Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 `Ukulele Lesson - You Tube by Jody Kamisato
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  10:11:29 AM  Show Profile
How to play "White Sandy Beach" by Jody Kamisato of `Ukulele Hale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78nr8QMaUbI

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  3:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
He does a nice job, but note that this tutorial is in two parts. You'll see the second link to the right of the first one if you follow the original link on this thread. Wonder where he got that shirt...

(Quite a poignant song though, given the visual metaphor of the "white, sandy beach" for an after-life, and Mr. Kamakawiwo'ole's death at such a young age.)

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 08/07/2007 05:09:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  06:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Absolute

He does a nice job, but note that this tutorial is in two parts. You'll see the second link to the right of the first one if you follow the original link on this thread. Wonder where he got that shirt...

(Quite a poignant song though, given the visual metaphor of the "white, sandy beach" for an after-life, and Mr. Kamakawiwo'ole's death at such a young age.)

Now, I find this interesting - the idea of "white, sandy beach" as metaphor for the after-life. Is that what the song is about? Because the Makaha Sons used to perform this is in a medley with "Mehameha" - a song which I have always contended is about death (or the contemplation of suicide), and everyone I have ever proposed that theory to has said, "Uh, no way, dude. You have rocks in your head."

What am I missing? Are these songs about death/after-life?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
"I saw you in a dream." (A dream of an afterlife?)

"We were having so much fun...." (The standard perception of life in "paradise".)

"On a white, sandy beach, in Hawaii." (Sound like heaven to me.)

These do sound like methaphorical references, particularly given Hawaiian religious beliefs in "seers" and Mr. Kamakawiwo'ole's strong, personal association with Hawaiian culture. Of course, one has to consider this in the context of the fact that the Makaha Sons will always be associated with Mr. Kamakawiwo'ole, who in turn will be associated with death at an early age and this song. This historical fact compels a certain direction in one's reflection on the lyrics. I find that I can not sing this song with anything other than a moving recollection of the famous performer's sad death and the none too happy circumstances of his early life, including loss of his family. The longing for something happy in his life seems apparent in every word.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  10:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Here is You Tube of Iz singing it...chicken skin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefwct4nwUk

I like on the CD..."This song is by Willie Dan...don' know who da heck but very one nice song, Brah."

I don't know who da heck Willie Dan either...cannot find anything about him, but very one nice song!

And here is Makaha Sons doing it at the Kapi`olani Park Bandstand on Lei Day 2007...with hula http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VKTJipnAtA

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 08/07/2007 10:35:53 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000