Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What did you submit for the CD?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Guess what I've been doing with my lunch hour today?! Anyway, I couldn't find the original thread I started for this so I'll start again. If you have submitted something for the TaroPatch CD that Raymond is putting together, please add the text describing your submission to this thread. That way it's all in one place and everyone else can see what they're getting (or missing). Mahalo!

(Please try to limit posts to this thread to your submission text.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/12/2003 4:46:16 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Double Slack Swing
Andy Wang (Admin)
  • Guitar: McCollum Meghann
  • Tuning used: Double Slack (DGDF#BD)
  • Recording devices: Sound Professionals T-mic, Sharp MD-SR60(S) and Cool Edit software
  • I am not a prolific song writer. This is my second song in many years. While sitting in front of the PC, I was noodling in Double Slack tuning and found the main riff. Two weeks later, I had a new song. My hope is that a song by a guy in NJ can still be considered “slack key”.

Holy smokes. Cpatch is on a posting frenzy today. I'm really glad you guys put this CD project together and looking forward to hearing everyone play. You guys got a new song out of me which I'm psyched about too. Thank you to Reid and Sarah for helping me name my little ditty.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile
My contribution is my arrangement of "Ku'u Lei Awapuhi." I chose this because Keola's version was the first slack key song I heard and it instantly hooked me. This is the "second take," and I would sure like to do it over, but after all that stuff I posted, I got to stick to me own words.
Raymond Stovich

George Kahumoku is contributing an original instrumental piece he wrote for a couple of inmates to whom he was teaching slack key.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
I recorded a version of Kui Lee's "Lahainaluna". Bill Pellazar got me
hooked on this song when he first drove over to Ka'anapali to play
some slack key with me. He pulled this version out when we were
sitting on the lawn behind the Naupaka at the Ka'anapali beach hotel.
The sun had set and the tourists were wandering by wondering what we
were doing. The next time we got together he went over it again, and
then I tried to work out his version.

I recorded this using a RainSong WS2000 and a Boss 532, about two
miles away from the "L" at Lahainaluna.

I recorded some other songs, too - one of them in the public domain is ho'okipa paka:

http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/hookipapaka.mp3

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  4:19:49 PM  Show Profile

Cynthia's contribution is "Kaulana o'Hilo Hanakahi" (Lena Machado) with Uke with her voice. My contribution is my standard warm-up piece "Moe Uhane" (Sonny Chillingworth), which, of course, is a guitar solo. Our duet submission is "Ku'u Lei Awapuhi" (Emily Taylor) with guitar, uke and vocal. Probably sounds a little different than Raymond's "Awapuhi" submission. I do not mind at all hearing several renditions of the same tune(s). Actually it would be interesting to hear what we sounded like if we all submitted the same tune!

Guitar was a Limited Edition Taylor 710 Koa/Cedar with a custom wide neck. Uke was a Kamaka concert. Recording equipment: Neumann TLM103 and KM183 mics thru Mackie 1604vlz preamps and into a PC through an Echo Layla box. Recorder/Editor was Cool Edit Pro 1.2a. Best of three takes, no overdubbing, no fancy editing.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  4:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,

I too recorded a version.......of something

Name of song: mele o e haole i ka liponia (credit marzullo)
my name: cmdrpiffle
what guitar: Washburn EA-20 mts
how recorded: single take, directly into computer. no pro-
cessing, no editing. mic: RadioShack
copy of an SM-57. No effects.

Info: This is a total practice piece similar to the
style I like to play. I wanted to keep it very
honest, no effects, no cleanup, complete
with mistakes and squeaks. It is also
improvised pretty much on the spot. I wanted
everyone to know what my style sounds like
when I play.
Somewhat faster piece of music than a lot of
SlackKey. I recorded it in Dec., and have
since slightly re-arrainged it. But this is
the original.
Tuning is CFCFAC
My 3 CD set........the Best Of....is coming out later in March.:)

Hey Andy, original piece too? Cool ! I was afraid I was gonna be the only one to fall on my sword :)

Commander

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student

Edited by - cmdrpiffle on 02/12/2003 4:36:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh ya,

Craig, I forgot to mention......I too couldnt find the original thread. So I sent really the previous post to your e-mail. If the above is good enough..(enough info) you can trash the e-mail.

Did you get the book yet?

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  4:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Here's the copy I sent Raymond:

"Morning Dew," by Eddie Kame and Larry Kimura

Taro patch tuning on a 1965 Guild D-40, recorded in glorious mono on minidisc with a $15 Sony mike and edited into shape with CoolEdit 2000.

