Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Where do you look when you play for an audience?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  04:04:43 AM  Show Profile
Do you watch your instrument? Do you watch your band members? Do you make eye contact with your audience? Do you lean back and close your eyes and just wail? How do you make yourself look comfortable when playing for an audience (as opposed to kanikapila).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  04:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I make sure that I'm facing my audience, and that's it. I never get nervous when I sing/play, no matter how many people I'm in front of and who those people are. I didn't even get nervous when I sang with Ace Young from "American Idol." You guys could put me on the same stage as Keali'i Reichel, and I'd just beam and sing my heart out!

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 09/18/2007 04:58:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  05:29:58 AM  Show Profile
This is how I feel when I watch others.
Whether looking at the instrument or out at the audience, as long as it looks pleasant or emtionally moving it looks good. Personally, I like it when they are focus on what they are doing a just a little more.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  06:10:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

This is how I feel when I watch others.
Whether looking at the instrument or out at the audience, as long as it looks pleasant or emtionally moving it looks good. Personally, I like it when they are focus on what they are doing a just a little more.

Since my major instruments are steel guitar and piano, I look at my hands until I'm done, to make sure of what and where I'm playing. When I'm done, I check out the audience for a response. In a band situation, I check out the band members to see what they're up to when I'm not playing fills. When I ttold a friend that I was backing up a Hulau, he said "Wow! You get to watch the girls wiggle!" I sighed and reminded him that a steel player has to keep his eyes on his instrument, or he'll play out of tune.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  06:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
I do all the above; watch my instrument, my bandmates, the audience, sing my heart out, and just have a good time on stage, no matter what kind of situation. I think our band has played in every condition to known to humankind...from 104 degree heat and bugs dropping from the trees on to your body to total darkness with only glow-in-the-dark necklaces bouncing about in the audience (no kidding!)...not to mention power outages in the middle of the song, bad sound, and torrential rainstorms. This is when staying in focus is pretty important, to say the least. I'm sure some other taropatchers who play professionally have some great stories to share. I'd love to hear them one of these days! - M
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  07:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Most of the time, I've been playing for hula dancers, so I alternate between watching them, watching kumu, watching a lyric sheet, and watching my misbehaving fingers (on the instrument at hand - get your minds out of the gutter - it's too crowded down here anyway.) Now that dancers are not in the equation as often, I can look to the audience (if there is one) more.

If I'm playing uke, I may also be singing, so the dependence on the lyric sheet varies from song to song. If I'm singing lead, I make an effort to just glance at lyrics to be certain, then looking most of the time at my adoring public. Since I've played bass for fewer years, when I'm on bass I need to watch my fingers a bit more (I rarely need to on uke.) I also watch other band members more often, to make sure we're getting our timing right, picking up on visual cues for changes, etc. The skilled musicians I get to play bass with are really good at training me how to listen, what to watch for, and giving me subtle cues if they hear me get lost. (I can't thank them enough for that - they are constantly making me a better player.)

Looking to the audience also serves as my regular reminder to SMILE!
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  09:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Wish I could sing and play at the same time like you folks, but whenever I try to sing, my instrument hand tends to stop playing. Guess I'm drain bamaged that way.

Don't get down on yourself. B.B. King claims to have the same problem.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  10:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Generally when I'm playing, I tend to focus on what I'm doing -- that means typically the music and he fretboard - but if I notice I'm getting too "intense" I try to remember to relax a bit. Immediately after a piece I'm trying to make eye contact with audience. Not the same people all the time.

I get monsterous stage fright to the point that I am limiting where I play - also because I would rather "play" with my kid than "play" on stage - at least now. My regular restaurant gig is different, unless one of my teachers is in the house.
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Do you watch your instrument? Do you watch your band members? Do you make eye contact with your audience? Do you lean back and close your eyes and just wail? How do you make yourself look comfortable when playing for an audience (as opposed to kanikapila).

Wow! A lot of great answers!

I personally look lots of different places, depending on the moment. If it is a sort of conversational song, I'll look atthe audience. If it is a pa`ani, I am usually looking at my hands. I'll look at the other musicians to try and figure out what the heck I am supposed to be doing next! I'll watch my hula dancers to try and keep us all on the same page. Sometimes I'll target a particular audience member and sing directly to that person. My final answer? "It all depends." :-)

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  2:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I have played with a band about 20 times, often informal luaus. I've also done a solo gig a few times. I think the answer, like Leilehua said, it depends. If you are telling a story with your song and the audience is looking at you and actively listening, then I like to make eye contact, as a storyteller would. If your song is an instrumental, then I think its less important. No matter what song you are singing, presenting yourself in the spirit of the song is important. Generally, Hawaiian music is happy and full of aloha, so making eye contact around the room and smiling works best. Sometimes solo guitar instrumentals don't always hold an audience's attention, for a number of reasons. But when Led plays, he stands, he smiles, he jokes and he moves around to emphasize the song, many of which are either uptempo or vocals. If you are sitting, playing a slow instrumental number and are serious, then it helps to use eye contact to hold the audience.
On the other hand, what do I know?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000