Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Is this `ukulele any good? Is it a deal?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  2:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Its like taming lions just put your head in the mouth and play.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  3:02:35 PM  Show Profile
http://nfo.net/usa/uke2.html

You can find an ukulele chart here. Learn the F (major) and Bb (major chords). Now you can play in the key of F major. Start singing Wahine 'Ilikea and strum the F chord to your singing. Now adjust your singing so that you are in tune with the ukulele (much easier your voice change than your fingers) Switch to the Bb chord when it sounds like you should. Then switch back to F, then to Bb. Now you got it! You are a genius!

To add in complexity (uh oh -- bad word) try to throw in a C7th chord every once in awhile. Next week learn the Hawaiian turnaround fo F major.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  3:33:45 PM  Show Profile
OK. I did it. I made one F chord. Can't do the Bb. My fingers stay all hamajama on top of each other. So I made another chord -- I made a C chord! Hah. Watch out, Ohta-san.

Next stop, Da Shell.

(For put gas in the car, what did you think I meant?)

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  4:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Try playing with C F and G for a while these are easy chords and sound good to the ear I struggle to make Bb sound decent most of the time. I really struggle with anything barred.
Try Amazing Grace is a Pretty Easy song that almost everyone knows and the chords are easy. Just C G D7 and there is a simple version of D7 that is just fouth string 2nd fret and 3nd string 2nd fret

G C G D7
Ama zing grace how s weet the so und That saved a wretch like me
G C G D7 G
I on ce was lost but n ow am fo und Was blind but now I s ee
G C G D7
'Twas grace that taught my h eart to fe ar and grace my fears reli eved
G C G D7 G
How pre cious did that g race ap pear the hour I fi rst belie ved

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Edited by - NANI on 09/12/2007 4:51:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  4:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
sorry I tried to post thry song but the spacing did not come out right I will e-mailit to you.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  6:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Is the "Fleabag" back in circulation and downloadable? I've got a list of tablature site links on the "web links" of my ukulele web site. Just Google "ukulele tabs" or "free ukulele tabs". Lots from which to choose.

Hope you enjoy that banjo ukulele! (I bet some tin pan alley pieces would sound good on it. Why not try "Saint James Infirmary"? It's one of Mr. Bell's performance favorites!)

http://australele.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=28

You could also go for "Banjo" Patterson's "Waltzing Matilda"!

Another good banjo song is "When the Saints..."

You can find both by searching at "www.chordie.com". Look for chord chart changer list box on right hand side and select C tuned ukulele option. It will give you the proper chord finger positions for a G-C-E-A tuned ukulele. I'd provide direct links, but each time I do, they wind up mangled.

A nice directory of ukulele tab sites:

http://nwfolk.com/uketabs.html

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 09/13/2007 04:08:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  06:05:39 AM  Show Profile
The site that Absolute cites is run by a member of the Seattle `Ukulele Players Association and is one of a bunch of volunteer DJs (Richard's on Tuesday afternoons between noon and three, and almost always plays an `ukulele set) on KBCS, which also runs the Hawai`i Radio Connection on Saturdays. Richard's a great player too.
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  06:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
What a great List I will be busy for Hours I have seen some of them before but not all of them. WOW
I also really like the Moonlight strummer group on Yahoo they have a fantastic data base for music I have never seen better Not that I have seen many. I am so jelous of the people that live in the area and can get together to play.
AW poor me. ;-(

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Eh Wanda ... try check dis ukulele out ... Mike goin upgrade yo strings fo you too ... comes wit hard case :-) Concert size ... not too bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250164734238&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123#ebayphotohosting

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:31:36 PM  Show Profile
It looks nice but how I would know if it feels good to my hands and my ear?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:37:55 PM  Show Profile
NANI,
(I'm the CAPT Mike) for Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers (yahoo site). Let me know if you have questions/comments on those song files. We just played through about 30 of them last night with pizza and beer. We had a special guest VIBE player to add to our regular lead group of guitar, bass, three ukuleles, and plenty hula dancers. Let me know if you are in the San Diego Area and I'll make sure you have fun with our group.
We perform for the World's Largest Woodie Festival this weekend, WaveCrest in Encinitas, CA. For those of you that may need a little hint -- a Woodie (keep your mind out of the gutter) is a wooden paneled wagon (automobile). My favorites are the woodie mini-Coopers.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:41:46 PM  Show Profile
If you can return em if you no like em then get em right now em.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  5:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
OH I wish I could be in the area maybe someday. I am the virtual member that lives in Delaware.I LOVE and apreciate the Music though it has truly helped my playing. It has been great fun. Sure is tough though some times reading ALL the emails of ALL the great Ukulele fun you guys have. AND I know what a Woodie is I am over 50 and live at the beach just here in Delaware on the east coast. But we used to listened to the Beach Boys around here too.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  05:07:26 AM  Show Profile
Eh Wanda ... I tink Mike get one toll-free numbah you can call. Since you all da way ova on da East side, you can call him afta work an ask him about da return policy an stuffs. Since shipping is free, dass one good deal already! Mike is real good about answering emails too. Den you can ask him everyting you like know about da instrument. If dass not da one, I'm shua get one fo you in his stock :-) Dis uke has a solid spruce top, so dass nice. I bet it's a composite sides and back wit koa veneer (try ask mike fo double check). Still yet, fo da price, it's not too shabby!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  02:55:39 AM  Show Profile
OK, friends. I have decided. Our friend, Nani (Nancy Adkins) brought her toys to College Park, MD when we went hele for the Makaha Sons show. I tried a Flea, a Fluke, a KoAloha (oh, da nice) and a Kala. I have decided to get a Kala. It works with my hands without any trouble. I had no trouble making chords, the width of the neck was just right for me. And it sounded very good, although certainly not as good as the KoAloha.

Look at this one from MusicGuyMike and let me know what you think. Is the price reasonable? It sounds very reasonable to me, what with strings and a case, as well. And everybody says he is a good person to buy from.

Ebay link

This is the one like Nancy's son has. This is the one I played. It has all the electrizical stuff if I wanted to plug in and make loud.
Ebay link

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 10/01/2007 03:11:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page