Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 With all my love
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  01:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone know how to say this or something like it in 'olelo? I know that me ku'u aloha means with my love, but how would you get the English word "all" across?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  04:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e 'Alika,

Well, literally, "all" would be "a pau" (until done). And one might say "me ku'u aloha a pau", but I believe it would sound funny to a native speaker. I think this is an instance where an idiom in one language doesn't translate literally into another. After all, one isn't really giving ALL one's love: one has more left for others. So the question is, what is the "intent" behind our English expression -- boundless affection, perhaps? Deep and/or everlasting? Unrestricted devotion?

So to suggest a way to convey your thought, perhaps "me ke aloha pau 'ole" -- "with endless aloha" -- might work. To convey deep, serious aloha, one can say "me ke aloha no", where the "no" is the intensifier (with kahako over the o). And perhaps others on TP might have heard other Hawaiian expressions that would fit.

So much in Hawaiian is context-related: how and when it is spoken. As in English, expression, tone of voice, and intent color what words mean. So when it comes to writing, sometimes it is hard to make absolutely sure you are clear (as many posts on this forum have demonstrated!)

I hope this helps.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
The instance when I would use it would be to close a note to someone.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000