Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Interest in Hula Workshop?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  06:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Would anyone here be interested in a hula workshop in Hilo to be held the last week of April?

Topics could include:

Basics
Protocols and conventions
Choreography
Working with musicians
How to handle the pa`ani
Lei
Hawaiian lei
Artificial lei
Working with what is available
Stage presence
Costume
Makeup

It would include opportunities to perform at the Palace Theater and at the Mo`oheau Bandstand.

I'm currently putting together the educational materials for this workshop, which will include a CD and workbook, as well as internet support.

If you are interested in participating, I'd love to learn what would make such a workshop the best possible experience.

Mahalo!
Leilehua

Sweet Pea
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile
OH! Would that I could. The workshop sounds fabulous. Sadly, it's a long way from AZ.... Should you decide to do a similar workshop on the mainland, I'd be very interested !! Please, my Hawaiian language skills are not a great as I wish them to be... define pa'ani. I looked in an on-line dictionary and only became slightly confused. LOL Could mean drama, could mean game..... help! Mahalo
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  11:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Pea

OH! Would that I could. The workshop sounds fabulous. Sadly, it's a long way from AZ.... Should you decide to do a similar workshop on the mainland, I'd be very interested !! Please, my Hawaiian language skills are not a great as I wish them to be... define pa'ani. I looked in an on-line dictionary and only became slightly confused. LOL Could mean drama, could mean game..... help! Mahalo

Oh! Kala mai (excuse me) "Pa`ani" = "break" in this context - when the musician takes a musical break, lick, solo, etc.

I'm always happy to teach on the Mainland, Japan, wherever, but it takes someone who is there to coordinate and put the program together. Usually that works out best if you have a halau, YWCA, cultural center, or other such group host the workshop.

Mahalo for responding!

Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  01:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I live too far away to attend unfortunately, but I wanted to know what the dancer(s) would do if there was a pa'ani.

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  3:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha mai e Leilehua! Did you know that your name is the name of a high school here on O'ahu? Anyways, I would be interested in a hula workshop. I always dream of learning the hula. Maybe this will help because I am learning 'olelo Hawai'i and the culture of it. Mahalo.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

I live too far away to attend unfortunately, but I wanted to know what the dancer(s) would do if there was a pa'ani.

'Alika

E aloha no, e `Alika,

I was taught that during the pa`ani the attention should be on the musician(s), so the dancer just sort of hangs back. If I hear the musicians kahea "Pa`ani!" I will usually extend a hand during the end of that wawaena (vamp) to indicate the musicians, and then stand in place. Depending on the song, I may sway slightly, snap my fingers, or clap along quietly.

The musicians usually will end the pa`ani by going back in to the wawaena so the dancer can get ready for the next verse.

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Edited by - Hula Rider on 09/14/2007 11:50:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  12:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusiclover06

Aloha mai e Leilehua! Did you know that your name is the name of a high school here on O'ahu? Anyways, I would be interested in a hula workshop. I always dream of learning the hula. Maybe this will help because I am learning 'olelo Hawai'i and the culture of it. Mahalo.

Alana :)

E aloha no e Alana,

Yes, I tell people that I am so famous that even before I was born they started naming schools and golf coursess after me!

You have lots of excellent kumu on O`ahu, and workshops are held there throughout the year. While I would not want to discourage you from attending any of my own events, it might be easier for you to go to something nearby.

I will be teaching hula again at Keoki's workshop in Pahala this December, so that is also an option.

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Pea
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  12:11:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I was taught that during the pa`ani the attention should be on the musician(s), so the dancer just sort of hangs back. If I hear the musicians kahea "Pa`ani!" I will usually extend a hand during the end of that wawaena (vamp) to indicate the musicians, and then stand in place. Depending on the song, I may sway slightly, snap my fingers, or clap along quietly.

The musicians usually will end the pa`ani by going back in to the wawaena so the dancer can get ready for the next verse.
I have not danced with very many live bands... hmmm... come to think of it only ONE! Said musician has not used those phrases ... these are all new to me. So.. it's good to know what to do ! Jumping back in for me (and my hula sistahs) would be by listening very closely and probably missing a couple of beats.

I am hoping it all works out for my kumu to make it to your workshop. So much to learn !

Moon Kahele (above referenced musician) is on tap to open for Keali'i Reichel here (AZ) in October. Our halau has been asked by Moon to dance during his opening act. 'AUWE !!!!
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  3:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Aloha Leilehua,
Nice to run into other Konaweb folks
Oh I would love to but I on the Island fron Feb to March so it will have to wait till we move over full time.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000