Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Am I the exception?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  06:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Some of you may have seen this posted on at least one other board, but I just thought I'd post it here too so that I could hear what other people have to say.

Here's how I wrote it on the other board, and please note that this was written a while ago, so the part about the "'Alika" song doesn't really apply to me now:

Aloha!

I was wanting to know if you think I am the exception to the "kama'aina not liking haole" theory. When I went to Maui this past February, a lot of the locals seemed to be very impressed that I could speak some Hawaiian and sing Hawaiian songs. Everybody wants me to come back. And, they all call me 'Alika... yay! Love that! I tell everybody from Hawai'i to call me 'Alika, even though my real name is Alex, because 'Alika is my Hawaiian name. I also love the fact that my Hawaiian name is also a song.
(sings) Aia i 'Alika...
Haha!
BTW, I'm trying to get better at singing it when time allows. There's no way I am able to hold the long high note like Auntie Genoa or Raiatea do right now, but I'm continuing to work at it. Maybe it'll come with more practice though. What do you guys think?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  08:21:21 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Alika,

Being from Hilo, I can undastand why all da Kama`aina like you fo come back. It's not jus about da kama`aina not liking da haole. Fo me and my family, it's da attitude dat dey tend to bring wit dem dat we really no like. Haole like you, who fell in love wit Hawai`i nei - and proved it - by learning da language and culture, are da kine we like, and no mind showing around an giving up all da local "secrets" to, and welcoming you into our homes :-)

Da odda kine haole, are da kine dat tink Hawai`i is jalike all da odda 49 states. Dat we no mo one separate culture and history, and dat, we should cater to dem. I really no like dis be about jus da haole, cuz odda kine people have dat same attitude too, and if dey are pake, buk buk, japanese, o wateva, it's da attitudes we no like, not dea blood. Historically, most of da dislike was towards da haole because dey was da "luna" in da plantation bossing everybody around. Dey was da big rich businessmen, while everybody else stuggled to get by. Dey was da politicians and stuff in kahuts wit da royalty (running da government too).

Once dea was a popolo family dat wen move to N Oahu and started one BIG stink about someting in da school's yeabook. I no remembah wat it was, but it was mainly cultural. Fo us, it was no big deal, but since dey was da newbies, dey wanted da locals fo change everyting to suit dem. It made my family real upset. Dass how da culture erodes.

Well, Alika, tanks fo yo love fo Hawai`i and da culture and da people dea. It shows. As far as I'm concerned, you're always welcome back.

To all da odda TP-ers (haole or not) ... same goes fo you too. I love to see all da aloha you get fo da ukulele and slack key, da language, and culture of Hawai`i. Dis is da true meaning of ohana. Dis is how da aloha spirit goin spread all around da world eh!

shootz, dajoka

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha,

Mahalo no kou hua'olelo 'olu'olu. (Mahalo for your kind words.)

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  12:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
Haoles/hapas/etc..... locals wherever you go respond with kindness and respect when they are shown the same kindness and respect in return. It is always refreshing to have a stranger to your land come carrying knowledge of the culture/language/music. This is also an oppurtunity for you to share your mother tongue and culture with others.

Keep on doing what your doing.:-K

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kaniala5

Haoles/hapas/etc..... locals wherever you go respond with kindness and respect when they are shown the same kindness and respect in return. It is always refreshing to have a stranger to your land come carrying knowledge of the culture/language/music. This is also an oppurtunity for you to share your mother tongue and culture with others.

Keep on doing what your doing.:-K

Aloha mai e Kaniala! It's about time you posted here. Miss ya! I never see you online much... lol. Let's talk story again soon.

A hui hou,
'Alika

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  03:22:10 AM  Show Profile
I found it the same way. Da Joka got'em right! Any time I wen' jam wit' folks from da islands, I always had a great time. Same goes for any other culture. Show that you respect and value what others hold dear. Great way to meet nice folks and get ono grinds, besides learning new tunes!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000