Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 High G-Low G tuning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  10:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Noeau, I experiment in a local, ukulele vacuum without your know-how. I don't mind experimenting to answer questions when there's no one with a ready response, or I'm moving into an area others avoid because its unfamiliar. (Retuning a ukulele is fairly easy if you don't interchange strings.) I don't disagree with your point. Using a C string tuned to low G and a G string tuned to middle C can be challenging both due to the slack in the string and the problem figuring out how to finger the chords. I only considered it because I was trying to write music, so I was coming up with fingering for each note or group of notes in a melody as a proceeded. Tabs then provided the method for remembering the fingering sequence. Writing the music naturally caused me to avoid problem chords. Chord based playing wasn't the focus of what I was writing. My solution to the too slack problem was to learn to pluck that low tuned string gently for the song or two I wrote using that tuning, knowing that if I ever got really serious about it, I could always buy a new set of strings to play that tune, and tune one of my then two ukuleles low. I wouldn't want to have to live with the limitations of that odd tuning I used with a high G string set (tuning the C string down to low G) or the chord shape problems that come with it for every song I tried to play, but for one or two songs it might be worth a try even if only to learn, first hand, if it will work with a particular set up. (Slack key guitarists retuned for various songs, and that was my inspiration at the time.) You can always retune if you don't like the result. Substituting chords might even be possible to eliminate fingering problems. Lots of possibilities, but you raise a very interesting point with regard to whether any standard, "high" G string gauge and manufacturer produces a G string that will handle both "high" G and low G tuning. (I'll take your advice on those Martin and LaBella strings. When you're playing plywood boxes, you need good strings.)

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 08/11/2007 10:59:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000