Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Does a Low G set sound GOOD on a soprano/concert?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  1:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
This is an opportunity for those with experience to indicate if a low G string set sounds good, in their opinion, on small ukuleles, soprano and concert sized only. This is posed not merely to ascertain whether this option is better suited to tenor scale instruments, but whether specific ukuleles can truly benefit from the lower tone, and if so, what unique qualities they seem to possess.

Are they solid wood? Are they thicker plywood? Do they have a spruce top, or all koa construction? Is a solid wood top something that improves or worsens Low G performance? Low G sets are available for any sized ukulele, but can one reliably expect the "low G" sound that one is seeking merely because one likes the sound of one's ukulele with standard tuning or someone elses with low G tuning?

I pose this in part because tuning my existing G and C strings down to C and low G, respectively, did not produce a pleasing sound in terms of strums of C6, F, and G chords with that tuning and finger positions adjusted properly, while this Baja concerto seems quite adept at projecting a nice tone with standard tuning and the same strings. This Baja has good sustain and "punch" with its spruce top with standard tuning. It is supposed to be solid wood, with a mahogany back and sides, and rosewood fingerboard.

I do not wish to seek specific inputs regarding my Baja concerto*. I am simply trying to evaluate whether "sounding good" with low G tuning is a function of the instrument, and to what extent it seems to be affected by specific qualities of the instrument that can be categorized.

*I will await my low G and middle C wound strings from Aquila and install them on the Baja to see if that improves the tone over standard G and C strings simply tuned down to approximate mandolin tuning (except for the E string, of course).

Thank you.

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  1:32:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a Kamaka concert and have used a low G on it for the entire time I've had it (over 20 years). I love the sound I get out of it. I've used both wound and unwound (Worth) strings for the low G - the wound hurts more when I play (duh), but I think I get a better sound from the wound string.

Edited by - Momi on 09/13/2007 1:33:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  8:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My concert with low G sounds great. And last month I bought an old Washburn round soprano uke with a low G wound string on it and it sounded good, too. I gave the old (60s) round uke to a friend for his birthday.

Jesse
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  3:32:08 PM  Show Profile
It depends on the uke, the uke player, and the music being played, but my concerts/soprano sounded good with low G.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  07:05:56 AM  Show Profile
High G and low G can both sound good. It depends . . . Some songs have a complex melodic structure with a small octave range -- they sound great and are easier to accomplish with a high-G ukulele. Some songs require a wider octave range and some bass notes to alter the inversions of the chords -- these sound better with a low-G ukulele.

Sometimes I think the discussion is defended one way other or the other by those players that are used to playing consistently with only high-G OR low-G. in other words, where you sit defines what you see.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  08:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I see your point. I'm really interested in the general tone that is produced, more than the music. I'd hate to see people installing low G strings if they may not sound good on some ukuleles. Kamakas are legendary ukuleles with a tie going back to Mr. Nunes(sp?), and probably sound good tonally if strung with rubber bands. Most people don't spend that kind of money on a ukulele.

I realize that some ukuleles will always sound better than others regardless of the strings, but I wonder if some ukuleles are designed only for the higher tuning, and can't support the lower timbre of the low G string set.

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 09/17/2007 08:54:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  2:24:00 PM  Show Profile
"Absolute" send me an email direct and I will give you Paul Okami's email to ask him directly. He is the chief luthier for KoAloha Ukulele and he could tell you about how and why they design and build ukuleles they way they do. Better yet, go to the KoAloha web site and call them. Trish will probably answer the phone. Ask for Pops, Alan, Brian, or Paul. But Paul would probably give you a good answer. Remember the Hawaiian Time Zone and let the phone ring.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  3:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Thank you for the suggestion, but then I'd only get a response from a well known, Hawaiian ukulele manufacturer, that works directly with the likes of Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta, Jr.! I was hoping for a survey of what real people had encountered to find out if the cheapies, the plastic ukuleles, the resonators, the pineapples, the Chinese plywood knock-offs, are all "fit for low G", and, possibly, if low cost, plywood ukuleles might even do a better job with low G tuning due to their weight and presumably lower natural resonant frequency. (I'd expect Kamaka's and hand-made KoAloha's to be designed to work with any string set.)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  3:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Actually, my dad's Kamaka soprano is the uke I like low G on the the least. The low G feels kinda floppy with the shorter scale. It still sounds OK depending on what is being played.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  4:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Absolute

Thank you for the suggestion, but then I'd only get a response from a well known, Hawaiian ukulele manufacturer, that works directly with the likes of Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta, Jr.! I was hoping for a survey of what real people had encountered to find out if the cheapies, the plastic ukuleles, the resonators, the pineapples, the Chinese plywood knock-offs, are all "fit for low G", and, possibly, if low cost, plywood ukuleles might even do a better job with low G tuning due to their weight and presumably lower natural resonant frequency. (I'd expect Kamaka's and hand-made KoAloha's to be designed to work with any string set.)

As an alleged real person with a Lanikai CK-TEQ which probably fits into some, if not all, of your categories (you decide) I find a low G string set works very well.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  5:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
The Lanikai CK-TEQ is a tenor scale instrument, right?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  04:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Yes.

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  04:30:11 AM  Show Profile
IMO, it has to do with scale length (length between bridge and nut) more than anything. The longer scale length makes the G string feel tighter and gives a better playing response. Shorter scales will feel more "floppy". There is also an inherent tonal difference as well.. but that is subjective.

My current personal preference is reentrant on concerts and sopranos, and Low G on tenors and baritones.

I guess it could be summed up like this: longer scale=better feeling/sounding low G

Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  10:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Sounds like longer = better, with greater mass contributing by shades.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000