Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Bill Wynn on Falsetto Contest Winners #7
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:47:48 AM  Show Profile
Please check out our dear friend, Bill Wynne on this beautiful CD at Auntie Maria's web site.
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/various+artists/aloha+festivals+falsetto+contest+winners+-+vol.+7/

Bill - tell us a bit about making this recording. Did you record your stuff in Hawai`i? Who is playing behind you (some swell steel guitar)? And who are your back up singers? How did you decide which mele to record? And how DA HECK your voice get one range like that? Wowie. Blew me away. Fantastic.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  11:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
And our pal Gary Medeiros (known here in TP land as falsetto2002) is on this one, Vol. 4:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/various+artists/aloha+festivals+falsetto+contest+winners+-+vol.+4/
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  4:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Please check out our dear friend, Bill Wynne on this beautiful CD at Auntie Maria's web site.
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/various+artists/aloha+festivals+falsetto+contest+winners+-+vol.+7/

Bill - tell us a bit about making this recording. Did you record your stuff in Hawai`i? Who is playing behind you (some swell steel guitar)? And who are your back up singers? How did you decide which mele to record? And how DA HECK your voice get one range like that? Wowie. Blew me away. Fantastic.

So much time on your hands - and you're not even retired yet!

Making these recordings was an interesting experience. We did it at Doctor Trey's studio (also known as Tracey Tereda, uke player extraordinaire and teacher of Jake) in Kane`ohe. And when I say "studio" I mean "warehouse in between auto repair shop and bread delivery truck depot." I was concerned about the hammajang appearance of the exterior, and stepping inside didn't improve my confidence. The extraordinary measures that needed to be taken to keep noise out of the studio in this industrial setting resulted in a less than aesthetically pleasing ambiance. But it didn't matter. Tracey's set-up is world-class and his magic with the sliders and knobs was all that mattered.

Not to belittle the result in any way or diminish anyone's perception of the amount of effort that went into these tracks, but 90% of the work on my cuts - the rhythm section and vocals - were done in about an hour-and-a-half. I went into the studio with guitarist Kai Artis and bassist, arranger, producer, and all-around utility man Baba Alimoot and we worked out the arrangements together and went through each two or three times to refine intros, endings, and modulations. I then stepped out of the studio into the engineering room and left Kai and Baba inside where they recorded the bass and lead guitar parts while I sang along with them from the engineering room. We could hear each other, but this set-up ensures that the bass and guitar get on their respective tracks for mixing later without my vocal bleeding on to them. We went through all three songs this way - laying down just the bass and lead guitar. I then went back into the booth to record the rhythm guitar tracks for each cut. I then dropped the guitar and recorded all the lead vocals. I then recorded the backing vocals for "Kawaihae Hula" and "Hu`ehu`e." So when you listen to those again, you are actually hearing my voice overdubbed three times. All of this was done in one take - just in time for the delivery from the okazuya BBQ. I think it took longer to eat than to record.

On the day of the session, we didn't quite know how to finish off "Ida's Hula." So, a few days later, Baba went back in and recorded the backing vocals for those. And then Casey Olsen went in to record steel guitar for "Ida's Hula" - replacing Kai's original slack key lead. Steel guitar takes the lead on almost every song on the CD, so we wanted a slightly different sound for my other two cuts. So we kept Kai's lead slack key guitar (which, for the slack key artists, before you ask, he played in standard tuning).

How I chose the songs:

- I have loved "Ida's Hula" ever since I first heard Tony Conjugacion's recording (which was the only recording to date). The song came from Auntie Vicki Ii's songbook, so although a version appears in Johnny Noble's songbook, I went to Vicki's daughter - Nina Keali`iwahamana - who helped me with the proper lyric and translation. I insisted on singing this song in the 2004 falsetto contest when I learned that it was written by Ida Alicante who - like me - was not of Hawaiian descent but who - just like me - was half Native American and half Filipino (or, in her case, Filipina). I took second place with that song in 2004.

