Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Lyrics to I Kona
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  06:11:24 AM  Show Profile
This is from www.huapala.org and is the way I have heard this song performed by the likes of Led Kaapana and Dennis Pavao.

Aia i Kona kai `ôpua i ka la`i
`A`ohe lua e like ai me `oe

Malihini mâkou ia `oe i Kona
I ke kono a ke aloha no mâkou

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
`A`ohe lua e like ai me `oe

However, I have just heard a small sample on Mele.com done by Uncle George Naope and he uses different lyrics.

Uncle George sings the beginning as: Aia i Kona ka `aina Aloha, `Aina Poina`ole no makou

Is anyone aware of the differences in lyrics -- which is the "real" one?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  07:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Uncle George sings the beginning as: Aia i Kona ka `aina Aloha, `Aina Poina`ole no makou

Is anyone aware of the differences in lyrics -- which is the "real" one?

The one you hear Uncle George sing is the original. The original has been recorded in its entirety very few times. I will try to find another recording of it for you for reference.

Similarly, nobody sings the original melody to "Kaimana Hila." Nobody. Andy Cummings altered the melody when he recorded with his orchestra in the 1940s and his melody stuck. But the original is very different.

I can't believe you mentioned Uncle George today. A year ago today I was with Uncle George in the Great Hall of the Library of Congress where he received the National Endowment for the Arts' National Heritage Fellowship Award. That was a wild and crazy day. Suffice it to say that the day ended typically humorously when the modest Uncle George - overwhelmed with the whole thing - sneaked out of the reception without any of us knowing and radio personality Jacqueline 'Skylark' Rossetti had to accept the award on his behalf.

http://www.nea.gov/honors/heritage/fellows/fellow.php?id=2006_07

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000