Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 guitar rental Kailua-Kona?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  10:13:13 AM  Show Profile
I hope this is correct forum for this. It is a little off topic.
I will be visiting Kailua-Kona for a couple of weeks later this month and would like to continue playing but I do not want to hassle with bringing my guitar with me nor risking it to the airlines.
Does anyone know of a guitar shop near Kailua-Kona that rents guitars for a short term basis?

mahalo

nick_borho
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  9:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_borho's Homepage
Go to Music Exchange in the Kamehameha the III mall (says "Aloha" on the roof, by the corner of Palani and Kuakini) and BUY an acoustic guitar with electronics for $100 instead of renting one for $40 a week. When you go home, leave it with a friend, or donate it to a church or someone you meet who plays (or wants to learn). It's good karma.

Nick Borho
Kona
http://www.nickborho.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  01:31:21 AM  Show Profile
Nick - that is a brilliant idea! It not only keeps one from getting the guitar "joneses", but it spreads aloha.

Thank you for such a great idea!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  2:15:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nick_borho

Go to Music Exchange in the Kamehameha the III mall (says "Aloha" on the roof, by the corner of Palani and Kuakini) and BUY an acoustic guitar with electronics for $100 instead of renting one for $40 a week. When you go home, leave it with a friend, or donate it to a church or someone you meet who plays (or wants to learn). It's good karma.

Nick
Great idea. I am sorry I did not see your post until too late. I will remember it for the next time I go somewhere without my guitar, though.
Go to Top of Page

Roger
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  06:56:02 AM  Show Profile
Aloha folks,

There was a similar "rent/buy" thread posted a few years ago, and one taropatcher (sorry I don't recall who) suggested picking up a Costco guitar, and then leaving it with a Hawaiian family with a young one who might play. It was worded better than that, but that is what I ended up doing.

This was on Maui, guitar cost $100, and my last day at the beach, I asked the parents of a family that was sort of hanging nearby while I played, and gave it to them. They gave it to their kids right there. What a feeling. I think we are all in the same mode, and I wonder how many of us have now done this. Less than the cost of a luau. I will do it again.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  08:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a plan. Elsewhere there was a thread about travel guitars that had folding necks. But the cost was very high for most people (in the multiple of thousands) but maybe worth it if one really wants a good sounding guitar on hand.
Passing on a guitar to some unsuspecting soul however sounds like so much fun and the spending of a lot of money and suffering anxiety is pleasantly avoided.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  10:36:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Roger

Aloha folks,

There was a similar "rent/buy" thread posted a few years ago, and one taropatcher (sorry I don't recall who) suggested picking up a Costco guitar, and then leaving it with a Hawaiian family with a young one who might play. It was worded better than that, but that is what I ended up doing.

This was on Maui, guitar cost $100, and my last day at the beach, I asked the parents of a family that was sort of hanging nearby while I played, and gave it to them. They gave it to their kids right there. What a feeling. I think we are all in the same mode, and I wonder how many of us have now done this. Less than the cost of a luau. I will do it again.

Roger

Unfortunately, the costco (in Kona)did not have any guitars, and there were no used ones of a reasonable price in the stores I went into. Great idea for me for the future and others travelling there or other places where they do not want to take their "favorite" instruments and let the baggage handlers have at them.

One other thought that I have had recently is to buy a used guitar on ebay (not too good since I would not get to play it first) and have it shipped direct to some address at my destination where I could pick it up. Then just donate it as you suggested above. Ebay also lets you search for items within a short distance of a location so it might be possible to find one for sale near where you are headed. Seems like a long shot but might be worth checking on.

The really amazing thing to me is the cost of renting a guitar. $45 per week seems like a lot for a used Takamine Jasmine in good (not excellent) shape.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000