Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Changing strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  1:10:30 PM  Show Profile
How soon after you change strings do you bring them up to full tension? I'm afraid I'm going to break a string, so I don't do it right away. I hate changing strings and usually wait until the strings have sounded dead for a couple of months before I change them.

Right now, I don't bring strings to full tension until Day 3. By tightening, retuning, and playing a little each day, by Day 7 the strings hold their tuning relatively well.

I do use good strings - Aquila on this last change because of the good reviews on TP. I've used Worth too.

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  1:27:47 PM  Show Profile
I bring um up right away. I even stretch the strings manually till they stop going flat. Nylons especially take a while to settle in and I like to play right away. I don't think it hurts to go to pitch as soon as the whole set is installed.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  1:35:47 PM  Show Profile
As soon as I put strings in, I tune em up. Then, I manually stretch um each out. They usually go at least 1/2 step flat after each stretch. I repeat the stretching/tuning at least 3 times. Then, every day after, I retune em in da morning. It still takes about a week before they stabilize. No worry about bussing da strings. Da nylon is real flexible.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  1:48:23 PM  Show Profile
Momi,
There is a really nice video on the taylor Guitars web site that discusses cleaning and polishing your guitar -- best done when you change strings.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/default.aspx?id=1004

Essentially, if your guitar/ukulele has an under saddle pickup you should bring the strings back to tension slowly so that the pickup maintains its balance. Otherwise most instruments nowadays can handle all the strings off at once and all back on at once. You should see the (speed winder they use with a portable drill).

In part two of the video, he puts the strings back on. If you seat the bridge pins and the tuners with little slip the strings can come up to tension. Then you do a careful pre-stretch before tuning to concert pitch.

My Worth strings stretch for a week or so, then settle in. I tune right up to concert after I change the strings -- no harm.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  07:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I can change strings and perform a couple of hours later. When I change them, I grab the string near the sound hole and tug gently up and down, paralel to the face of the instrument. This helps to temper the strings. Tune your string to the pitch it should be and then stretch it. It will go flat. It usually takes about 2 turns of the tuning key the first time you try to get it back up to the target pitch. Tug again and it will now take about 1 turn. Stretch again and it will take half a turn. Keep going until the strings are set. This eliminates the break-in period.
Worth strings and other nylagut strings take forever to set and blow out quicker. It has a shorter lifespan but the sound is excellent, for about a week. Good when recording but not Worth the trouble of constantly changing. I play a lot. In August, I am already on my 8th set for this year. I like Kamaka low G strings but have trouble getting them. The black strings look good. Bryan Tolentino uses a mix of different guitar strings to make a set for tenor ukes. It is better then the Kamaka strings in sound and lifespan. But I don't know the formula yet. I think Savarez is part of the set. Someone let me know, please...
Aloha Capt. Mike... I think I met you once in Hawaii at the Hilton uke workshop by Keoki. My father retired from the HPD after 25 years. The cops called his beat, SGT. Bells Little Acre and it encompassed all of Kaimuki and Palolo Valley. Many famous people in the uke world knew him. He helped keep some of them out of jail. See you next year at the Waikiki Uke Festival 2008.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Pmahany
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  1:37:04 PM  Show Profile
Hiram: For the strings, you can check with Joe. I believe the strings are the Savarez Alliance HT Classic. I just use the three highest strings in the set. For the low G, I use a Worth Heavy Duty Low G. A bit expensive to buy the whole Savarez set. Gee, whatdaya do with all those wound strings? I like the Worth heavy duty low G because it is a smooth string, and 'cause I can slack it to low F. The Savarezes last longer than the Medium Worths. The Worth Heavy Duty Low G lasts evan longer!

Honokowai's Pete

Honokowai Pete
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  10:19:42 PM  Show Profile
One time in one workshop SOB said he tried harp strings but I might of heard wrong. I mix Aquila and Hilo. that seems to work fo rme. My eight string is all Aquila and they have lasted pretty long. Maybe I don't play enough cause i have a guitar.. I also trying to learn tuba and exylophone anybody know about pickups and tuners for those instruments?

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  06:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

I also trying to learn ... xylophone anybody know about pickups and tuners for those instruments?
Yeah. Do NOT buy Sabine stick-on tuners for each individual bar (see other thread for details.) No, wait --- that would be a problem with marimba, not xylophone. Never mind.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  06:25:10 AM  Show Profile
Awesome No`eau, you stay learning tuba eh. Wat key yo instrument in? I played Euphonium fo long time and now still play trombone ... let me know if you get any questions! I tink any kine chromatic tuner would work, jus as long as da range goes down to da tuba's Bb. Have fun eh!

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Ye4ah I couldn't find the wash tub bass I asked about so slakck kee tuba is the road I'm on.

Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  09:29:50 AM  Show Profile
Al: All I know about tubas & pickups is that when I started playing sousaphone in the 5th grade, it was always difficult to pick up (it was also taller than I was). Tuba and piano/organ were my main instruments though high school and into college. I think this personal history with oversize instruments is part of why I'm enamored with `ukulele . . . I just love this whole new concept of "instrument portability!"

Never used a tuner for the tuba . . . fortunately a tuda usually comes with a band director! Actually we'd just tune to concert C (adjusting the main slide if necessary) and the tuba should hold decent relative pitch throughout it's range. Never used a pick up either . . . just more air!

Bottom line: it'll always be easier to pick up a `ukulele than the tuba.

Don

Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  09:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Doc ...

i tink I like da ukulele fo da same reasons. My trombone (large bore w/ F attachment) is heavy, so if I no play long time, my left arm stay get real sore, and I get all out of breath ... not so on da ukulele ... dat little buggah is amazing no? Probably goin take me da rest of my life and I still not goin mastah dat ting!

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  3:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Da Ukulele, a friend told me: "It's all there!" Buttonbox moa easy foa carry aroun' dan piano. Plus mine get Helikon or "tuba" bass.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  10:33:22 PM  Show Profile
laki I no like be one one man symphony.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly