Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Guitar kit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I have come into the possession of two Stewart MacDonald guitar kits, Both are dreadnought style with rosewood sides and back.
Has anyone every assembled one of these before? I have plans, but no instructions. I will use my Guitarmaking text, but I'm curious if any one her has experience with these or similar kits.
Jesse

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  3:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Jesse, over the years I've been following Kathy Matsushita's site on building various guitars. I just pulled it up, or tried to, and was unsuccessful. Hopefully it is down temporarily because she has some excellent ideas for the amateur builder based on her own experiences. She's an English teacher in San Jose. Her (non-operative)address is http://pweb.jps.net/~kmatsu
Have a great experience,
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  4:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks, Sandy. I've looked at her website in the past and her work is meticulous and beautiful. I'm hoping I can build two decent dreadnought guitars from these kits. I spied them on Craigslist and called the guy. I tried to pay him but he insisted on giving them to me! I need to gather all my clamps, clear the bench and get to work!
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:51:59 AM  Show Profile
I had interest in this a while back too but gave up on the idea.
Not sure who suggested this book but it was probably someone here. I bought "guitar making" by Cumpiano & Natelson. It has step by step guitar making done from scratch. They make a steel string and a nylon sting guitar from start to finish.
Since you have kits, some of the steps will be done but all will be there for you to reference.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  06:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yep, I will be using Guitarmaking as a reference. The book is also a reference for those learning to build 'ukulele because it is analogous to the classical guitar. As soon as I build a go-bar deck and a form to hold the sides symmetrical during glueups, I will start bracing my top and back plates. The challenge will be the finish work, which for me will be all the herringbone and purfling. But the woods are beautiful and I can't wait to start sanding and gluing. The things that are already done include ready-to-mount purflings, channels for soundhole decoration, sides are pre-bent and the top and back plates are joined. The zigzag strip is also installed in the back.
I have long wanted to build a steel string but was afraid of the string tension and the structural integrity issues, which are not present with a uke. Hopefully I can assemble a dovetail joint and truss rod that will work.
I looked at Stewmac.com and these kits go for $425 each. Yikes.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 09/28/2007 06:50:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  06:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Jesse,

I am excited for you. How will you find the time?!?! Hopefully fellow taropatchers might be able to help you and offer some guidance. Karl Monetti, Akawa341, and others have built beautiful instruments from scratch. Don't listen to me unless you want a guitar whose neck is where the sound hole is supposed to be. Woodworking is not my thing.

Look forward to hearing about your progress and wishing you much success. Seems especially cool that you got two sets. Everything you learn in guitar #1 can be improved upon and applied to guitar #2. Good luck!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,
One last note:
I forgot that there is another very good book that was also recommended from someone here. I got that one too. The book is "the luthiers handbook" by Roger H. Siminoff. It gets into the tuning of components and tuning of the full assembly.
There is some easy to understand theory and testing of vibrating plates, tap tuning, stasis, effects of finish, etc.
I think it is good book to read first.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  01:55:23 AM  Show Profile
http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/default.asp

This is a great site for advice!! I am doing the same kind of stuff. Be sure to get a mold for your kit...it will make life MUCH simpler. None of these kits come with very good instruction and you will find yourself turning to the guys at OLF constantly!!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  08:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mike, are you building a kit? It looks fairly simple compared to building from scratch. The kit had virtually no instructions, but at least the plans had profiles of the braces you shouldn't have to guess what they should look like. I like the dovetail joint that came with the kits, but if I was buidling from scratch, I would probably use a mortised bolt-on neck because it's easier to build.
I am going to build a mold to hold the sides until the top and back are glued on. I have read a lot at the luthiers forum and other places. It all helps.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  11:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
The instructions for the Stew-Mac dreadnought kit can be found on the Stew-Mac website. Good luck with your project.
http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-5295.html
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  1:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks, Gary. I just looked it over and it will be a big help.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  09:02:06 AM  Show Profile
I knew a guy that got hooked on luthiery because of just such a kit. The guitar he built was a good one. Check with Rich Smith, he's done some ukuleles and might be able to give you some insights. He's part of a guitar building discussion group.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  08:46:49 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I am building a Martin OM. I am also building from scratch a Dyer Model 6 Harp Guitar. I have most of those materials in hand now.

BTW, for glueing the kerfing, I would definitely buy those kerfing clamps from stew-mac. Clothes pins are not very dependable.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  3:31:09 PM  Show Profile
http://www.buildyourguitar.com/index.html
Jesse, try this web site. I've toyed with the idea of building a guitar for several years, but haven't done it yet. I did make a hollow electric from an acoustic neck I had laying around, and a couple dulcimer kits. Maybe some day....
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000