- There is no bigger fan of Uncle Bill Ali`iloa Lincoln than me. As far as falsetto singers go, he is my "muse" and my "hero." (I mean no disrespect to other falsetto singers as I love them all.) But, more importantly, nobody writes a better song for a falsetto singer to sing than a falsetto singer! When I heard that the 2005 falsetto contest was honoring Bill Lincoln, that sealed the deal to perform a Bill Lincoln composition. But which one? There are several obscure, rarely recorded ones, but I opted for one I learned from an old Bell Records 78rpm from my own collection, "Kawaihae Hula," which he wrote for one of his homes near Kohala. The imagery in it is beautiful! And it had only been recorded once more in the 1980s by another falsetto great, Sam Bernard. So I thought the song needed to be heard again after 20 years. I was thrilled and honored that Uncle Bill's nieces were in the audience that night, so I dedicated it to them. And this was the one that finally took the grand prize - after five attempts on two islands.

- The theme of the falsetto CD the year I won was "paniolo." So Hula Records asked each of us to pick a paniolo favorite. I immediately leapt to "Hu`ehu`e" because it was written by Rose Simerson and first recorded by The Kahauanu Lake Trio who were kin to the Simerson `ohana. I did this in honor of Uncle Tommy Lake whose very jazzy bass style was the jet propulsion fueling the trio and who - many do not realize - was the beautiful falsetto voice that led many of the trio's numbers, such as the classic "Pua `Ahihi." I sang "Pua `Ahihi" on my first attempt in the contest (which was probably a huge mistake as none other than Kahauanu Lake himself was a judge that evening). But his brother Tommy enjoyed it very much and we struck up an on-going friendship that evening. When I went into the recording studio on July 2, 2006, Uncle Tommy was battling cancer and was very near the end of his journey. But I asked Dr. Trey to mixdown "Hu`ehu`e" so that I could rush a copy over to Uncle Tommy for him to hear. I thought maybe it would cheer him up. But I didn't get there in time. On the morning of July 4th around 6:30am, Lorri Lake called me and told me that we had lost Uncle Tommy. I was devastated, of course, but comforted - a little - when Lorri said, "He was really already gone, and his spirit was with you in the studio."

I think she's right because I am very proud of that work and it was so easy. I hope and pray there is more to come someday.

Thanks for asking about this monumentous event in my life.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 09/13/2007 4:18:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  5:00:13 PM  Show Profile
I am amazed . . . . .

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  7:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Bill,

Thanks for sharing your "monumentous event" with us. I am still trying to figure out who hijacked my copy of your Falsetto winners CD before I ever got to listen to it!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  2:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Bill:

I just want to tell you I loved "Ida's Hula" ever since I heard you do it on Vol. 7. It's now one of my most favorite tunes to listen to these days. The arrangment and singing is just fabulous. It's just so unbelievable that you recorded these songs so quickly, too. Now, that's true talent! Keep up the great work. - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  09:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MahinaM

Bill:

I just want to tell you I loved "Ida's Hula" ever since I heard you do it on Vol. 7. It's now one of my most favorite tunes to listen to these days. The arrangment and singing is just fabulous. It's just so unbelievable that you recorded these songs so quickly, too. Now, that's true talent! Keep up the great work. - Maggie

So YOU'RE the one who bought the only copy we sold!

Thanks for the compliment and for supporting falsetto music.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  7:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

Thanks for the compliment and for supporting falsetto music.

...and Vol. 8 is due out soon (got a promo today.)
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  8:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Really? Man, I can't wait to hear it. I have every volume. Each album filled with some of the best falsetto singing, ever! They are all gems! It's nice to know some of our very own Taropatchers have been winners. (Sigh), if I can only sing half as well as some of you guys, I'd die a happy person! In the meantime, I'll just listen and enjoy! - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  12:46:02 AM  Show Profile
Hey Bill - you in Hawai`i? If so, we need travel log...reports on the fun and experiences you are having, like Fran Guidry did back in May. Share the aloha. Pics, too.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  10:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Hey Bill - you in Hawai`i? If so, we need travel log...reports on the fun and experiences you are having, like Fran Guidry did back in May. Share the aloha. Pics, too.

Wanda, I have been in Hawai`i since 9/14 and fully intend to chronicle this trip because it has been filled with amazing Hawaiian music. I thought I would update this site on a daily basis but my favorite internet café closed and - frankly - I am in Hawai`i nei and didn't feel like sitting in front of a computer an hour a day.

But I am looking forward to sharing mana`o on the Waikiki Ho`olaule`a (O'Brien Eselu with Ken Makuakane, Weldon Kekauoha, Kaukahi, Holunape), Thursdays with Aunty Genoa Keawe, and Sundays at Honey's with Eddie Kamae and guys (and the surprise appearance there of Keahi Conjugacion, Melveen Leed, and Owana Salazar).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000