Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Young Hawaiians and Hawaiian music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  04:52:52 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering what you guys think about the current climate of Hawaiian music in Hawaii.

I know from experience that most 18-30 year olds* in Hawaii (on Oahu at least) identify more with reggae music than traditional Hawaiian music. Is it me or does there seem to be a shortage of young musicians performing traditional Hawaiian music. The only one I can think of is Raiatea Helm. Then again, I have been away for 3 years, so things may have changed a bit.

Even then seemingly all the live Hawaiian music was geared towards the tourists and not so much to locals. I kind of wished that I could have grown up a few decades earlier when bands like the Sunday Manoa or the Sons of Hawaii were in their prime.

What are your thoughts on the current climate of Hawaiian music?

*the demographic which I am a part of

Edited by - sm80808 on 09/24/2007 07:49:56 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Well, from what I have seen, there is certainly a large interest in reggae/Jawaiian from the young generation. But there are also others such as Hoku Zuttermeister, Barry Kimokeo, Pali guys, Raiatea, Brittni, David Kamakahi who seem to be firmly rooted in traditional music. And I am not saying that they play it exclusively, just like us old futs like other types of music. I talked to Martin Pahinui about perpetuating the old style music. I asked him what the yonger generation of Pahinuis are doing, seeing as how they sure have music in the blood. He said, kind of disgustedly or perhaps kind of sadly, "rock and roll". That made me laugh. I said, Martin, I have listened to "Cane Fire". We both laughed at that. Yeah, the kids may be playing some of the more modern stuff, but you know, this music is the root, the foundation, the kumu, and I bet they will come back to it.

I have just finished reading a very good book called Ho`opono by Pali Jae Lee. In it, she talks about post-missionary `ohana trying to come to grips with the way their world was changing because of the missionary influence. She spoke of the Ali`i of that time breaking kapu and becoming Christian and of trying to do away with the old ways...of keeping the genealogy, of the `oli, of the hula. She spoke of how an extended `ohana would work together very hard during the day and in the evening, at night, they would gather behind their fenced in yards and talk story, play music, sing and dance the old hulas. No haole ever saw this. The families kept it secret for fear of being ratted out to the "man". Many Hawaiians adopted Christianity and became quite zealous in their new-found religion and did not bat an eye at telling the authorities about those Hawaiians who still tried to hang on to the old ways. I wonder if this is why slack key was kept close to each `ohana and why slack key tunings were not shared unless you were `ohana. Not out of selfishness, but more out of self-preservation. They had to speak English in school and in business dealings, but not everyone gave up on that and they tried to follow their old ways in the evenings, in the dark, where prying haole or malihini eyes would not see them or hear them.

As far as I am concerned, if at least one person of the younger generation has aloha for the traditional Hawaiian music, then it has not died and will not die.

I am so thankful that I have discovered the music, and it won't die if I have anything to do with it. There is a whole new bunch of people who want to keep the music alive, even if we are haoles. This music and the old Hawaiian ways touch more than those who reside in the islands. The music has mana. That is why it will never die. That is why young folks will continue to play the music, because if they truly love the music, they will absorb mana from it, without any conscious effort to do so. It will come. The music will live.

(Read that book, you guys. It is a wonderful primer on how to live with true aloha. That is the beginning and the end. Everything else will come into place if you truly live aloha.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  08:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
For myself, I am more into the traditional Hawaiian music than Jawaiian/Reggae music. I actually fall in the category between 18-30 age group. I guess for me, the reason why I am into the traditional and more modern Hawaiian music is that I took up 'Olelo Hawai'i (Hawaiian language) and culture while I was in college. I am still learning 'Olelo Hawai'i with some help from my hoaaloha (friends) who are native speakers, such as mokupuni (who lurks here from time to time), and other people.
I also had the opportunity to meet some of the local Hawaiian musicians and artists. They are super cool that when I meet them they are like, You are my number one fan aren't you. The Hawaiian artists/musicians that I met so far are: Keali'i Blaisdell, Keali'i Reichel, Weldon Kekauoha, Bryan Tolentino(SOB), Alika Boy,the group Imua, and Hapa (with Keli'i Kaneali'i and Barry Flanagan). Can't wait to meet more.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Edited by - hawaiianmusiclover06 on 09/23/2007 08:24:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  11:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I think more of the younger generation is coming out with Jawaiian stuff, but for me, whenever I hear new traditional Hawaiian acts coming onto the music scene, I feel blessed. One that you should check out that hasn't been mentioned here is Natalie Ai Kamauu. What an amazing voice!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile
"For myself, I am more into the traditional Hawaiian music than Jawaiian/Reggae music. I actually fall in the category between 18-30 age group."

Too bad there are not more young people like you and I, and maybe there would be a vibrant Hawaiian music scene.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  01:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Hey - us old futs still got plenty of living to do and by our actions, we are getting more folks interested in traditional Hawaiian music.

Even way over here in Cleveland, Ohio (where the Cleveland Indians clinched the Central Div. championship), we are spreading our love for Hawaiian music. Several years ago, my brother-in-law was grooving to some Iz music while visiting our home. So for his birthday, we bought him an Iz CD. Whenever I take anyone in my car, they gotta listen to what I have on my CD player...and it is only traditional Hawaiian music. But , although they are a captive audience, they can't help but like it. My twenty-something daughters who love the Smashing Pumpkins and Tori Amos and that kind of music, know various Hawaiian musicians, like many of the songs, have picked up some Hawaiian words (I'm glad they know what pono is) simply because they were exposed to it. I've shared CDs with many folks at work. I've got one friend who listened to some Led Kaapana and some Cyril Pahinui that I lent him, and went right out and ordered stuff for himself. Now I realize this is only spreadiing the music, not getting youngsters to play, but if we can create a market, perhaps the younger generation will step up to the plate and fulfill that need.

Kind of like the "Field of Dreams" movie about baseball....if you build it, they will come.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  04:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
There are many young Hawaiians who can play traditional Hawaiian music, just as there are many young mainlanders who can play "You Are My Sunshine" and "I'll Fly Away". It's not dead, it's just not on the radio. It's people like us who focus on the genre and perseverate over it, but Hawaiian music is still heard all over the islands at family luaus and jams in the park.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  05:30:16 AM  Show Profile
No doubt that Hawaiian music exists, but outside of the mainstream. I have noticed that fewer and fewer of my family play music at family parties... the kids rather play their PSP's than learn to play with the uncles and aunties.

I just wonder why it is that Hawaiian music isn't as marketable in Hawai'i to younger Hawaiians. There are only a handful of young artists, and most of the successful artists are guys who have been around for a long time. Who will they pass the torch to? The pool is relatively small.

I know the appeal of reggae music. You play it at a club and the young people dance, a common theme through pop music from crunk to techno to reggae. Not so much with Hawaiian music. Maybe that is a big factor. If so, that is really worrisome to me for the future of music.

I was in a reggae band myself and I had a teacher tell it to me like this once, "Do you think they are playing Hawaiian music in Jamaica?".. it made me think.

All things go in cycles, so maybe I just have wait for the next wave of interest to come in and enjoy the scenery until then.

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  06:39:35 AM  Show Profile
I think the perpetuation of traditional Hawaiian music will happen because of the work of the kumu and the numerous hula halau, and, possibly, the work of the immersion schools.

I also think that the world wide appeal of hip hop and rap plugs into larger trends occuring worldwide. Almost 20 years ago Paul Simon gave an interview in which he lamented the loss of melody in popular music. That has been going on in classical music for over 80 years. It's part of the same trend that spawned deconstructionism in philosophy. Almost like the old has to die away for a new reality to be born. We are beginning to see that happen. Philosophy is beginning to understand that "deconstruction" is only a prelude to a new synthesis. Many classical musicians and composers are returning to melody, albeit in new forms. Popular culture always lags behind. Give it another 50 years or so and there will be another return to melody in Hawaiian music, along with a revival in the "old" ways.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  07:24:22 AM  Show Profile
I fall into the 18-30 age group (barely now ...) since I'm on da uppa end of dat. I like da jawaiian music ... I play um all da time. BUT, I like da traditional stuff too. Lately I stay playing way mo traditional stuff den jawaiian. My bruddah (4 years younger den me), on da odda hand, really no like da traditional kine stuff. He wen tell me ... "Iz's new CD is good ... only da first couple tracks, cuz da rest is all da Hawaiian stuff ..."

I tink traditional music neva goin die, like RJS wen say, since get choke kumu who goin pass um down, an sites laddis, dat keep da discussion and kanikapila alive. Shootz, gotta go!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  07:56:03 AM  Show Profile
RJS: hopefully that is the case. Maybe I haven't lived long enough to see that occur in my life time, so it makes it hard to have a good perspective on the situation.

I suppose that in a way, the Ka'au Crater Boys were a throw back to the Peter Moon Band style. I kind of wish there were a group like the early Sunday Manoa or Olomana; progresive arrangements of great traditional songs, strong vocals, and great musicianship all in one band. (I suppose the Cazimero Brothers are still pretty close to that..)
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by studentaccount1

"For myself, I am more into the traditional Hawaiian music than Jawaiian/Reggae music. I actually fall in the category between 18-30 age group."

Too bad there are not more young people like you and I, and maybe there would be a vibrant Hawaiian music scene.

Mahalo for your kind words. I really appreciate it. I have to agree that too bad there aren't a lot of people who appreciate the beauty and the language of Hawaiian music. Maybe you and I should start a group or something?

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  04:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Music is best experienced live. Music is communication, not product. People today know mostly what they are sold. The important thing is to play when you can, jam when you can, and listen to live music when you can. Keep turning the rocks over, you'll find traditional music out there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000