Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:17:47 PM  Show Profile
I no mo too much experience using different kine strings and I was wondering what kine strings you guys like to use? Pros - Cons for each kine would be great!

Ko`olau Gold nylon high G tenor strings (wound 3rd):

Pros: Good projection, tone great, intonation good (while settling in still yet), real nice feel on da fingahs, real smooth (nylon). I like da thinkness of da strings too.

Cons: still trying fo figgah out if get any :-)

- I'm real happy wit my strings. I really wanna try Aquilla Nylgut sometime, and try compare da Hilo brand and Kamaka, and da Ko`olau's wit da Aquilla. I getting real tired. Betta hit da sack. nuff work tonight ;-)

If can, can. If no can, no can.

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  10:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Wanda got me a set of Aquilla Nylguts for my banjo last Christmas. I had never had non- metalic strings before, so she thought research was in order. Real easy to play, and that plunky old time sound was great. I went back to steel when they started to fray, 'cause I had a few sets of steel on hand. Wanda-Clause usually sets me up at Christmas to last a while. Family tradition. I may go back to the Aquilla's when I buy more. Depends if I get involved with any bluegrass. They don't have the biteing sound for that. But they're great for the Old Time stuff I play.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  11:53:07 AM  Show Profile
e joka,
I have used Worth strings on both my G string concert ukuleles. First I tried the clear medium tension. And for appearances I now have one of my concerts strung with the Brown Medium tension. Worth strings are a bit smaller in diameter. And after lots of playing like almost everyday, you feel the wear when you place your finger under the string you feel the fret wear. I like the Worth strings. Couldn't tell the difference soundwise between the clear medium tension or brown medium tension.
But when I got my Kanile'a ukuleles - concert and soprano - they were strung with Aquilla Nylguts. Really notice the larger diameter feel. Overall feel doesn't bother me.
Just restrung my other G String concert with the Aquilla. Both G Strings are concert size. To my ear between Worth Brown String is a bit brighter than Aquilla. The Aquilla has a bit more sustain. Again the differences to me are not significant. Don't know if the finish of the ukuleles might be contributing as well flat finish vs a high gloss.
On a final note Worth strings are available with different tensions. If you haven't already check out ukulelworld.com
as the site has more to say about both Worth and Aquilla strings.
Price wise per set Aquilla cost more, but if you buy Worth strings you are spending more because the strings are long enough for two ukuleles i.e. Worths are really double sets. I haven't decided which for me is best yet.
Hope you can make it for the Vacaville kanikapila. Otherwise if you're at the Aloha Festival in the Presidio this weekend
you'll catch a few Taropatchers on stage or at he workshops. "Tril" and I are backing a Berkeley halaou Sunday morning.
And if you do come this weekend forecast is for cloudy and windy so bring a jacket.
Guke

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  3:20:33 PM  Show Profile
Guke, wish I could see you guys play sunday! We're going only saturday. Have fun eh!

Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Tanks to Hippie guy and Slack key kid fo da awesome website! Hea's dea opinion on some strings ...

quote:
There are a few different kinds of strings:

* Nylon strings are the most common kind of string. They are generally warm sounding and easy to play.
* Fluoro-carbon is the kind of string that Worth produces. They sound much brighter than most strings and are difficult to bend.
* Wound stings are mostly used for C and low-G strings. They have a nice full sound. Wound strings squeak and sometimes catch your hand when doing slides.

Below is a list of all the strings that we have experience with. The rating system: 1 to 5 depending on appearance of characteristic (B = brightness, W = warmth, and H hardness).

* Aquila B = 4, W = 2, H = 3
* D’Addario Pro Arte B = 4, W = 1, H = 4
* Hilo B = 2, W = 3, H = 3
* Ko’olau B = 2, W = 3, H = 2
* Worth B = 5, W = 0, H = 5

http://liveukulele.com/ukulele/strings/

Anybody know how much effect da ukulele (wood, size, etc) has vs. da type of strings in da overall sound?

Edited by - da_joka on 08/25/2007 1:20:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  1:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yo Ho -

I've chimed in on this before, but I'm guessing your guys missed it. So, here goes:

Check out Bruddah Blue wound `ukulele strings from Guadalupe custom strings in East LA.

www.guadalupecustomstrings.com

They come in a standard white colored set, and in an awesome rainbow colored set (if ya got it, flaunt it!).

I've tried every string on the market, and these are my 1st choice for my Po Mahaina Island Jazz tenor. Put 'em on Annie's little pineapple concert and my Rock Uke Tele, too. Every string rings pure and true, they last and last, and they are louder, and more in tune, then any other string I have tried. They will make a funky uke sound good, and a good uke sound great.

Plus where else can you get hand wound custom strings for $12 a set???

Pros: Sound great. Feel great (higher tension). Clear even tone. Great folks to work with-- they are very interested in creating exactly the strings you need. Reasonable price for sonic perfection.

Cons: Wound strings point out your funky technique, so they could squeak on ya.

Bonus: Rainbow colors are sooooo cool.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000