Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What did you submit for the CD?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  11:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Mino'aka is Hawaiian for "smile". I chose this tune because it's such a nice arrangement. For me it's challenging yet playable. It's from the book "Keola Beamer Teaches Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar".

great choice, gary! i love this arrangement.

i went to your home page (the link is on your member's page). what a trove of information on hawaiian guitar!

keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  11:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I love to sit around and noodle on my guitar, listening to the sweetness of slack key licks strung together, trying new variations, patterns, combinations. I call the piece I sent to Raymond "Saimin Slack Key Ekahi." I use a pair of Octava MC012 small diaghragm condenser mics, M-Audio preamp and soundcard, and Cool Edit Pro software. I edited out one phrase where I hit the strings too hard and distorted, then I fooled around with limiting and normalizing to get a "hot" recording level.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  02:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
I've been playing/learning for about eight months.

Selected Cut:
Nanea Kou Maka I Ka`le`ale`a / Salomila (Medley? parts of both)
The ˆNanea... is Uncle Raymonds style, well, as close as I can get anyways!
And my attempt at Salomila was inspired by Ikaika Brown, who plays it slowly enough for me to pick-it-up. Thank you Ikaika!

Why this mele:
These are the songs I seem to be playing over and over, so am the most fluid with them, and somehow they just fell together. My alternating bass is absent or weak sometimes on the recording, though I've gotten more solid with it since recording; or maybe because of the recording, and the 137 or so takes!

I also sent Raymond a rehearsal track of Moloka`i Nui A Hina from our San Francisco Nahenahe Chorus, in case he wants to add other stuff, fillers. We're directed by John Lehrack.

Equipt:
Larrivée OM-50, Rosewood/Cedar, very worn Elixr strings
Sony ECM-MS907 Stereo Mic.
Sony MD Recorder into Mac G4 via Tascam US-224 Digital Interface, Cubasis and Soundesign Felt-Tip Software.

Notes:
Yeah, that's my refrigerator in the background! My finest recording was scrubbed when the ice-maker dumped it's load right as I was finishing the perfect run-through!

What I learned from this process:
I need to work on my endings!

cheers,
Ross-asaurus

Edited by - rossasaurus on 02/13/2003 02:11:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  02:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha Bill...that was quick!

My submission was Ozzie's Kani Ki Ho`alu, for the sole reason that it's the only song I can play all the way through at the moment (at least I thought I could until I started trying to record it). I used a Larrivee DV-03R with a B-Band UST pickup and A1 preamp, played directly into a Tascam PocketStudio digital recorder. The resulting MP3 was then copied to my iMac, spruced up a little in Amadeus II (exciter, stereo imaging, and reverb) and mixed with a nice rain background (originally because it masked out a nasty hiss I couldn't get rid of and then later because I liked it).

Just for fun I played with finger picks (Alaska Piks) but no thumbpick (and no nail) to see if I could get more of an acoustic bass sound and bring out the melody as well. Interesting experiment but the bass needs to be stronger.

I think that's everything, other than it's in Taro Patch. I've almost got a few more songs finished, so by the time the next CD rolls around I'll actually get to choose the one I like best!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  11:36:14 AM  Show Profile
Song: Mauna Loa
Time: 1:45 minutes
Tuning: Taro Patch
Arranger: Ozzie Kotani
Aloha! I picked Mauna Loa because it is my favorite of the 4 songs I can so far play. I just started playing Slack Key Guitar 5 months ago in 9/2002 & have played standard tuned guitar since I was 16, in 1986. I'm playing an acoustic Jay Turser JTA-DS guitar and my old cassette player sounds like I need to upgrade! Mahalo for listening past the tape noise and hearing that I love Ki ho'alu!

Cheers,
Stacey

Edited by - Stacey on 02/15/2003 11:33:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  2:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm responsible for transferring Stacey's contribution from tape to CD, so I've heard her contribution already and can attest that her playing is excellent. Only 5 months? Wow!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

kahili
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  3:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,
Name of song: Queens’ Jubilee
Tuning: G Taro Patch
Arrangement: Inspired by Sunday Manoa – my version
Name: Leo K.
User ID: kahili
Guitar: Takamine Classical
How the song was recorded : mic / using a free trial program called PolderbitS Sound Recorder and Editor

This is my instrumental version of Queens’ Jubilee. Peter Moon was another musician that turn me on to slack key. With his licks and runs it made a lot of the younger generation sit up and listen.
kahili
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  11:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
In my beginner fumbling way I submitted a song titled Don's Mele and I think Craig sent a second one for me, titled Lalo Luna. Both are songs I have made up as my skills are limited when it comes to playing a real slack key song.

I heard my first Slack Key music in February 02 and after several months of finding out what it was and listening to more of it, I decide to try and play it. I purchased my first guitar in June last year and started the slack key journey.
I may never play well, but the forming of friendships and associations with wonderful, helpful people has been truly gratifying
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  2:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Don't let him fool you...Don plays much, much better than he lets on, especially for someone who has been playing guitar for less than a year!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  12:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
well, my first foray into recording was a mini disaster.aside from all my human error issues, my minidisc recorder went on the blink (something wrong with the recording level),in trying to amplify it i wound up with distortion on my recording. so, my humble submission, clams and all....
name / lee t
username / kihoalukid
song / mauna loa, leonard kwan arrangement
tuning / F wahine
guitar / lowden 032
equipment / portable sony minidicsc player/recorder
& cheap sony mike

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  04:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Aloha everyone, my name is Eric and I just found out about this cool sight. It's so refreshing to see other musicians sharing the same interest. How can I obtain a copy of this Slack-key CD?
It's so inspiring to hear/see other people's interpretations of Slack-Key stylings. Please email me if this is possible. Mahalos,
elaride @ gte.net
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  12:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Eric,
Welcome to our family.
Sorry to inform you that only contributors to the disk received copies, and everyone agreed not to make additional copies. We did this on the advice of a Copyright Attorney. Perhaps you can link up with a member and listen to theirs.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000