Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Discovering the Ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  6:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Howzit? I was wondering if anyone read (and practiced) da book "Discovering the Ukulele" by Herb Ohta Jr. and Daniel Ho. Wat you tink of it?

If can, can. If no can, no can.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  7:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I cannot remember if I have a copy. I better go look because I think I do.

I definitely looked at it while visiting Koaloha `Ukuleles last year. The book is very well done.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  11:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
One of the best books on the market for all uke players is "Discovering the Ukulele" by Herb Ohta Jr. and Daniel Ho. There are only a handful of truly good uke books, and this is one. Two excellent musicians corroborate in an effort to educate and celebrate the art of uke. Get it, you won't regret it...

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  02:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I requested it from the library a month ago, and it's still out, even with my hold on it, even in a small town in Indiana.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  06:51:18 AM  Show Profile
Lotsa information is a compact book. It is best when they explain it in a workshop but stands alone well. The arranged tunes sound good and are not terribly hard to play. the explanation of scales and chords is excellent if you pay attention and really delve into it.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  07:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
It does go well with their workshops. I understand they are collaborating on a second book at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  1:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Tanks eh, fo all da feedback on dis book. Minez jus wen come in today. Not much reading, choke pichas, so good eh. I can see how dis ting good fo da workshops. Get choke info inside dis one. Right away, I started fo try fix my bad hand posture. I like da scales. It took me only about 2 minutes fo figgah out dat get one easy pattern fo all da majah scales. I like da way dey no tell you dat. Dey jus give you da scales. If dey stay working on one odda book, I no can wait fo da ting fo come out. Good asswhy. I recommend dis book fo anyone trying fo play da ukulele. I noticed hard fo break my bad habits in my left hand posture. I get soooo much mo fo learn an work on. I wish I could go to one of dea workshops. shootz den.

Edited by - da_joka on 08/20/2007 1:39:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  10:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
Thanks for the kind comments about our book!

Daniel and I worked very hard writing "Discovering the 'Ukulele". Daniel and I have different styles, but have similar taste in how to present our music. We worked very hard making sure that both our styles were reflected in the book.

Just to let you all in on a little secret.....

We just finished writing our 2nd book. It's geared to the intermediate level of players.
I don't know when it will be released, but very soon! It is called "Exploring the 'Ukulele".

Aloha,
Herb, Jr.

Herb Ohta, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.hojfc.com
www.herbohtajr.net
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  12:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Awesome Herb ...

Looking forward to da new book! Wen you up hea on da mainland, you goin be giving any workshops o wat?

shootz!

Go to Top of Page

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  03:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
da_joka,

Sorry. I won't be giving lessons this time.
I might start giving lessons over the internet soon! (Live)
Trying to look into the technology. Been getting advice on how to do this.

See you soon!

Herb, Jr.

Herb Ohta, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.hojfc.com
www.herbohtajr.net
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  03:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
That sounds wonderful but please do not forget us beginners. I love the lessons I have been finding on YouTube. No instructors here in Delaware so I learn when I am in Hawaii and then practice for a year here at home. Gotta love the internet. I am not even ready for THE BOOK.I bought it and have been trying but... I need time and understanding to figure it out. My son (yea I know Younger gets it faster) LOVES IT.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  2:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow, internet lessons? dat would be awesome! Anwyays, I stay excited about you coming up to da mainland ... see you nex month!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000