Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Analog recording - comments from Chris Thile
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  09:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Since we often discuss digital recording and related gear, I thought some might be interested in this interview:

Chris Thile: talks about the unique production of his record.

You might also be interested in watching the performances. Although not Hawaiian, the musicianship is beyond words.

Andy

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  11:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Thanks, Andy!

I'm a huge fan of recording live in the studio. Which is really what he's talking about -- gather up the band, set up a couple of mics and play the dang song. That's the way all of my favorite recordings were done.

One thing: he makes it sound as if it can only be done with vintage analog gear. Not true. Sure, Telefunken mics and valve preamps and Studer decks (or what ever they used) can impart a certain sound. And I love tape saturation... But don't for a second believe that engineers don't make edits and fixes on analog recordings.

Korg's 1-bit digital recorders are capable of capturing much more audio detail that tape ever could. (This is coming from soemone who rather record on take given the choice...)Any decent mic and mic pre can make your performance sound good if you give a good performance.

So it ain't the gear, it's the chops.

And the heart. Mostly the heart....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000