Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Do slack key players use capos?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  01:31:56 AM  Show Profile
I have been introduced to so many new things on this site since I signed on. These tuners are realy neat, but (as usual) also realy expensive. If I only had a generous rich uncle or something.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  06:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Ah, yes, *Keith* tuners. I should have recognized the back-of-the-brain tickle that signals some sort of error. (It's like the string you can't remember why you tied it to your finger.) The variable capo sounds like Harvey Reid's Third Hand, which looks like an old Bill Russell elastic capo cut into six slices. It preceded the various Shubb partial capo designs and makes for some interesting possibilities--though if you're used to actual alternate tunings, it can be confusing, since closed chord forms revert to the standard pitch relationships.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  06:16:21 AM  Show Profile
I first saw Adrian Legg over 20 years ago as a wide eyed 19 year old and got to talk to him afterwards and get him to sign my (vinyl) records of his! I'm amazed and delighted that people know who he is!

And by another amazing coincidence, I've also met Bill Keith - he was playing with Sharon Court and the New River Ranch (or similar name) a few years ago and I was in the support band. He struck me as a very unassuming and modest person, and it was great to meet him.

When I was learning guitar I was told that using a capo was 'cheating'. But then I was also told that using open tunings was also 'cheating'. I don't believe either these days.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  06:25:13 AM  Show Profile
I saw John Keawe and talked to him about the Keith tuners. I wondered why slack key artists hadn't tried them before. Led used to use a "Hipshot" on his old Martin on the low string to go from D down to C on the fly.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  08:43:14 AM  Show Profile
The one I saw in MF catalog was a Third Hand Capo interesting piece of equipment. Even more interesting try looking up abacus capo. It was a guitar sold by Sears long time ago and the neck had a mechanism to stop strings at various places. There was a web page just google abacus capo and look at it. Pretty interesting.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  3:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Hi Wanda, Yes we use capos. Sometimes for nifty effect. For example on a light, lullabye sounding song, I might capo it way up just to sound more delicate. Even though it (obvously) changes the key for singing, if can, can!
Aloha Wanda! Doug (proud to be a "slacker" albeit "Dr. Slacker" ;)

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  6:44:45 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if anyone has commented this already but Uncle Led uses one almost every gig.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  12:34:06 PM  Show Profile
I remember when I'd hang at the County Jail at Warden Nahiwa's house and we'd jam for Aunty Napua Stevens.....the slack key resident would use guava stick and rubba-band for capo on slack key and standard tunings...no madda which, coz work. Nawiha had the old kine budda knife dat no mo blade. The "resident" would use that for capo and for "steel" and for dobro twangin' effect. The coolest was when he played up the fingerboard then yank off the capo for the "normal" slack key tuning.

Just press!
Herb
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  12:51:17 PM  Show Profile
John Cruz came to our radio station ( www.kapu.org )a few months ago to play some music on the air. When he couldn't find his capo he made one using a magic marker and a heavy rubber band. Similar to Herb's post above.

It didn't faze John at all. He sounded great, no matter what. He had to stretch the rubber band pretty tight, though. I was just praying that the top stayed on the magic marker, or that it didn't break. I didn't want John's guitar to get black ink on it!!

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  4:55:22 PM  Show Profile
The possibilities are as numerous as the stars.
At the kanikapilas, I've seen each artist working through the nights' songs, all in their own favorite tunings and then adjusting as needed with their capos.

Barry Flannigan told me of dubbing two guitars on Iz's "Hi'ilawe" one tuned to something like Keola's C for his magical guitar work on Alone in Iz World version.
and capoed up 5 for the modulation, plus another guitar in taropatch capoed up 2....so not sure if both were tracking the whole song...
but with Barry, there's probably a Phil Spectre "wall of guitars", or at least 3 guitar tracks!

F taropatch is also common amongst "the stars", and then just add capo to adjust to singers and songs of the night.
Yes, I have, Capo-ed with the Stars.

Chet Atkins once said someone at a festival campfire called out a song in B-flat, and you could hear them capos sliding for a mile.
Tobacco patch or Taro patch...it's all good pickin' and grinnin'
And incidentally, back in Kentucky, Tobacco is a vegetable.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 10/16/2008 4:56:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000