Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Ono Grindz
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

benjo
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  04:00:47 AM  Show Profile
da joka: This thread makes me hungry. Luckily I can get okay manapuas around here. And some really good pork hash. With the large Asian population around here I can get a lot of the things I grew up with. Or make my own (like with poke, lomi lomi, plate lunches, and kalua pig). Some things though I've been so desperate for that I've actually ordered from Zippys. Very pricey, but I really wanted lau laus and needed poi.

I once tried to make poi here. We used to make it in lower school social studies classes and the recipe is so basic that I figured I'd try to make it with the taro available in our supermarkets. Dunno why, but it turned out all hamajang. It sure looked and felt like poi, but tasted like dirt.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  04:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Aloha benjo - how come that moniker, by the way, considering what it means in Japanese and is used in Hawaii....
But my guess is that the poi was bad because most root crops here are not fresh because they don't have to be. They can ship slower etc. Do you try to grow your own? I'm guessing that might make it much better. I thought you could find it at least frozen pretty much all over the country. Maybe find a source that supplies it then ask them who carries it.
Good luck!!
n
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  06:48:18 AM  Show Profile
I have made poi once and Paul made it once. The time I made it, our daughter brought us some taro root from a store in Cincinnati, Jungle Jim's, which sells every type of ethnic food you could imagine and some things you wouldn't imagine. It is a huge store with golf carts/train kind of thing to take you through the parking lot to the store. I scrubbed the root, boiled it with skin on and then peeled afterward, them mashed him up. I actually got tired of all the mashing and left some lumps. I did put a wee bit of salt. It was really very good and actually had flavor, not like the stuff we ever had a tourist luau. The one Paul made, he bought from our regular grocery store here in Cleveland. His had no taste to it whatsover. The only thing that we could figure is that it had to be the freshness or age of the taro root.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/24/2007 1:00:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  09:02:25 AM  Show Profile
I remembah making poi in elementary school and da ting tasting sooooo ono. Da fresh stuff no can compare wit anyting you can get in da stores. But anyways, we like fo leave da poi out fo couple of days until da ting get small kine sour ... "day old poi" ... and den grind um, soooo ono liddat too.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  09:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
I miss the teryaki spam musubi from the little mom and pop store on Liliha Boulevard by the park.

I also miss diving for tako and fish out at China Man's Hat in Punaluu.

L & L is here in Oxnard..........they make a spam or chicken musubi using a whole sheet of seaweed.

Shaka for the topic.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  04:24:48 AM  Show Profile
T'anks, eh, Momi, fo' reminding me of all da places we get hea. So much food, so little time!
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  01:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ArtSap

On Oahu, it used to be Masu's on Liliha but still go to Ono's on Kapahulu, Rainbow Drive-Inn on Kapahulu, Young's Fish Market on Kalani, Side Street Inn in Honolulu, En Fuego in Kapolei, Loco Moco Drive-Inn in Mililani, Mililani Restaurant in Mililani, Palisades Drive-Inn in Kailua - to name a few.

It is 7:30am EDT but this post made me SO hungry. I agree on most counts ("most" because I've never tried any of the places in Kapolei or Mililani). I was happy as a clam when somebody turned me on to Young's! Now add Karen's Kitchen in Kaka`ako, Likelike Drive-Inn on Ke`eaumoku, and Gulick's Delicatessen in Kalihi. As for the latter, it's like no deli in Philly or NYC. No deli here ever served chicken katsu, beef curry, or kalua pork. And they have the BEST mac salad I have ever had.

Since this is a Hawaiian music forum, it's worth mentioning that the motif at Ono Hawaiian Foods is like a local Hard Rock Cafe - walls covered with pictures and autographs of Hawaiian music legends. But bonus, you can't go there without running into some kind of celebrity. Last time I went, there was a line of tutus sitting on the bench out front waiting for a table, and one of them was Karen Keawehawai`i. I sat with her for a while when her daughter, noted dancer Tracy Farias, and her daughter's husband, singer/composer Keawe Lopes, joined her.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  12:05:18 PM  Show Profile
From Today's Honolulu Star Bulletin, in Erika Engle's "The Buzz" column:

"Former local boy and girl snag national TV time

A MOLOKAI-BORN Hawaiian who used to be one MTL bus drivah and his Kaneohe-born wife could soon be hearing, "Eh, you somebody, yeah?"
Bobby and Diane Nakihei will appear on national television with Guy Fieri, the tattooed, spiky-bleached-blonde-haired, new Food Network star in about 30 to 45 days.

The crew of Fieri's "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" will be shooting at Bobby's Hawaiian Style Restaurant in Everett, Wash., tomorrow and Friday for a yet-to-be-determined air date.

Bobby's opened in 2000, because of Bible studies he hosted.

Along with studying there was also Bobby's cooking. "You know Hawaiians," he laughed. "There was one guy who loved my food. He wanted to start his own business," but a restaurant space he'd seen was too big for him, so he referred the Nakiheis to a real estate agent. They met with the Realtor "and it was pretty much a turnkey operation."

Bobby's menu is right and proper for a plate lunch place, including all-kine Hawaiian food, local-style barbecue chicken, loco moco and saimin wit' Spam.

"The teriyaki chicken, that's my big seller, plus the kal-bi -- and the haoles up here tell me my mochiko chicken is better than KFC," he chuckled.

He has no trouble sourcing Hawaiian ingredients. "I have someone that ships up the poi every week," and the taro-raising Wong family of Kaneohe turned him on to a distributor for taro leaves, he said.

In the Seattle area, "there are seven different Hawaiian restaurants now," he said, including four L&L Hawaiian Barbecue locations.

The producer told him Bobby's was selected for the show by viewers who voted via the "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" page on the Food Network Web site.

If that's not a humaaangous hint for loyal fans of Hawaii's best eateries, we can't imagine what would be.

On the Net:
» www.bobbyshawaiianstylerestaurant.com"

Retro and I heard about this on the Hawaii Radio Connection last Saturday. Uncle Bobby said they're filming tomorrow but is not sure yet when it'll air. Production turn around time is supposed to be pretty short for this show, so the episode may air as soon as September. The show itself is pretty good - Guy won one of those "The Next Food Network Star" competitions.

BTW, Uncle Bobby leads a group called "Island Flavors," whom I think will also be performing during the show.

Edited by - Momi on 08/14/2007 12:56:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  12:58:36 PM  Show Profile
If the taste was like dirt then the kalo could have been kinda moldy. Mold has an earthy flavor. Kinda hard for find fresh kalo up here. But like wanda if you look hard enough you might find um.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  3:28:19 PM  Show Profile
Menpachi Man told me the kind kalo I got here is dry land kind, that's why it is white and purple. He also said it has a short shelf life, so to speak, and that is why the taste can vary considerably based on how fresh it is. I also asked him if he thought I could grow taro here in Ohio. Answer is no. He said it takes about 9 months to be able to harvest it. Our growing season here is only about3 1/2-4 months from last frost to first frost. I did dfind an interesting web site, though, that showed how to grow taro in 5 gal. paint buckets. Need good drainage but frequent watering if dry land kind. Lots of water if wet kind, to simulate a lo`i.

I have also discovered that what I made was really not poi, because I did not add any water as I mashed it. I can't remember what the name is for just smashed up taro. It was ono none the less.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000