Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Slack Key Piano
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  09:19:09 AM  Show Profile
Just hoping the idea brought some humor to you.
I am in a weird mood today.

Bob

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  09:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/pianoslack.mid

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Craig, what tuning is that piano in?

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:06:15 AM  Show Profile
I cannot play slack key on my piano because mine does not have strings (its a Clavinova). It only has microchips and resistors and capacitors and such. But I can push a button and make it sound like many different kinds of guitars.

Craig - that is pretty cool. I don't even know if my fingers could move that fast on piano. Sounds like part slack key/part ragtime/part boogie woogie. Cool.

Hey Bob - no shame stay weird. I've done it myself, a time or two.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  11:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Well, there's George Winston, whose accompaniment on some of Keola's recordings manages to fit in pretty well.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  2:10:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking more like Sarah and that's what made the idea funny to me.
I think you get more open strings that way. Right Sarah?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  2:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hawaiian piano is its own genre of Hawaiian music which is not widely played. The style, like the uke and steel, often follows the slack key influence. Aaron J. Sala is keeping this beautiful music alive.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  03:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Right, Bob, lots of open strings, so it's a shame to use a capo. I never capo my piano.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:22:14 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine had a capo made for his Eb tuba to drop it to D. A piano capo would probably need a case and other accoutrements.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
It's a little known fact that slack key piano originated back in the days of the paniolos as well. They brought their pianos along with their guitars but quickly realized that it was too difficult to move them from campfire to campfire. When it was time to leave, pianos remained scattered across the countryside with nobody left who knew how to tune them properly. (Which, interestingly enough, resulted in the expression "You can't tune a piano but you can tuna fish," which has since been stolen and misquoted by haoles.) The rest, of course, is musical history.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
"'Opihi Moemoe" sounds great like that! Is this published as sheet music for piano? I'd like to purchase it and learn it!

Mahalo,
'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Hawaiian piano is its own genre of Hawaiian music which is not widely played. The style, like the uke and steel, often follows the slack key influence. Aaron J. Sala is keeping this beautiful music alive.
Jesse Tinsley

'Ae, and so is Ata Damasco. I keep in touch with both of them by e-mail. They're very sweet.

'Alika

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  1:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

Craig, what tuning is that piano in?

Isn't that g tuning? It's the key of g at least.

'Alika

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  9:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

"'Opihi Moemoe" sounds great like that! Is this published as sheet music for piano? I'd like to purchase it and learn it!

No, I just took the tab from Leonard Kwan's book that I'd previously entered into the computer and had the tab program output it as piano instead of guitar (which accounts for the strange slurs).

Craig
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  11:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

No, I just took the tab from Leonard Kwan's book that I'd previously entered into the computer and had the tab program output it as piano instead of guitar (which accounts for the strange slurs).

Hiki mai.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  06:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
All Hawaiian songs can be played on the piano this way. I used to hear a lot of this style of playing when I was younger. It is a style of piano that emulates slack key, using an alternating bass on the left hand and the right hand either comping, playing the melody or a counter melody. More often than not the marker would be the familiar V7 to I vamp at the end of a verse. If the player is a good there will be some variation otherwise it will become predictable. In comparison to other styles of piano it is simple, though not well known outside of Hawaii.

All of the music that I write or the slack key that I transcribe can be played on the piano. The obvious differences will be the inability to reproduce the legato character of slack key. That is,the smooth change of one note to another when sliding up or down a string and the triplets with an interval larger than a fourth -- you would need really big hands or have to move really quick.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000