Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Where is the Hawaiian language thread?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  4:51:23 PM  Show Profile
I know its here but where? Looking for children's songs in Hawaiian online. In particular, I am looking for twinkle twinkle little star.

Thanks,

Ginny

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  5:18:57 PM  Show Profile
ok I did find twinkle twinkle little star. Anyone know where the Hawaiian language thread is?
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  5:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Iz has one recording of a medley - Ahi Wela/Twinkle twinkle little star. Of course. since Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was not written in Hawaiian, it was translated into the `olelo and does not have the structure of a traditional Hawaiian song. It is very beautiful none the less. He singles Twinkle Twinkle with the same tune as Ahi Wela, which takes a song so simple from our childhood times and makes it into something so hauntingly beautiful...he elevates it, I guess you might say. It was one of the mele which got me hooked on Iz. This big, grown-up Hawaiian man no shame to sing a children's song and no shame make it more beautiful. Seems to me it took nerve to do such.

Mele.com link It is available from Auntie Maria, but the sample on her web site does not go long enough for you to hear the Twinkle Twinkle part.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  5:28:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Wcerto that is where I found the words. Looking to teach Hawaiian version to kids. Do you know any Hawaiian language websites dedicated to children?

Also, Do you know if this is the Hawaiian Pledge in its entirety?
E KA HAE O HAWAII

KE HO`O HANOHANO NEIAU IA OE

E KA HAE O HAWAII PONO`I

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  6:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Here are some good keiki links:

http://www.kidskonnect.com/content/view/175/27/
http://www.hisurf.com/hawaiian/names.html

This has lots of language links:
http://gohawaii.about.com/od/language/Hawaiian_Language_Books_and_Information.htm

This has history, language, arts & crafts for keiki:
http://www.tammyyee.com/keiki.html

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  8:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Wanda. Jingle bells isn't like a Hawaiian song too.
Regarding this pledge it might have modern roots in the current sovereignty movement. Can't find any from the monarchy period.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 09/21/2007 8:21:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  01:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Check out Leon and Malia's two CD's "Keiki Calabash" and "Hawai'i Kids Praise." They are absolutely wonderful and feature keiki's voices singing with Leon and Malia and sometimes on their own as well. They are fantastic.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  01:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Oh yeah, if you want to hear Iz's "Ahi Wela/Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" medley as done in the studio, it's on his album "Alone in Iz World."

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  03:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Ginny - I also meant to say that we do not have a specific Hawaiian language thread here on Taro Patch. The idea has been kicked around but no new category heading has been set up. I think right now, "Talk Story" is your best bet.

It would be extremely helpful to have category like this, and there is discussion on the topic under the "Hawaiian Music" category, where I think most folks agreed it would be a good idea. We have luck to have plenty of language experts help us out and guide us.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  06:22:26 AM  Show Profile
Ginny-

If you are interested in Hawaiian children's songs that are not necessarily just translations of English songs, have a look at this recording from the '60's by Alice Namakelua and Mary Kawena Pukui:

Mele.com link

The Hawaiian lyrics and English translations are included. I have a copy of this CD that I've misplaced, but if memory serves, the singers also give explanation of when particular songs were used (for example, I believe one was sung during rainy weather to ask the sun to come out--probably very popular in Hilo).

You can listen to samples on the website link above (mele.com).

Also, to my knowledge this may be the only place where you can hear Auntie Alice on CD (the original was vinyl, of course).

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  07:52:48 AM  Show Profile
I have Mary Kawena Pukui, No Na Mamali`i, put out by Mountain Apple Co. It means "For the Children". It consists of little Hawaiian verses used to teach children the alphabet and arithmetic, as well as games and some other little songs which are English in origin. The liner notes have all the Hawaiian words as well as the English translations. We got ours from Bishop Museum. I think it is priceless just to hear Kawena's voice.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  04:38:48 AM  Show Profile
(I relocated this post from the recipe topic):

Aloha Ginny,

Do you mean sites that are for English-speaking children to learn the language? -- No, but they may exist, I just haven't found them. I suspect, however, that the immersion school system in the state of Hawai'i is the main teaching mechanism for kids.

Perhaps one of our TP members who is connected with the immersion schools might know of a site that presents material in Hawaiian for that young age group?

Meanwhile, check out the 'Aha Punana Leo site.
http://www.ahapunanaleo.org/eng/learnhawaiian/learn_hawaiian.html

If you are interested in teaching materials that you can order, you can take a look at the 'Aha Punana Leo "learning materials" -- there is a pdf catalog you can download of books and tapes and some classroom aids created primarily for children K-6. http://www.ahapunanaleo.org/eng/assets/puke_oka_hou_05.pdf

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  5:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

Meanwhile, check out the 'Aha Punana Leo site.
http://www.ahapunanaleo.org/eng/learnhawaiian/learn_hawaiian.html
Sarah,

Have you ever tried their online course? Or anyone other Taropatchers ever try it? I met a guy at the Makaha Sons show who lives in Connecticut who is on his 3rd course delivered over the internet. Sounds like he's learned a lot so perhaps an excellent resource for anyone wanting to learn Hawaiian.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  03:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Andy,

I haven't done it myself, but it is an excellent resource. The texts, which I have used, are those that are used at the U of Hawai'i, and approach the language from the Hawaiian point of view. That is a very interesting aspect.

That's cool that there is someone else in CT who is interested in Hawaiian language. Maybe he'll post here!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:10:49 AM  Show Profile
I did them for a couple of semesters back when they were administered by UHH (`Aha Punana Leo took over the course a couple of years ago). They were very good, but extremely intensive, at least for me. I dropped out because I just couldn't squeeze in all of that studying while dealing with work and family. (Just like it has been hard to find time for forum surfing...) I am hoping they will still be offering them once the kids are gone to college and I get a bit more time for myself.
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  5:22:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

Computer was down for a while so I could not get on. Thanks for all of your great responses.
wcerto thanks for the links.

Noeau, I think teaching them songs they know that are translated might be a better jumping off point for 5 year olds. Small steps, I am only a part time teacher and my Hawaiian is very limited. Did sing Hawaii Aloha with them the other day. Thought I was going to cry. Taught myself this song in NYC and here I was it singing it with Hawaiian kids. Only a few knew but it was a nice surprise.

MikeJ thanks, Alice Namakelua dreamt the name of my Hawaiian language teacher. Wanted to find out more about her.

Thanks Hawaii music fan...gotta get those cd's

Sarah that is such a logical answer, thanks for telling me. That would be a perfect first stop.

Everywhere I look online for Hawaiian language people point here? http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/
What do you all think?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000