Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 A Master At Work
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  3:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
Sometimes I forget how I got interested in Hawaiian music in the first place. It was a long time ago, after all. And then I remember.

Before Herb Jr., before Jake, before Troy, there was Peter Moon.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rWWAdo9JZMY

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Bill - thanks for pointing us toward this. Wow! Top notch! I don't know why I am surprised to see that Peter looks about as young as I am...Cyril aged, Martin aged, Bla aged, Roland and Robert have aged.....

Why the band-aid looking things? Does he tape his finger picks onto his fingers?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sob
Akahai

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  8:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit sob's Homepage
Ahhh...Peter Moon...one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES! Sunday Manoa and The Peter Moon Band inspired me to be the 'ukulele player I am today! Hootah!
~Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  10:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Black Orchid, Pandanus and of course - Kawika...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  11:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by sob

Ahhh...Peter Moon...one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES! Sunday Manoa and The Peter Moon Band inspired me to be the 'ukulele player I am today! Hootah!
~Bryan

Bryan, you are one of the best 'ukulele player that I met! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be called your friend. Keep it up!

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  07:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
The clip is from the 1999 VHS instructional cassette "Peter Moon, Magic of the Ukulele." It is exceptional but, unfortunately, out of print (or so I understand). Besides Hula O' Makee, it includes Hi'ilawe, My Sweet Sweetie, Papalina Lahilahi, and Alekoki.

I use it not only for myself (whenever my ego gets too big and I need a dose of musical reality therapy but I also show it to some of my classes at an art school and a local private university to give them a glimpse of alternate teaching methods. The art students in particular respond very well to Peter Moon's approach, i.e., they think they could learn to play the uke (even though they may not be musicians to begin with) through this methodology; the private university students, being older and used to playing the academic game as it has been for generations are less comfortable pedagogically but more appreciate of Peter's nuances. They are also more intimidated by his expertise.

If you can get a copy, do it. It is well worth the effort.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  09:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria has it in stock for $19.95 plus (tax & shipping).
http://www.mele.com/

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000