Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Need translation help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mokupuni
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  02:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit mokupuni's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hula Rider

quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

I've been thinking about a name for the show.

I have a dear friend that suggested calling it "Ma'anei, ma'o" which he says is a common Hawaiian expression that means "Then and Now".

Could I also say "Mele. Ma'anei, ma'o"?

I spoke with another Hawaiian language speaker last night and she suggested "Na mele o ka hope a keia" which she says means "Music, then and now".

So I'm asking the language experts here to help me out on this. What would be a suitable way of saying " Music, Then and Now" or "Music, Past and Present" in Hawaiian?

Maholo for your help.

E aloha Norman,

My own suggestion would be to talk this over with Liko Puha and get his mana`o. He has fabulous resources available to help you find the best possible name for your show. You have a wonderful opportunity to provide an educational service to your community, so I think the greatest care should be taken to malama (cherish, develop) it.

Sometimes sayings which make sense within the cultural context of the islands do not translate well when removed from that context, and are misinterpreted and then promulgated in a way that detracts from an accurate understanding of the culture and language.

Sometimes idiomatic expressions, while an excellent shorthand for communication between people with a solid foundation in the language and culture, are not the best way to develop a foundation.

I rather like the suggestion: Na mele o ka hope a keia
Another possibility could be something like He Huaka`i Mele - mai ka wa mamua, mai keia la A Musical Journey, from the times before, to this day. (disclaimer: I am typing this off the top of my head, without research, so please check with Liko or someone equally studied before using!)

Malama pono,
Leilehua

E laua nei!

"Then and Now" is a bit out of context for use with a Hawaiian perspective as Leilehua has shared.

Mark, please describe again, the "intent" for the show.

The program is intended for whom? (Who is the audience? Who are the listeners?)

What feelings/emotions do you wish these listeners to experience by the songs you select and play?

How do you decide which songs to play? Popularity? Requests? Your own favorites?

Why do want to name the show with a "then and now" theme?

What is the name of the area the radio station resides?

Please include any information that will flush out imagery, emotion, purpose and intent regarding your program.

'O au iho no,
Liko Puha
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  07:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

quote:
Originally posted by Hula Rider

quote:
Aloha e Leilehua,

That is a catchy and easy name, but I think it sounds too much like Bill Wynne's Ho'olohe Hou.

'Alika

Ah, yes, if there is another show with such a similar name, it would not be good to appear to copy. I seldom listen to radio, so I am pretty ignorant as to what is currently on the air.

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Part of me wants to let him speak for himself, but I guess I'll fill you in anyway. He's on this board, and his radio show plays online every Sunday on 50th State Radio, all the way from New Jersey. Figures that you haven't heard of it. Hahaha!

OH! Mahalo nui loa! Being filled in is a good thing. Wow! new Jersey!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000