Inspired by Uncle Ray, who got me started on this tune at a San Mateo workshop around 1996. I also listened to the Sons' original version, and those of Keola and Led and Keoki Kahumoku and Herb Ohta, Jr. I concocted the mildly-contrasting B section to provide a stronger contrast between the Sons-inspired A and Ray-inspired C sections. If I keep working at it, I'll get it right eventually.
BTW, in the course of researching my "On the Web" piece for AG, I came across Bill Campbell's site (http://members.cox.net/billcampbellmusic/bcm1.htm), with promo for his CD, and the first cut is--"E Ku`u Morning Dew." Played real purty, too (ignore the tinge of green in my complexion).
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  4:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Lawrence,

Actually, that may be kind of a neat idea. Everyone submitting the same piece.

Maybe if there is enough interest, and someone out there has the ability to compile such....

I think that Ku'u Lei Awapuhi might be a fine piece to start with.

Or...maybe someone could explain better than me how to convert to MP3 and we could put it on a website !

Aloha to you and Cynthia,

Mike

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  8:00:16 PM  Show Profile
When I first started learning to play, Hula Medley was one of the first songs I heard Doug McMaster play. I was influenced by Doug’s and Hal Kinnaman’s versions and made up my own when I couldn’t duplicate theirs. I play it using a different rhythm just to be different. Kent Brisby gave me a copy of Hal’s tab in a workshop in San Diego which I used as a basis. It's the same tune Sheila and I performed at the student concert at Aloha Camp last August.

I used my Taylor 714CE-LTD Cocobolo guitar and Keith Marzullo’s BOSS digital recorder with direct plug-in to record it. I used Taropatch tuning.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 02/12/2003 8:01:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  8:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:

Info: This is a total practice piece similar to the
style I like to play. I wanted to keep it very
honest, no effects, no cleanup, complete
with mistakes and squeaks. It is also
improvised pretty much on the spot. I wanted
everyone to know what my style sounds like
when I play.

last weekend at patrick landeza's workshop, he did some simple practice pieces, and don narup pulls out pieces like this. sometimes they're the most pleasing to hear. bruce lamb is trying to get more of us to do this...

i like squeaks, by the way. i think that it was keola beamer who said that they're great clues for figuring out what a player is doing.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  9:36:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Russell Letson

Here's the copy I sent Raymond:

"Morning Dew," by Eddie Kame and Larry Kimura

Taro patch tuning on a 1965 Guild D-40, recorded in glorious mono on minidisc with a $15 Sony mike and edited into shape with CoolEdit 2000.

Inspired by Uncle Ray, who got me started on this tune at a San Mateo workshop around 1996. I also listened to the Sons' original version, and those of Keola and Led and Keoki Kahumoku and Herb Ohta, Jr. I concocted the mildly-contrasting B section to provide a stronger contrast between the Sons-inspired A and Ray-inspired C sections. If I keep working at it, I'll get it right eventually.
BTW, in the course of researching my "On the Web" piece for AG, I came across Bill Campbell's site (http://members.cox.net/billcampbellmusic/bcm1.htm), with promo for his CD, and the first cut is--"E Ku`u Morning Dew." Played real purty, too (ignore the tinge of green in my complexion).
[Thanks, Russell. I was also pleased that Eddie and Myrna Kamae enjoyed my arrangement of his songquote]
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  9:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Mino'aka is a tune I've often recorded and listened to so I could fine tune my playing. For my submission I did about a dozen takes over the course of a weekend and picked the best one. Below is a slightly condensed version of what I sent Raymond.

------------------

Song: Mino'aka
Arranger: Keola Beamer
Tuning: Taro Patch

Mino'aka is Hawaiian for "smile". I chose this tune because it's such a nice arrangement. For me it's challenging yet playable. It's from the book "Keola Beamer Teaches Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar".

I've been playing guitar for just over 25 years; mostly electric. I got Keola's book in '98 when it came out. At the time I couldn't make any progress in playing slack key so I put it aside. About a year ago I decided to diligently work on learning some slack key tunes and this is one of the tunes I learned.

The guitar is a Larrivee L-03. I recorded myself using a Sony NZ-707 portable Minidisc recorder and Sony T-type stereo condenser microphone. I did an analog transfer from Minidisc to my PC. No post processing was done on the audio.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  9:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Bill. I really enjoy your Kauai on My Mind.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  10:16:47 PM  Show Profile

Note to Russell Letson - I too was at that workshop with Ray at that Slack Key Festival in San Mateo back then. As I recall there were about 6 or 8 of us students that day. I was already playing Morning Dew at the time. Cynthia and I have Modeled our version after the Sons of Hawaii original (By playing along with it endlessly) which is at a somewhat quicker tempo than is now popular.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/12/2003 10:22:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  11:17:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

Welcome aboard Bill. I really enjoy your Kauai on My Mind.
Thanks. I just found out about this Ohana from Craig a little while ago. I think that it is a marvelous way to share this beautiful form of music. I hope I can figure out how to send these messages before too long.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000