Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Intensive ukulele session???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

idaho45
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  09:43:49 AM  Show Profile
I am new to the ukulele world, but am an enthusiast who would like to get a quick start by attending a 3-5 day workshop to begin my quest... Hawaii? anywhere in US .... your suggestions would be appreciated.... I live in Idaho and there are no sources for ukulele training... even thinking about starting a ukulele club here in Boise...

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Please e-mail our dear friend on here, Jesse Tinsley (hapakid), who lives in Idaho. A very wise and helpful gentleman. You can look him up on the members page or just lick on his name in any posts that you read and see his name. Welcome to Taro Patch. Also, I would like to suggest that you look in the forum below on Camps & Workshops.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:15:13 AM  Show Profile
"... just lick on his name" ..... yuck

Edited by - 808bk on 09/13/2007 10:16:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Yikes. Good thing I don't have to make a living typing any more. I'd starve, yeah? I think I am going to leave it for humor's sake. Ha-ha.

Please do not leave tongue prints on your computer screen.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/13/2007 10:50:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  11:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow ... dass mo far den LA an Sacramento! I guess you gotta make um mo like one week long eh? If can ...

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Please e-mail our dear friend on here, Jesse Tinsley (hapakid), who lives in Idaho.
Only problem with that is the driving distance between Coeur d'Alene and Boise is about 7 hours.

Maybe they should just agree to meet somewhere else...like Daboonies, WA? If they could only find somebody around there to play Hawaiian music with...
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  1:14:00 PM  Show Profile
So if you can't wait for one to one live teaching, there are also DVD's available. Check out Ralph Shaw's. Good primer though not necessarlily Hawaiian. Then when you go to a workshop in Hawaii you'll be ready for intermediate.

G'uke

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  2:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hey guavasunrise, maybe Idaho45 and I should meet for uke session in the tri cities?
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  7:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Suggestions:
1. Get copy of "Fleabag" from Ukulele Hall of Fame web site and start practicing these old time songs that you know very well using a melodic chord based approach. Getting to the point where you know some basic chords is useful. You can find a lot of chord based ukulele tabs by Googling for "free ukulele tabs" and following links (like "alligatorboogaloo.com" or "ukuleleboogaloo.com").
2. Consider getting a copy of Hal Leonard's Ukulele Method Book I. It's all of five dollars. It goes into fingerstyle playing at a very introductory level. It's a nice, basic (inexpensive) introduction for someone very new to the ukulele. (If the nearest music store capable of ordering a copy for you is also seven hours away, check out BN.com or Amazon.)
3. When you get to the point where you are comfortable with chord based playing, and have the rudiments of how notes can be played from the Hal Leonard book, you may wish to move on to Mark Nelson's "Fingerstyle Ukulele" book ($20.00 from BN.com or Mr. Nelson's web site). Its a progressive book, and is more than a bit challenging if you jump into the middle. (Mr. Nelson sometimes pops in here, so he may get into this.) It's written in tablature format for fingerstyle playing. His playing on the accompanying CD is out of this world, but some of the chord shapes he uses later in the book can be a bit difficult and high on the fingerboard for beginners.
4. You can search YouTube for ukulele tutorials, but they can be wanting at times. (Search for "ukeuncle" on YouTube to hear some great slack key ukulele! The performer has just written a book, but I've been waiting for it to become available on BN.com to get it. He's a Hawaiian ukulele instructor at the University of Hilo. Until I see the book, I hesitate to suggest it as a route to slack key ukulele, which is something that should probably wait until you've tried some basic fingerstyle playing.)
5. The Ralph Shaw ukulele DVD has been recommended on EZFolk forum as well.
6. Once you know how to play from chord based tabs, "Discovering the Ukulele" ($15.00) by Herb Ohta, Jr. and Daniel Ho has some nice music in it. I wouldn't suggest it to someone completely new to the ukulele and music, but it might be a reasonable next step after Hal Leonard's book and a lot of chord based practicing. (I wrote more about this book under the review's tab.) It uses numbered tabs for fingerstyle playing, but also presents the works in a manner that permits you to play them using a melodic chord based approach, or by reading the musical notation (as taught in the Hal Leonard book). The big drawback is that the numbered tabs don't correspond to the musical notation, so timing can be a little tricky until you work something out if you attempt the numbered fingerstyle tabs.
7. If you can find a local music shop with a guitar instructor who won't try to sell you a guitar, you might at least find someone who can give you some basic music lessons on a stringed instrument (but you should tell them you only want to learn to play the ukulele, if that's the case). If you install a "low G" string and tune that string properly, the intervals on your ukulele will be the same as the bottom four strings on a guitar. I don't suggest the "low G" option for chord playing because it can induce some imbalance in the tone of the strings, but it won't affect chord shapes (merely deepen the resulting tones). You might be able to live with the "low G" option with chord based playing, but for the most part, I'd just stick with the standard strings at the start and practice chord based melodies and singing along to improve my timing. You can take pride in steadily increasing your chord repertoire and ability to shift between chords while properly fretting, which is critical to good playing by any method.

I'd resist the urge to spend money at the start. If you want to learn, just get the "Fleabag" and start practicing. These are tunes you are very likely to already know. The ukulele is a chord playing machine! Playing melodies using chords will help you to learn how to fret properly by listening to yourself play. (I don't know if your ukulele was set up by a professional, but trying to play chords like "Bb" might give you some cause to consider whether the "action" is set up properly, with "action" being the height of the strings above the frets. You may also need to consider whether you could benefit from an electronic tuner.) You'll begin to recognize chords, and acquire practice with timing. Once you've gotten that far, you can start to consider fingerstyle playing. Fingerstyle playing takes time to develop. You may think that the numbered tabs will take care of the thinking for you, but there are definitely some special skills involved that are a step beyond chord based playing, particularly where "slides", "harmonics", "hammer on", and "pull off" effects are indicated on the tabs.

Good luck!

Edited by - Absolute on 09/13/2007 7:39:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  7:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Let me just say: Retro + Momi + one-bedroom condo + gathered accumulations of two packrats = where does everyone else sit?

HOWEVER...Something could be done at other locations around Seattle, like maybe Ante Nani's `Ohana Koffee Korner in Bothell; they are open to having all kind gatherings there.

(Ed - you got six giri-giri by now, yeah? Count 'em - - - I'll wait.)

Edited by - Retro on 09/17/2007 09:03:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Let me just say: Retro + Nani + one-bedroom condo + gathered accumulations of two packrats = where does everyone else sit?

HOWEVER...Something could be done at other locations around Seattle, like maybe Ante Nani's `Ohana Koffee Korner in Bothell; they are open to having all kind gatherings there.

(Ed - you got six giri-giri by now, yeah? Count 'em - - - I'll wait.)

There's also the Kona Kitchen in Maple Leaf, your SUPA gathering in West Seattle, Auntie Neej's jam in Bellvue, or my place in Maple Leaf, eh?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  12:23:48 PM  Show Profile
I bet Retro meant that Momi is nani.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  7:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
More like Retro is lolo.

Still waiting on the updated giri-giri count...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000