Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 How to attract noise
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  02:51:19 AM  Show Profile
Is it just me, or does Sonny Barger's Harley, Howard Hugh's Gee Bee, and Jed Clampet's muffler dragging model T all suddenly show up when you try to do a recording?
Sheesh!

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 09/09/2007 03:04:36 AM

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  03:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Bob, the best time to try to record around here is on a drizzly chill gray day with no wind in the Fall, Spring, or early/late Winter late on a Sat. or Sun. No kids out playing, no lawnmowers, no weed whackers, no sports planes, traffic hum low (because low traffic), sound transmission low, etc. Heat or cool the house off ahead of time and shut down the furnace or A/C. Pull the plug on the fridge. Send the kids (if applicable) to the movies.

Unless you live under the flight path to LAX like Dog does - then it is always tough. The only real way out is sound insulation and I am not willing to devote a whole room to that for a hobby.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  04:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

Is it just me, or does Sonny Barger's Harley, Howard Hugh's Gee Bee, and Jed Clampet's muffler dragging model T all suddenly show up when you try to do a recording?
Sheesh!

Bob, I am laughing my `okole off at the timeliness of this thread. The reason I checked out taropatch.net just now is because I am in a "noise disturbance delay." My intention was to record my radio program this morning but I awoke to the neighbors mowing their lawn.

In recent weeks, my program has also been plagued with cricket noise as my antiquated home has no air conditioning and I was trying to record with the window to my studio open. How silly of me to want to breathe!

Oh, and does anybody want to adopt a generally well-behaved but noisy dog? Pictures available upon request - as well as any number of recordings (outtakes from my program where I was stopped abruptly by a growl, a howl, or a barking tirade because somebody had the audacity to go for a walk on the street where my dog lives).

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  7:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Funny you should post this...

It is the weekend, and I live in the mountains, where everyone wants to live because it so nice and quiet.

I was working out in my garden, but had to go inside and close all the windows, because down the street some guys have their chainsaws going, along with lots of yelling and shouting, then my new neighbor across the street fires up her leaf-blower, and another guy down the street has a huge truck backing up going BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP. My next door neighbor comes home in his training-wheel big Diesel truck and proceeds to back and forth to get in into some special position on his half-acre farm!!!!!!!!!!!

I was tempted to go on my deck and play my ukelele and sing at the top of my voice but could not go outside for all the dust and the mold and the junk being pushed around by the leaf blower. Is there anywhere on earth where one can get some peace and quiet?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  02:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Julie, 2 places we have been that are absolutely quiet: Chaco Canyon, Nageezi, NM and the village of Blockley, Glos. England (the Cotswolds). The only thing is that you have to accept the noise of that little tiny bird 2 miles away that you can hear cheep occasionally. (Well, mostly quiet, there is the occasional visitor car at Chaco and the occasional church bell in Blockley.)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  02:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Julie, 2 places we have been that are absolutely quiet: Chaco Canyon, Nageezi, NM and the village of Blockley, Glos. England (the Cotswolds). The only thing is that you have to accept the noise of that little tiny bird 2 miles away that you can hear cheep occasionally. (Well, mostly quiet, there is the occasional visitor car at Chaco and the occasional church bell in Blockley.)

...Reid

Ah, yes. I can hear it now - moving my studio to one of these pristine locales and having the birds complain about the excessive noise generated by the whirring of my PC's fan and the ground loop hum from my microphone preamp.

And then when I finally get driven out of town for my noise offenses, all those birds are trained to say is, "This is Ho`olohe Hou. Keep listening. Cuckoo."

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  06:41:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Chaco Canyon
You forgot about the often-present Ravens around Chaco. We had finally gotten to sleep in our tent around 2AM, only to be woken-up at 6AM by a screeching raven as it flew over our tent in middle of an un-expected snow-storm in late April. As we had expected 100 degree weather, we had not brought much cold weather gear!

I also remember a time I recorded all of Chopin's Mazurkas for commercial release back in the seventies. We had taken the care to have the facilities people turn off the air conditioning for a few hours in one of the acoustically best halls (a multi-million dollar building) at the University on a quiet Sunday (no streets nearby either). It turns out that there were some small cracks in the sloping floor of the hall (intentionally designed thermal expansion joints). In those cracks lived crickets (SURPRISE!) and they loved to sing-along to Chopin! I went around the hall during the recording with a long-bladed screwdriver, sticking it into the cracks, trying to suppress the buggers. Some cricket noises ended up on the recording anyway. The really interesting thing was that the pianist was never able to hear the crickets on the recording, even though they were plenty clear to me. All he could hear was his own playing and how well (or not well) he was performing. These days, with modern tools (such as Audition) I would be able to remove most of the cricket noise without disturbing the piano sounds much, but back then, such a thing was nearly impossible. We had to re-schedule and re-record after spraying most of the place with bug killer. The pianist was also distraught that he would have to play some material over again.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/10/2007 07:45:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  08:52:52 AM  Show Profile
A chirping cricket made Buddy Holly famous.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/11/2007 06:04:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  2:42:38 PM  Show Profile
I recorded at home between about 2AM and 4AM.
My wife is a heavy sleeper.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  5:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
These days, with modern tools (such as Audition) I would be able to remove most of the cricket noise without disturbing the piano sounds much, but back then, such a thing was nearly impossible.

Not to mention the major karmic hit you entailed from screw(driver)ing the crickets. You will pay for that, my friend. chirrrup, chirrrup.

I make a point of crediting the critters who show up on my recordings... who include crickets, cicadas, dogs, and a lovely wee songbird who got processed through a chorus effect.

I once had to dummy a whale song, but that's a story for another time...
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  8:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  05:16:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

...Reid

There are a lot of quiet places on "The Rez": Keet Seel up in Tsegi Canyon (Navajo National Monument), the campground above Spider Rock in Canyon de Chelly, for example. One of my favorite places in this sector of the universe.... UP here in WA, there's Spider Meadow, in the Chiwawa River area (up Phelps Creek) just east of Glacier Peak.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Quiet is good. Silent is not so good. I could not imagine any peaceful spot on earth without birds chirping or wind blowing the leaves of the trees, or the sound of surf, or of a creek tumbling over the rocks. To me, it is like the earth is breathing or purring. I love the time of year when the cicadas start their buzzing and love to hear the crickets in the evening. Or rain on a tin roof.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  07:10:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Not to mention the major karmic hit you entailed from screw(driver)ing the crickets.

Very funny... Actually, I don't think I killed even one, they would crawl further down into the cracks and escape the "blade of death" (but they would quit singing for a little while). However, the exterminators who then came out to spray the place certainly killed hundreds. Sorry... If it were folk music, they would have survived, but you are not going to compete with Deutsche Grammaphone with Crickets on your Chopin. However, if I had been a little quicker with the blade, maybe the recording would have included the sound of Chopin Crickets. Which makes me think... What IS the sound of one Cricket Chopin?

Don't get me started!...

(Sorry... just thought that, of late, this place has maybe gotten a little too serious.)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/11/2007 09:36:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000