Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Anyone have the lyrics to "Wahine U'i?"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  03:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha kakou,

I was wondering if anyone has the lyrics to the song "Wahine U'i." I can't find them online anywhere.

Mahalo,
'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  07:42:11 AM  Show Profile
This song is in the "blue" King Book [King's Book of Hawaiian Melodies] on page 110 in the Key of G Major in 2/4 time. Written by Jame Kahale.

Chord Progression:
G/G/G7/C/C/C/A7/A7
A7/A7/D7/D7/D7/D7/G/G
D7/D7/G/G (turnaround)
Old Notation for Chord Progression:
1G/1G/2C/1C/1C/1C/2D/2D
2D/2D/2G/2G/2G/2G/1G/1G
2G/2G/1G/1G (turnaround)

Au/hea/ wale/ oe/ ka wa/hine/ u'/i/ (Oh come to me my own beloved)
Ka/ mea i/ like/ aku/ me ka/ ma/hi/na. (Thy beauty is ever like the lovely moonlight.)
(4 bar turnaround)

He u'i no op i ka'u ike (Your love is wafted by the gentle zephyrs)
He u'i mae wale nae i ka la. (To your lover who is waiting and longing for thee.)

Aia ko puni e kuu aloha
Ka poke oio lomilomi i'a.

Ahea la oe hoihoi mai
E ka mea i like aku me ka mahina.

Haina ia mai ana kapuana
He u'i no oe la i ka'u ike.

My favorite instrumental version is by Gabby Pahinui and Atta Isaacs on the 1996 re-release of the "Two Slack Key Guitars" CD, track 2. My favorite vocal is Bruddah Smitty in his "Only You" CD, track 2.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  07:52:25 AM  Show Profile
I thought it starts out: Au hea, au hea wale oe; i ka pua, i ka pua lokelani; etc. The one I am familiar with speaks about the flowers(watch out for kaona here) of the different islands, o ka pua ka `ilima; o ka pua mokihana and so on.

Must be different mele, same title?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  07:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I thought it starts out: Au hea, au hea wale oe; i ka pua, i ka pua lokelani; etc. The one I am familiar with speaks about the flowers(watch out for kaona here) of the different islands, o ka pua ka `ilima; o ka pua mokihana and so on.

Must be different mele, same title?

'Ae. Haha, I thought there was going to be some confusion from some members! Yes, I was referring to the slow one, the one that was just posted here. Mahalo.

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000