Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mystery of a song
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  7:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Here's one that you folks could help me out with. I have in my hands words for a song written by Alvin Isaacs it is called Nalani. I also heard a sound bite so I was reminded that I heard this song before. So I decided to learn it for my own pleasure. I don't know how this song came to be in my possession. I do know that i asked a friend if he new some chords and he sent me some and I've been working on it. The song has a recorded version by Alfred Apaka when i played the sample there were a few more chords than what my friend sent me. Now if any one may have a few chords to this song would you be so kind as let me know what they might be.
Any way the mystery for me is I cannot find the original sound bite that I heard nor do I know how I got the words. Its like this song just came up and bit me on the you know where and said "play me!"
Kinda spooky Yah?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  11:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Is this the Alfred Apaka verion you need the extended chords of ?
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Nalani.mp3

Posted for "Educational Purposes Only"
Under NO circumstances "Right click" and 'Save As'

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  8:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Sure. I think that is the first recording of the song. But once again I think the sample I first heard was of Alvin et.al. Again that is why I am mystified. If you have chords I welcome them with open mind.

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  02:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Sure. I think that is the first recording of the song. But once again I think the sample I first heard was of Alvin et.al. Again that is why I am mystified. If you have chords I welcome them with open mind.

Al - I give you the easy answer (the chords) and the complicated answer (the chord structure). My hope is that the complicated answer will ultimately clarify the easy answer. Follow me...

"Nalani" follows a chord pattern that is very basic to Hawaiian music in that they are the same chords that are used in the hula vamp (the 4-8 beats of music between verses of the song where there is no lyrical content). In any key, chords are defined in relationship to each other - terms such as tonic, dominant, subdominant, etc. - and these terms are further notated with roman numerals. Most Hawaiian songs are very simple in their chord structure in that they use little more than the tonic, dominant, and subdominant. In the key of C, for example, this would be the tonic (C), the dominant (G), and the subdominant (F). A simple Hawaiian song might be notated thusly:

I IV I IV I V I

C F C F C G C

(Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what song this is!)

The hula vamp, however, adds one more chord type - the secondary dominant (notated V/V in roman numerals). That is also the mystery chord in "Nalani" as "Nalani" is just the chords in the hula vamp repeated over and over.

I V/V V I V/V V I

In the key of C, then it would be...

C D G C D G C

Of course the song would sound pretty boring if played this way with all major chords. So the chords used for passing from secondary dominant to dominant to tonic are often seventh chords.

I V7/V V7 I V7/V V7 I

C D7 G7 C D7 G7 C

The recorded version Basil provided is in Bb and modulates to Eb. If you're trying to play along then, the chords in these keys would be:

I V7/V V7 I V7/V V7 I

Bb C7 F7 Bb C7 F7 Bb
Eb F7 Bb7 Eb F7 Bb7 Eb

Finally, Alvin Isaacs' compositions were deeply steeped in the jazz idiom. So often his passing chord sequences were ninths instead of sevenths, such as:

I V9/V V9 I V9/V V9 I

C D9 G9 C D9 G9 C

If you know the ninth chords, substitute them anytime a seventh pops up and see how it changes the feeling.

I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  02:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Sure. I think that is the first recording of the song.

And I am pretty sure this is the first recording of this song. But Alfred Apaka was still unknown at the time, so you would not have found this in the record bins under "A." He was merely a boy singer with the group known as Randy Oness' Select Hawaiian Serenaders.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  11:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Thank you very much. I am enamored with the jazzy stylings of the era and have always been since I heard George Helms many years ago. I thought if a young man can play these songs then I might too. However my ear is good my hands not so .I never have an easy time playing with multiple chords and passing chords so the guitar ends up with its own melody that seems to harmonize with the vocal melody. Your chords send me on a journey where I am going to be able to enhance my three chord slack key into jazzy standard tunings of a time nearly forgotten. I only do this because I wish to enhance my repertoire and I can hopefully produce interesting sets where the songs don't all sound the same. Now if I can play this and sing at the same time I'll be doing good.
Oh yeah, I found a reproduction on CD of Alfred Apaka recordings on Territorial Airwaves.
Nalani is on it I think when Alfred was older and even better.

Edited by - noeau on 07/28/2007 11:12:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:44:20 PM  Show Profile
The mystery song looks like Hi'ilawe to me.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  6:43:15 PM  Show Profile
Al, I can help you with the 9th chords in taropatch for "G" and "C". Only easy.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  8:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Shoot.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly