pronounce certain sounds and replaced them with the "k" instead. Hawaiians used the "s" sound in many places including one pronunciation of the word Christmas (Kalisimasa). Hawaiian Language is fun to learn about......keep asking those questions.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  1:17:04 PM  Show Profile
You'll hear some loan words keep their "s", like paisi for paiki or "purse", saleta for salad (I've never heard the "s" replaced with "k" there).

"Suipa" is a transliteration (pronounced "soo-wee-pa") for "sweep". I sweep it all up for myself, or I take everything for myself.

In Noho Paipai, I don't believe the phrase as you typed it (and assumably got from Huapala) is correct. The "s" is inserted in 'oe. Spoken the line would be "hone ana 'oe i ku'u poli". In some songs you'll hear an inserted "h", as I noted in my research of Almeida's performances. Ke-he-ia (keia), ka-ha-ua (kaua, heard in "Holoholo Ka'a"), 'i-ke-he ('ike), a-la-ha (ala), and most importantly for this discussion 'o-e-he. If you pronounce an "s" where "h" is you get the pronunciation you hear in Noho Paipai - 'o-e-se. This is probably done to fill out the melody, as it was in the other examples I noted in Almeida's performances. Why he chose "s" instead "h" for Noho Paipai I don't know - perhaps it was to disguise the meaning or perhaps because it made it sound like the intended individual's name.

I don't know if there are any older recordings of Noho Paipai than Almeida's, it is possible that his was the first and that his recording of it in this way is what has been imitated over the years by other performers. This is just conjecture on my part, if anyone knows of an older recording in which 'o-e-se is heard please let me know, I'd like to hear it.

Edited by - keoladonaghy on 07/13/2007 1:38:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  1:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
"Ho'ese pu'e ana 'oe"
I've heard this phrase before and have heard that it has an idiomatic meaning. Kapena sings a song called "Hoese pu'e ana 'oe." Although I haven't found the lyrics for this song (which contains some nonsense lyrics, too) I think it borrows from the mele ma'i "Ko Ma'i Ho'eu'eu".

"Malama pono a
riggity diggity domo,
Ka poli 'olu o nanea
Ko ma'i ho'eu'eu,
Hoese pu'e ana 'oe."

The last two lines are the first two lines of the famous mele ma'i for Kalakaua.
I've heard the phrase can mean "Don't you think?" or "Isn't that right?"
Has anyone else heard of this?

Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 07/13/2007 1:39:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  1:48:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

"Ho'ese pu'e ana 'oe"
I've heard this phrase before and have heard that it has an idiomatic meaning. Kapena sings a song called "Hoese pu'e ana 'oe." Although I haven't found the lyrics for this song (which contains some nonsense lyrics, too) I think it borrows from the mele ma'i "Ko Ma'i Ho'eu'eu".

I don't have my copy of "Na Mele O Hawai'i Nei" handy but I believe this mele in there. The word is ho'ekepue, to hide or be secretive, so again this is a case of "s" replacing "k". I recall hearing Kapena's singing that line, but it's been a while, so I won't comment on possible mispronunciation other than to say it is possible ;-)
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  1:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Eyeball all fixed. No more bleeding. Ain't modern technology grand! Took longer to dilate the eye than to zap it with the laser. Didn't even hurt or anything. No happy medicine, though.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000