Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 CD - Hula Big Island Style
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  12:55:16 PM  Show Profile

Hula Big Island Style

Various Artists
Copyright Year(s): 2004
Genre: HAWAIIAN
Format: CD
Price: $15.98
In Stock? Yes
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/keoki+kahumoku/hula+big+island+style/
Auntie Maria has this wonderful collection of mele hula. There are two volumes, both of which are beautifully done. There are a variety of artists that I cannot find much information on, nor any solo efforts in case I wanted to delve into their music further. Can anyone help me with information about these very talented folks?

Loeka
Rupert Tripp, Jr.
Rodgers Lena Naipo
Nephi Pomaika`i Brown - is he part of Kevin's talented `ohana?
Kevin Teves

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Loeka (Longakit) -- with his sister, was 1/2 of the duo "Pomai & Loeka" in the late 90s (primarily island contemporary tunes)

Rupert Tripp, Jr. -- now member of the group Kohala; read more about him at http://cdbaby.com/cd/ruperttrippjr

Rodgers Lena Naipo -- of the musically-talented Naipo `ohana; I'm pretty sure this is the Naipo who can be found performing in Kona area hotels.

Nephi Pomaika`i Brown -- Kevin? `Ohana to you???

Kevin Teves -- former member of the group Kohala; outstanding guitar stylist.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  4:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Auntie Maria.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  6:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria
Rodgers Lena Naipo -- of the musically-talented Naipo `ohana; I'm pretty sure this is the Naipo who can be found performing in Kona area hotels.

Yes, the very same! His father is the famous Rodgers Naipo, and Rodgers Jr. was a member of Hawaiians Unlimited in the early 1990s. He still gigs around the Big Island.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  7:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Wanda, for highlighting this collection. I continue to be surprised at the gems I sometimes find on compilation albums like this. Keoki Kahumoku’s unadorned version of “I Kona” especially makes me want to strum along.

About Rupert Tripp, Jr., Auntie Maria has provided you with the best reference resource, but I’ll add this reminiscence:

When my guitar teacher told me it was finally time to quit just picking and learn to sing a song, the first one I tried was “Hi`ilawe.” I figured I couldn’t go wrong with a classic, even one with a dozen verses. I burned a CD (for myself only, Auntie M.) so I could listen to all the versions of this song in my music library – turns out there were twelve altogether. And although Gabby’s and Iz’s were surely more famous, and though I even included Sudden Rush’s rap, the version that stuck in my mind and helped me learn to sing the song was Rupert’s. It’s on his CD “Live at Volcano’s Lava Rock Cafe” from 2005. A little hard to find, but you can sample it on itunes.

Funny how, at least for me, one version of a classic song is the one that seems to “stick” in my mind, even though there are many lovely variations from so many accomplished artists.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  8:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Aunty Maria and Wanda, I know Nephi Brown Great musician! wish we were ohana, same name but family's came from different part's of the world.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  03:54:16 AM  Show Profile
This belongs in the recording announcements and reviews.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000