Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Pilioha in OHA Newsletter
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  09:28:39 AM  Show Profile
From the OHA newsletter: http://www.oha.org/pdf/kwo07/kwo0705.pdf

By Manu Boyd
Public Information Director
Kalehua Krug’s käkau (traditional tattoo) from the top of his head down to his chin might be intimidating
first, but his demeanor, and the music he creates with Pilioha, is warm and inviting – the kind of nahenahe sound savored by Hawaiians for generations. Meaning “family relationships,” Pilioha is a fairly new trio that also includes Glenn Mayeda Jr. and Kamuela Kimokeo. They are young, insightful, talented and committed to the long haul.
Kalehua and Glenn are first cousins, and have played music together since childhood. “Our grandparents used to listen to Hui ‘Ohana all the time, and so we did too,” said Kalehua.
That’s how we first learned
by mimicking them.” The group is still influenced by Hui ‘Ohana (Led and Ned Ka‘äpana and Dennis Pavao), but their range of music and singing styles go beyond kï hö‘alu and leo ki‘eki‘e tradi-
tions. They have contemporary flair and communicate well to a wide audience.
“Glenn used to play music with Tihati Productions (Polynesian revue). I worked there too for a couple of years when I was pau playing foot-
ball at U.H.,” Kalehua said. “We played with others along the way, and have had much support and encouragement from friends in the industry.”
Beyond producing, perform-
ing and recording, education plays a major role in their lives. Kalehua is a doctoral candi-
date at U.H. Mänoa, where he teaches Hawaiian. Glenn teaches music in the D.O.E, and Kamuela is currently majoring in music and Hawaiian studies at BYU in Lä‘ie. “When Kamuela returned home from a two-year church mission in Arizona, we recon-
nected. That was two years ago,” said Kalehua. “We had already started a recording a year ear-
lier, but started over again with Kamuela.” Kamuela, years earli-
er, was Glenn’s student at Castle High School in Käne‘ohe.
“Pilioha” is also the CD title and serves as their record com-
pany name, underscoring the group’s priority of family rela-
tionships. ‘Ohana photos are featured in the CD jacket, along with liner notes describing the 13 cuts – mele both old and new. The project opens with Aloha e Nu‘umealani, a tribute to the ancients, chanted by Kaumakaiwa “Lopaka” Kanaka‘ole in hula pahu style. Kanaka‘ole has added his touch to various recent recordings in the form of mele hula and mele, shedding light on the growing trend to honor tradition.
Kahakuloa, an original by Kamuela, was written as a tribute to his first Hawaiian language kumu, Lehua Beltrame-Tevaga, memorializing a papa ‘ölelo Hawai‘i trip to Maui. “I encouraged him to include it on this project. Even though he was just a second-year student at that time, it reflects his movement in learning the language,” said Kalehua, who helped with editing. Keolaokalani honors the hänai child of Princess Pauahi, with a new interlude describ-
ing the bond between keiki and makua. The performance is beautifully done. Pauoa Liko Lehua is another older mele, recorded decades ago by Mama Tina Ka‘äpana. The melody is catchy and reminiscent of anoth-
er time. Pilioha performs regularly at Aku Bone Lounge (Wednesdays, 8-10 pm) and at the Chart House at the ‘Ilikai every other Friday. For the full scoop, visit www.pilioha.com.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
Wanda, this group is PHENOMENAL! They are just three of the most talented human beings that could be assembled in one group.

I first heard them when Kamuela's cousin, Barry, was still with the group. The resemblance in sound to Hui Ohana was mind-blowing. However, since I was recently critical of another artist in the same vein, I should point out that Pilioha did not perform Hui Ohana's repertoire but merely carried forward their sound. Barry's guitar work is... I am running out of superlatives. I had never seen anything like it! He was channeling Ledward but - in some respects - may have even been better!

I was saddened when Barry left the group but the current incarnation of Pilioha is outstanding and I am certain that Barry will turn out an amazing recording of his own very soon.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  10:05:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, - Barry is an amazing guitar player...and his singing...blows me away. And such a nice boy. Kamuela is a nice boy, too. They are all so nice. We saw Kamuela in May playing with Jerry Santos at Chai's Island Bistro. Was supposed to be Hoku Zuttermeister, but for one reason or another he couldn't make it and Kamuela filled in. I think Glenn posts on here periodically.

Barry said he was shortly to come out with a CD...one song of which is one of my favorites...Keiki Mahine.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  6:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Ah-h-h, yes . . . my recent trip to Hawai`i wouldn't have been complete without catching Pilioha at the Aku Bone. These are great guys that make incredible music. Their first CD ("Pilioha") is a real treat (cab't wait for the next one!). Kamuela is hot . . . they're all very talented musicians and entertainers.

Also spent another evening at the Aku Bone eating our way through a veritable table full of wonderful food (sauteed salmon, hibachi beef, Korean chicken, pork chops, onion rings, lau lau, rice & poi...you can't go wrong with anything on the menu...better yet, have it all!). We were also delighted to "discover" (they've only been playing together about 10 years) another delightful group that night ('Ike Pono).

Don/Doc/Cookie
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  01:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by dr. cookie

We were also delighted to "discover" (they've only been playing together about 10 years) another delightful group that night ('Ike Pono).

I didn't even know they were still together. Another really fine aggregation. My only disappointment in their first CD was that there wasn't more Hawaiian language material. But nobody can fault their musicianship and their haromonies.

Thanks for the tip! I will be in Honolulu next month. Looks like I will be spending a lot of time at Aku Bone!

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  05:55:56 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of Aku Bone -- another regular group there is the trio Holunape...2006 Na Hoku Hanohano Award winners for "Group of the Year" and "Hawaiian Language Performance of the Year". Call Aku Bone to verify their gig dates.

And speaking of `Ike Pono -- they'll be performing tonight with Melveen Leed at the weekly Ala Moana Hotel's Pakele Lounge concert. Be there, or watch online http://www.alohavideo.tv/ (5:30pm HST).

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  06:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Speaking of Aku Bone -- another regular group there is the trio Holunape...2006 Na Hoku Hanohano Award winners for "Group of the Year" and "Hawaiian Language Performance of the Year". Call Aku Bone to verify their gig dates.

Thanks for the heads-up, Auntie! Looks like I am spending much of the last two weeks of September at Aku Bone...and maybe Sundays at Honey's... and an occasional Thursday at Chiko's - late, after the Marriott (for obvious reasons)... and maybe some Fridays at Haiku Gardens (which for some reason doesn't publish the legends that perform there in any of the local papers)... and a Saturday at the Hilton.

Yep. That's a pretty full calendar. I hope that some of the taropatch crew will be there!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  07:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Bill...don't forget Sunday evenings at Waikiki Marriott (George Kuo, Martin & Bobby - except I THINK they may be traveling west coast somewhere) and Monday evenings at Chai's Island Bistro (Jerry Santos) (get the giant tiger prawns). Have fun!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000