Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Airfares are dropping / Baggage restrictions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  11:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
My wife is always monitoring airfares, scouting opportunities to visit home (O`ahu), and I thought this worth sharing. Fares from the east coast to Hawai`i are as low as $443.99 on United for various dates from now through May. For more flexible dates, fares are around $500. Fares from the west coast are around $300.

Check 'em if you're interested.Maybe I'll see ya there!

Andy

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  3:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here's another FYI...

United lowers weight allowance for luggage

January 23, 2003

CHICAGO (Orbitz) -- United Airlines passengers may have to start packing fewer items in their luggage if they want to avoid paying an extra fee.

The airline has dropped its weight allowance for free checked baggage from 70 pounds (31.75 kg) to 50 pounds (22.7 kg), United announced Thursday.

Starting Sunday, passengers will be charged $25 for each checked baggage item weighing 50 pounds or more.

The airline will continue to allow two pieces of checked baggage under 50 pounds free of charge, along with one piece of carry-on baggage and a personal item.

The airline previously has allowed two checked bags weighing up to 70 pounds free of charge, and charged $80 for overweight luggage.

The change follows similar moves last month by Northwest and American Airlines, which also dropped the weight allowance for free baggage to 50 pounds.

Those airlines charge $50 for checked baggage weighing more than 70 pounds.

The three airlines don't accept items over 100 pounds (45.4 kg) as checked baggage.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  5:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

What about size, not weight?
I'm wondering about the guitar in a Calton case which is under 50 lbs but big and odd shaped.... we've had to check them "odd size" before, and I thought I'd heard there was an extra charge for that nowadays with the new rules.
Any info?

Sorry if I'm behind the curve on this. Thanks anyway.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  5:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Oops, I missed seeing your post Sarah. Well since we tri-staters often fly Continental's direct flight from Newark, I checked Continental. See http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/baggage
quote:
Musical Instruments
Continental shall not liable for damage to musical instruments.

Continental Airlines will accept musical instruments as checked baggage and recommend the following conditions be met:

• Instrument should be in a hard shell case to protect it during normal handling.

• Stringed instrument should have the strings loosened to protect the neck from damage due to expansion and contraction which may result from temperature variations.

• An oversize instrument or an instrument in addition to the free baggage allowance will be accepted only after payment of the applicable service charge.

Free Baggage Acceptance
2 Checked Bags: Maximum 70 lbs (31 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (measured in linear inches or centimeters, total length + width + height).

Oversized Baggage
  • Checked baggage exceeding 62 linear inches (157 cm) will be charged at the rate of 80 USD per piece.
  • These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or overweight baggage.
  • Baggage measuring more than 115 in/203 cm (total outside dimensions; length + width + height) will not be accepted as checked baggage. It may be shipped as air cargo. Please contact Continental Cargo for more details.

So it appears Continental's limit is still 70 lbs. Seems to me that the various rules are open to the interpretation of Continental workers.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  01:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
FYI

Those standard guitar boxes, like the one I got from Buffalo Brothers, are 74 linear inches, 54+13+7 (total outside dimensions; length + width + height). So I guess those are out, darn, at least for Continental.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  12:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just curious, how does one properly measure the length of a guitar case? Measuring the height and depth (width) seems clear to me but the length? Is it the widest part of the guitar case, i.e. the lower bout?

I'm convinced that my parlor in a gig bag is easily less than 70lbs. and within the 62 linear inch limit. Of course, I don't think I'm willing gamble not winning this bet and being forced to check my guitar in a soft gig bag. Appreciate any one else's comments?

Nevermind what I just wrote. I'm spacing out and forgot the difference between checked baggage and carry on baggage!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  06:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just an fyi... when I flew a Continental 767 to O`ahu, I carried my guitar in a soft gig bag in to the cabin without any objection from any flight attendants. It barely fit in the overhead compartment, but I shoved it in there.

I did this with my not-so-good guitar. Not sure what the options would be with a nice guitar. I certainly would not want to put it in a soft gig bag. Continental probably would have gate checked a hard shell case.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000